GDT: 3/10/2022, Vegas Knight @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ESPN+ 📺 and wgr 📻

LGR4GM

My observations of the game:

1. Anderson was outstanding when he needed to be. What a great game to get 300
  2. Best defensive effort of the year from the team last night
  3. Games like this keep the hopium bottle full especially for the young guys
  4. Hinostroza was flying around all game, I wouldn't mind resigning him
  5. I hope Fitzgerald is ok, he's got heart
  6. Best game by Samuelsson in quite awhile, if he keeps progressing that LD position is stocked
  7. Never felt the effort dropped in the 3rd period with the team down 2 players for most of the game. Impressive.
  8. Dahlin is awesome
  9. I don't remember jumping and shouting at a goal like I did on Olofsson's goal in quite awhile
  10. Is Mitts turning into our 3rd line center?? I thought he played much better defensively and I'm not sure he's speedy enough to be a top 2C and that's not a knock on him. 
  11. I'll be shocked if Tuch doesn't get the C if not next year, when Okposo moves on
  12. Did the crowd get the boys pumped or was it playing against Jack?? I kind of felt bad for him after the game on 2nd thought F him
  13. If I'll miss anything about Jack it will be that skating stride, dang it's elite, the Pegula's and GMKA had to celebrate that victory
  14. THE CROWD WAS AWESOME, welcome back
  15. Eakin had me eeeeeking again but his time will end soon enough
  16. I was entertained and if you'd told me a month ago that we'd go 3-2 against Minnesota, Toronto, LA Kings, Florida and Las Vegas, I'd have taken it without question.
Edited by jsb
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jsb said:

My observations of the game:

1. Anderson was outstanding when he needed to be. What a great game to get 300
  2. Best defensive effort of the year from the team last night
  3. Games like this keep the hopium bottle full especially for the young guys
  4. Hinostroza was flying around all game, I wouldn't mind resigning him
  5. I hope Fitzgerald is ok, he's got heart
  6. Best game by Samuelsson in quite awhile, if he keeps progressing that LD position is stocked
  7. Never felt the effort dropped in the 3rd period with the team down 2 players for most of the game. Impressive.
  8. Dahlin is awesome
  9. I don't remember jumping and shouting at a goal like I did on Olofsson's goal
  10. Is Mitts turning into our 3rd line center?? I thought he played much better defensively and I'm not sure he's speedy enough to be a top 2C and that's not a knock on him. 
  11. I'll be shocked if Tuch doesn't get the C if not next year, when Okposo moves on
  12. Did the crowd get the boys pumped or was it playing against Jack?? I kind of felt bad for him after the game on 2nd thought F him
  13. If I'll miss anything about Jack it will be that skating stride, dang it's elite, the Pegula's and GMKA had to celebrate that victory
  14. THE CROWD WAS AWESOME, welcome back
  15. Eakin had me eeeeeking again but his time will end soon enough
  16. I was entertained and if you'd told me a month ago that we'd go 3-2 against Minnesota, Toronto, LA Kings, Florida and Las Vegas, I'd have taken it without question.

Same to the bolded.

I also feel Tuch will be the Captain next season, I gotta find out where I can get my 50th anniversary Eichel jersey renumbered to 89.

3 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Same to the bolded.

I also feel Tuch will be the Captain next season, I gotta find out where I can get my 50th anniversary Eichel jersey renumbered to 89.

When you do let me know where you had it done because I have a #9 of his also. Need to have that Eichel removed also. On that note those blue jerseys looked awesome in the closeups.

Edited by jsb

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

When you do let me know where you had it done because I have a #9 of his also. Need to have that Eichel removed also. On that note those blue jerseys looked awesome in the closeups.

Up until last night I was in the camp of not really caring about the Eichel situation, but those post game comments have moved me squarely into ***** you territory. 

Craig Rivet on the emergency episode, "I've watched this kid for years act like a complete *****-head. He's a whiny little brat is what he is, he's a spoiled brat is what is..."

He's also talking about how he was instructed to toe the company line on the Instigators and not talk about Eichels behavior.

Edited by Mustache of God
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curt said:

And I completely agree with what Jesse Granger says here.  That is exactly why Eichel said those things.  If you want to give Eichel the full benefit of doubt, maybe he didn’t even really mean them.  That’s viewing it best possible light for Eichel.

But even that speaks volumes I would say.  Someone who, when they are going through difficult moments, lashes out and says purposely hurtful things that they don’t mean.  What would you say about that person?

