Can Jacob Bryson be effective in the playoffs?

LGR4GM

Since @SwampD thinks we lost the ECF twice because we weren't big enough and claims that small players aren't effective in the playoffs, do we think if we were to make the playoffs next year that Jacob Bryson could be an effective player. Effective means productive and consistently reliable. 

Discuss. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Since @SwampD thinks we lost the ECF twice because we weren't big enough and claims that small players aren't AS effective in the playoffs, do we think if we were to make the playoffs next year that Jacob Bryson could be an effective player. Effective means productive and consistently reliable. 

Discuss. 

Fixed. And I also said tough enough.

Apparently, size is only an asset if you are small and use it to be quick and get inside of guys, but not if you are big and use it to keep guys away.

Well, it's asking a lot for a young defenseman in his 2nd NHL season to be productive and consistently reliable the first time he (and almost all of his teammate) makes the playoffs.  Especially since the Sabres will probably be a low seed and playing one of the best teams in the EC.

So yeah, probably the Conn Smythe for Bryson.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Fixed. And I also said tough enough.

Apparently, size is only an asset if you are small and use it to be quick and get inside of guys, but not if you are big and use it to keep guys away.

Not true, Samuelsson is an effective NHL in part because he is bigger and has strength and reach. 

Just now, nfreeman said:

Well, it's asking a lot for a young defenseman in his 2nd NHL season to be productive and consistently reliable the first time he (and almost all of his teammate) makes the playoffs.  Especially since the Sabres will probably be a low seed and playing one of the best teams in the EC.

So yeah, probably the Conn Smythe for Bryson.

Maybe you need to chill out, seem a little on edge this morning. 

This issue at hand is what skills are useful in the playoffs and why size isn't the only one. I think that is really what this comes down to. 

And no one said "Big good, small bad." Good players are good because they are good, no matter what size.

I'm just surprised that for a stats guy, you've never delved deeper into this. We've seen the past several years that the SC champs have been at the top end of the weight list by ice time. Dallas/Tampa was 2 and 4. St Louis was #1. Too lazy to look for others, but we're not just making this up because we're stupid and lazy and it's all our tiny brains (and my broken brain) can handle.

As you know, I really like Bryson. I am very curious to see how he will handle playoff hockey. I would love for you to be right. I have my doubts.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

And no one said "Big good, small bad." Good players are good because they are good, no matter what size.

I'm just surprised that for a stats guy, you've never delved deeper into this. We've seen the past several years that the SC champs have been at the top end of the weight list by ice time. Dallas/Tampa was 2 and 4. St Louis was #1. Too lazy to look for others, but we're not just making this up because we're stupid and lazy and it's all our tiny brains (and my broken brain) can handle.

As you know, I really like Bryson. I am very curious to see how he will handle playoff hockey. I would love for you to be right. I have my doubts.

I have looked it up. You have to be strong to win in the NHL, that we agree upon. You can be very strong at 5'9" if you work at it.

Can Torey Krug be effective in the playoffs?

I would like to see Bryson add a little more strength to his frame, but it really comes down to the usual things: can he avoid the constant forechecking hits that start out each game/series in the playoffs, can he move the puck quickly to turn those attacking checks into odd-man rushes, can he carry the puck up-ice with speed...  and most importantly who is his partner, goalie, and the remainder of the team?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I have looked it up. You have to be strong to win in the NHL, that we agree upon. You can be very strong at 5'9" if you work at it.

Strength has a real correlation with height, and obviously with weight as well. Bigger teams as a distribution of players will lend to stronger teams, even if short/light individuals CAN be stronger than taller/heavier ones

The question is where Bryson lies in the distribution of strength for someone his size, and what other things he brings to the table

Assuming we ever get back to the playoffs and Bryson is still on the team when that happens, sure Bryson can succeed in the playoffs.  We just can't have a team of mighty mites.  We need a diversified mix of guys.  I think that is what we are building to.  We have big guys like Tuch, Thompson, Samuelsson and Power.  Dahlin and Cozens are proving pretty feisty as well.  I don't see having a couple of smaller guys as an issue. 

Also Bryson's decision making and positioning are excellent.  He is also very quick.  He avoids many potential problems with those attributes.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm sorry to say his destiny is that of a career AHL'er.... he's just too small.    

Do bette... er..  bigger.  

I'd argue Bryson is better than Ruhwedel (albeit a skosh smaller) and Ruhwedel's been hanging around as a 7/8D for 10 seasons now, including skating the Stanley Cup once.

Edited by DarthEbriate