Did not realize the Sabres were 31st in attendance...pathetic

matter2003

We claim to be hockey town but are almost dead last in attendance ahead of only Ottawa??

Pretty pathetic. I know the team has not been good for much of the last decade but this team is definitely worth the ticket the last few months...hopefully fans come back once this team becomes good over the next few years. 

I get why they have gone away but it still is really disappointing to see Arizona out drawing us by over 2K "fans" a game.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

• Haha (+1) 1

What’s pathetic is how this organization can come this close to ruining one of the best hockey markets in the league.  

The Sabres have literally a historic record now of missing the playoffs and you want to blame the fans?

This avg is from the entire season especially the first few months when they were icing on paper one of the worst teams ever and a league low payroll.  Now that the team is finding itself I’ve already noticed the place looks more full on tv.  Personally, I’m hoping covid continues to become a thing of the past and I can easily cross the border and take my family to the usual 3-5 games per year. 

Winning is what will bring fans back and that’s on the Sabres.  Luckily it looks like they’re finally on the right track….

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

If the team was good, they would have had bigger crowds. It’s not pathetic. It’s what the team deserved this year.

And if it wasn’t for the last two months, they deserved to be 32nd.

Attendance will be better next year.

• Like (+1) 5

32 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

We claim to be hockey town but are almost dead last in attendance ahead of only Ottawa??

Pretty pathetic. I know the team has not been good for much of the last decade but this team is definitely worth the ticket the last few months...hopefully fans come back once this team becomes good over the next few years. 

I get why they have gone away but it still is really disappointing to see Arizona out drawing us by over 2K "fans" a game.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance/_/sort/homePct

I'm shocked we weren't last.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Can you blame the fans ? The 10 or 11 years the Pegulas have owned the team could be a case study on how to alienate a fanbase. Add to that how other markets routinely refer to or talk down the Sabres or the city of Buffalo despite the rich history of hockey in that region. Pretty much nothing but negative press for the last decade. As others have said winning will bring them back.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Derrico said:

What’s pathetic is how this organization can come this close to ruining one of the best hockey markets in the league.  

The Sabres have literally a historic record now of missing the playoffs and you want to blame the fans?

This avg is from the entire season especially the first few months when they were icing on paper one of the worst teams ever and a league low payroll.  Now that the team is finding itself I’ve already noticed the place looks more full on tv.  Personally, I’m hoping covid continues to become a thing of the past and I can easily cross the border and take my family to the usual 3-5 games per year. 

Winning is what will bring fans back and that’s on the Sabres.  Luckily it looks like they’re finally on the right track….

I actually doubt the Sabres will ever get back to full capacity on a regular basis. And it has less to do with the last ten years. I think the market, in general, doesn't want to spend money on sports anymore. Tickets are expensive. Concessions are expensive. And people here have stopped caring enough to empty their wallets. Even for the Bills. We are the best team in the NFL and we didn't sell out every game. 

This idea will go over like a lead balloon. But if I owned the Sabres, instead of pouring money into KBC, I would consider building a brand new arena in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Closer to fans that value hockey more, but close enough for Buffalo area fans to get to games.

32 minutes ago, MBD said:

If you've watched any games, it wouldn't be a surprise.  It's probably why (rumor has it) Kim wants to sell the team.

Any evidence of that other than a tweet?

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Nope.  Which is why I said "rumor has it." 

But it wouldn't surprise me.  Terry's the hockey lover and the franchise (obviously) hasn't done well and reportedly isn't making much money.  The fans seem to hate them so might be a good idea to sell and let someone have a crack at it, allowing them to focus on the Bills, their real prize. 

6 minutes ago, MBD said:

Nope.  Which is why I said "rumor has it." 

But it wouldn't surprise me.  Terry's the hockey lover and the franchise (obviously) hasn't done well and reportedly isn't making much money.  The fans seem to hate them so might be a good idea to sell and let someone have a crack at it, allowing them to focus on the Bills, their real prize. 

If you sell the team you run the risk of the team leaving. 

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I actually doubt the Sabres will ever get back to full capacity on a regular basis. And it has less to do with the last ten years. I think the market, in general, doesn't want to spend money on sports anymore. Tickets are expensive. Concessions are expensive. And people here have stopped caring enough to empty their wallets. Even for the Bills. We are the best team in the NFL and we didn't sell out every game. 

This idea will go over like a lead balloon. But if I owned the Sabres, instead of pouring money into KBC, I would consider building a brand new arena in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Closer to fans that value hockey more, but close enough for Buffalo area fans to get to games.

That was a lead balloon in water over the Marianas Trench.

Buffalo will spend money on a team that wins. The Bills actually do come close to selling out every game; the weather tends to be the biggest factor in regards to attendance to the games. 

The Sabres belong in Buffalo, no where else.

2 minutes ago, MBD said:

Yup.  Maybe that threat is what's needed.

Sure, threaten the fans; always a great idea

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Can you blame the fans ? The 10 or 11 years the Pegulas have owned the team could be a case study on how to alienate a fanbase. Add to that how other markets routinely refer to or talk down the Sabres or the city of Buffalo despite the rich history of hockey in that region. Pretty much nothing but negative press for the last decade. As others have said winning will bring them back.

Hey!  Your forgetting about the beer shelf installed at the urinals!!!

• Haha (+1) 2

Three seasons.  That was the longest streak without playoffs that Sabres fans have ever had to endure.  Three.  2001-04.

Counting this soon-to-be-done season, the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for 11 full seasons.  We have not made playoffs even a single time during this ownership.

Something is pathetic here, and it's not the lack of support  from the fans.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

That was a lead balloon in water over the Marianas Trench.

The Sabres belong in Buffalo, no where else.

Sure, threaten the fans; always a great idea

Agreed.  As a Sabres fan living in Ontario I would so much rather go to Buffalo.  I’ve rarely had any long delays or issues at fort erie bridge crossing.  Queenston / Lewiston is a nightmare and I haven’t had much luck the few times I’ve crossed at the rainbow bridge either.  

I love the fact we can cross the border at fort Erie and it’s literally a 7 minute drive to the downtown/hotels/arena from the border.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JujuFish said:

Three seasons.  That was the longest streak without playoffs that Sabres fans have ever had to endure.  Three.  2001-04.

Counting this soon-to-be-done season, the Pegulas have owned the Sabres for 11 full seasons.  We have not made playoffs even a single time during this ownership.

Something is pathetic here, and it's not the lack of support  from the fans.

So it's the Pegulas then, right?  You think they're intentionally trying to screw over the franchise and its fans?

22 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I'm not sure what your game is here.  Do you honestly not think the Pegulas' performance as owners is pathetic?

There's no game.  It was a simple question.  You're saying they're incompetent.  They've spent resources up the wazoo on players, facilities, coaches and GMs.  And still the team has sucked under their ownership.  So, again, should they sell the team, with the chance that the new owner(ship group) sees the lack of fan support and takes them elsewhere?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.