Can Jacob Bryson be effective in the playoffs?

LGR4GM

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SwampD said:

After last night and tonight,… I have my doubts,…

although he was even tonight.

Jury is still out.

I though he struggled against big bodies tonight and I don’t think it was a coincidence that it showed more because the opponents were bringing it harder than 90 per cent of the games Ive see him defend.

That said, he’s played 100. Maybe games like tonight help him grow.

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I though he struggled against big bodies tonight and I don’t think it was a coincidence that it showed more because the opponents were bringing it harder than 90 per cent of the games Ive see him defend.

That said, he’s played 100. Maybe games like tonight help him grow.

What I like about playing a bunch of top teams in a row here is that it helps to separate the wheat from the chaff.... who can rise to the challenge?  Who is simply surviving out there?

Borderline NHL talent will struggle and Bryson has struggled, whereas a guy like Samuelsson has stepped up his game.

That said he's not the only one.   

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know that one of the implications of this thread is that people believe they call the game different in the playoffs and penalties are not called but statistically that is incorrect. There are actually more penalties and more power plays during the playoffs. 

That doesn't mean that they also don't let more go.

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I understand that but maybe not as much as is perceived.

Of course. It's also not nothing, though.

It's enough to be concerned about a 5'9" defender. Especially after watching these last two games.

Edited by SwampD

Bryson, like 1/2 the players on our current NHL roster, is not a finished product.

The last two games showed what our defence can expect to face in games against contenders. Bryson was not the only one who struggled at times. Bryson and 80% of our D, is young though.  There is still room for growth and adaptation.

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

Bryson, like 1/2 the players on our current NHL roster, is not a finished product.

The last two games showed what our defence can expect to face in games against contenders. Bryson was not the only one who struggled at times. Bryson and 80% of our D, is young though.  There is still room for growth and adaptation.

Agree. I don’t know what the benchmarks for an NHL defenseman to be considered developed. Is there a generally accepted metric in terms of age or games played?

Bryson is 24 (turns 25 in Nov), and despite being in the Sabres system for three years, has only played 66 AHL games and about 100 NHL games due to Covid shortened seasons.  In a normal year and if he was able to avoid injuries, he would have played in another 80ish games at the pro level.  

He is an RFA at season’s end with his ELC expiring. 

Has Bryson “arrived” as an everyday NHL player on a good team? I can’t say that for sure.  I guess I would want to know if he’s fully developed as a prospect to make that determination. 

• LGR4GM locked this topic