How much does this affect the last draft class ?

RVJ

9 minutes ago, RVJ said:

Since we drafted several Russian players.

NHL suspends agreement, communication with KHL following Russia's invasion of Ukraine

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-power-rankings-stars-climb-wild-fall-as-power-balance-shifts-in-central-division/

Welcome to the board.  We have discussed this issue some in the prospects thread.  The bottom line is no one knows at this point.  If their economy collapses then obviously hockey development will take a hit.  The question then becomes will the prospects and their families try to leave for Canada or here?  Will they be allowed to leave.

In this next draft, I'd guess that many Russian players will see their draft position suffer and many will go undrafted.  Russian players here or in Canada should probably apply for refugee status to insure they can stay.  It's a huge mess, but one that palls in comparison to what's happening in the Ukraine.  However I'm sure it giving headaches to KA and his staff.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Welcome to the board.  We have discussed this issue some in the prospects thread.  The bottom line is no one knows at this point.  If their economy collapses then obviously hockey development will take a hit.  The question then becomes will the prospects and their families try to leave for Canada or here?  Will they be allowed to leave.

In this next draft, I'd guess that many Russian players will see their draft position suffer and many will go undrafted.  Russian players here or in Canada should probably apply for refugee status to insure they can stay.  It's a huge mess, but one that palls in comparison to what's happening in the Ukraine.  However I'm sure it giving headaches to KA and his staff.

I can't see michkov dropping  that would be absolutely insane .

2 hours ago, RVJ said:

Since we drafted several Russian players.

NHL suspends agreement, communication with KHL following Russia's invasion of Ukraine

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/nhl-power-rankings-stars-climb-wild-fall-as-power-balance-shifts-in-central-division/

Welcome to the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Never is a long time. You don't know how things will turn out.

Yeah - 2nd round picks are not usually around for a few years anyway if they ever make it to the NHL.  But if they wanted one of them here, I'm sure they could find their way over.  

18 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Never is a long time. You don't know how things will turn out.

I feel like this could go either way but feels more like a new iron curtain than anything in my experience to date. Maybe Kevyn Adams needs to book some tickets to Sweden.

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

I feel like this could go either way but feels more like a new iron curtain than anything in my experience to date. Maybe Kevyn Adams needs to book some tickets to Sweden.

Yeah. Def cold war vibe.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Russian athletes are going to be effectively locked out of western leagues.

47 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah. Def cold war vibe.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Russian athletes are going to be effectively locked out of western leagues.

I would be surprised.

If the Russian economy goes in the tank, players will find their way out.  I feel like it’s much different now than in the old iron curtain days.  Russians are too connected to the west.  People will figure out out how to get out.

I could be wrong.  I don’t have memories of the old days.

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would be surprised.

If the Russian economy goes in the tank, players will find their way out.  I feel like it’s much different now than in the old iron curtain days.  Russians are too connected to the west.  People will figure out out how to get out.

I could be wrong.  I don’t have memories of the old days.

The old days included credible government threats to family.  It very effectively kept Russian athletes in Russia right up until the wall in Germany came down.

After Mogilny’s defection, there was a time where he was exhibiting bizarre behavior, like not traveling with the team due to a sudden fear of flying.  There was more than a little speculation that he was receiving threats from the Motherland.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.