Immature? Bratty? *****?  Maybe.

Inspirational? Good guy? Leader?  Probably not.

That is when a parent corrects a child.  Too me Jack is still a child.   Jack had an opportunity to congratulate the opponent, wish the fans well, and be positive and classy.   

Instead he lashed out with sarcastic comments.  Not a leader of men at all.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffalOhio said:

That is absolute horsesh..!  What a dick.  Bridge burned.

Perhaps you haven't been paying attention, but he burned that bridge a year and a half ago.

5 hours ago, BuffalOhio said:

Vinny needs to stay.  He has speed that can't be taught, and we don't have enough of that yet.  

He seemed rusty early in the year:  Positionally sound but hands of stone.  His hands have caught up quite a bit.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Andrew Peters said he and Craig Rivet were doing an emergency podcast tonight to discuss this topic. Will be up tomorrow I assume.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/after-the-whistle-with-andrew-peters-craig-rivet/id1590573108

Listening to it now, 30 seconds in and Rivet is ripping Eichel a new one. Interesting to hear how he was muzzled while in the employ of the Sabres. 

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

He's also talking about how he was instructed to toe the company line on the Instigators and not talk about Eichels behavior.

Of course, it would’ve negatively impacted his trade value. The team made the right decision there. 

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I love the guy, and his teammates clearly do as well. Precisely right, though, about being a #1 or even a 1A isn't something he should be doing right now.

Knowing Adams the way we do, my guess is that we go into next season with Anderson and UPL on the Sabres, and Levi and Portillo in A in a death match competition to be the first call up when Anderson inevitably gets hurt.  At that point one of the wunderkinder will be promoted, Anderson will retire but stay on as a development coach (not the goaltending coach, a development coach for all the players).  If one of the goalies falters, bring up the other.  As a minor coach he can take side trips home from time to time during the season but can still support the team.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

14 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Andrew Peters said he and Craig Rivet were doing an emergency podcast tonight to discuss this topic. Will be up tomorrow I assume.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/after-the-whistle-with-andrew-peters-craig-rivet/id1590573108

When I click on that, the most recent podcast is Oct 21, 2021.

Edit:  I found it here:  https://feeds.buzzsprout.com/1869800.rss

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I still would want a better back up for UPL. I think it’s in our best long-term interest to keep Levi and/or Portillo in Rochester, regardless of what emergency may be occurring on the Sabres bench. 

Me too.  But Adams doesn't want a blocker.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

That is when a parent corrects a child.  Too me Jack is still a child.   Jack had an opportunity to congratulate the opponent, wish the fans well, and be positive and classy.   

Instead he lashed out with sarcastic comments.  Not a leader of men at all.  

He is and always has been a selfish, arrogant , Masshole.  Nothing has changed.  He never once took responsibility for his failure as leader in the poor performance of the team.  I doubt he even understands it.  He quit on the team, failed in his role, and now chooses to trash the fans.  I was happy he was cut loose and I am very happy with the return thus far.  Tuch provides more value to a winning culture than Eichel ever would.  

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Who cares about John and what he said post game.

I don't think that he is worth booing.

The Sabres played a great game and won against a better team because they just played better and harder.  They wanted it more.

That's all that matters.

Your response is a classy and mature response. Too much attention about this game is directed toward the player and the response directed at him when the biggest takeaway should have been about how the Sabres played and  how jacked-up the crowd was (beyond the booing) in this arena. As you clearly and pointedly stated the Sabres played better and harder than the opposition. 

Allow me to give a minority view here. If the fans want to boo throughout the game when Jack was on the ice, that is their prerogative. As a paying customer they are allowed to do so. But the backside to the unrelenting booing is that when after the game the targeted player responds in a somewhat petulant and critical manner, that is also his prerogative. Fans act as if he is not entitled to sarcastically respond to the same fans who booed him throughout the game. I give credit to Jack for giving an honest answer about how he felt after the game. 

The people who are the loudest to indict him for his negative response after the game are the same boorish fans who put more effort in booing a traded player than in cheering their own team on in a game they played well. For the obnoxious fans, please spare me the sensitive act that a player didn't show class in an interview after he was subjected to a game full of boos. The moral of the story is: If you throw shiiiit, then don't be offended when it is thrown back at you. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Your response is a classy and mature response. Too much attention about this game is directed toward the player and the response directed at him when the biggest takeaway should have been about how the Sabres played and  how jacked-up the crowd was (beyond the booing) in this arena. As you clearly and pointedly stated the Sabres played better and harder than the opposition. 

Allow me to give a minority view here. If the fans want to boo throughout the game when Jack was on the ice, that is their prerogative. As a paying customer they are allowed to do so. But the backside to the unrelenting booing is that when after the game the targeted player responds in a somewhat petulant and critical manner, that is also his prerogative. Fans act as if he is not entitled to sarcastically respond to the same fans who booed him throughout the game. I give credit to Jack for giving an honest answer about how he felt after the game. 

The people who are the loudest to indict him for his negative response after the game are the same boorish fans who put more effort in booing a traded player than in cheering their own team on in a game they played well. For the obnoxious fans, please spare me the sensitive act that a player didn't show class in an interview after he was subjected to a game full of boos. The moral of the story is: If you throw shiiiit, then don't be offended when it is thrown back at you. 

The crowd was jacked up because of Eichel being here.  The Sabres actually did not outplay Vegas, they won with great goaltending- a rarity these past 10 years.  

As for your moral high ground stance on calling out obnoxious fans for booing Jack … that works both ways.  Some fans may behave in a boorish manner but  so does Jack.   His maturity level is still being called into question.  Not just in Buffalo either.  This was his chance to show some grace in defeat.  Instead we get wise cracks and cheap shots.  

18 minutes ago, JohnC said:

To the italics - on the surface it should be expected to be thrown back however there is a big difference between an obnoxious fan and a $10 million All-Star.  One of those two should understand restraint.  I would bet you the executive management team for the Las Vegas Golden Knights doesn’t feel good about what he said.

To the bold, I’m not sure honesty is the best policy when it comes to an emotional based statement like that.

On a side-note, I have a goddamn perma-grin, and i’m fairly sure last night had something to do with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The crowd was jacked up because of Eichel being here.  The Sabres actually did not outplay Vegas, they won with great goaltending- a rarity these past 10 years.  

As for your moral high ground stance on calling out obnoxious fans for booing Jack … that works both ways.  Some fans may behave in a boorish manner but  so does Jack.   His maturity level is still being called into question.  Not just in Buffalo either.  This was his chance to show some grace in defeat.  Instead we get wise cracks and cheap shots.  

If you think that I'm acting out of a sense of superiority, you are wrong. The targeted player responded in a negative way to how he was treated in this game. He gave an honest response to the question/s in the post game interview. The fans are allowed to behave within reason the way they want. They are paying customers. So the player gave an honest response on how he felt about it. As I said in the prior post: If you throw crap, then don't complain when it is thrown back. 

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

To the italics - on the surface it should be expected to be thrown back however there is a big difference between an obnoxious fan and a $10 million All-Star.  One of those two should understand restraint.  I would bet you the executive management team for the Las Vegas Golden Knights doesn’t feel good about what he said.

To the bold, I’m not sure honesty is the best policy when it comes to an emotional based statement like that.

On a side-note, I have a goddamn perma-grin, and i’m fairly sure last night had something to do with it. 

I'm not criticizing him or anyone else for giving an honest response. Emotion certainly was factor in his response. He is entitled to express his genuine feelings. 

Eichel's North South game still needs work. Yes, he has great rushes but I had forgotten how often they fail to reach the slot and then he just kinda hangs around the offensive zone. His pace of play has always been slower but it stood out last night to me. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sabres were only outplayed in the 2nd period (16-3 shots for Vegas.) 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you think that I'm acting out of a sense of superiority, you are wrong. The targeted player responded in a negative way to how he was treated in this game. He gave an honest response to the question/s in the post game interview. The fans are allowed to behave within reason the way they want. They are paying customers. So the player gave an honest response on how he felt about it. As I said in the prior post: If you throw crap, then don't complain when it is thrown back. 

This implies that it's a 1 for 1 and done situation. Fans boo, Eichel responds, everyone now has to be quiet. Fans "threw crap", Eichel tossed it back, and now this ain't a scene it's an arms race. 

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

“The fans are allowed to behave within reason the way they want.” I’m not convinced you actually believe that otherwise you wouldn’t characterize them as boorish for doing just that last night. 

Honest or not, Eichel’s response was immature, insulting, and classless. Brisson has more work to do with a client who just can’t help himself and has always been an emotional train wreck when handling adversity. 

And as I’ve said earlier, the same fans that booed his every possession also gave him a standing ovation during his tribute video. Guess Jack didn’t hear that when he took his little raised stick skate around in his show of thanks to the very fans he saw fit to throw under the bus later on. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 3