March of Progress?

Randall Flagg

It's probably a good thing that March is a murderer's row of games against playoff and bubble teams.  The first two were regulation wins.  I'd love to see the Sabres continue that run and rattle off a winning streak of 10 game or so, so that they could go into next season feeling they can go up against playoff teams without flinching.  I mean, if they can do it with this team, with this 4th line, with this goaltending.... maybe next season they can springboard off of that and launch into an actual successful season.

My goal for the rest the season is to ruin as many playoff drives as possible.  😈

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyK said:

The Sabres are showing signs of life, grit and fight we have not seen in years!!! ...and it is the young guns doing it... all good signs.

Go Sabres, This feels different.

In Adams we trust!

Welcome back to the board.

I hope you are right.

• Like (+1) 1

We talk a lot about "learning to win" and during the 6 game losing streak the teams leaders called out exactly why they were not winning. Execution, effort, level of play. The Toronto game they put that all together and the Minnesota game they did it again, ever though at times they were outplayed.

I don't like blaming effort because it becomes this scapegoat for everything. Oh if they had tried harder they would win. However, I think we're getting close to having enough talent where yes, playing at 80-100% effort is going to make you competitive most nights. That fearless attacking style is awesome and I'm really hoping with reinforcements coming (Power, Quinn, JJ, Levi/Portillo), this team is finally going to have the talent for the effort to matter.

• Like (+1) 4

On 3/6/2022 at 2:48 AM, LGR4GM said:

However, I think we're getting close to having enough talent where yes, playing at 80-100% effort is going to make you competitive most nights

Are you talking about the team as is right now, or the one with Quinn, JJ, Power, and hopefully Levi or another competent goalie?

Right now, the forward ranks have too many boat anchors, the D core is too thin and too young, and the goaltending is a tire fire. I'm confident we have the pipeline for the F and D, but while hopeful, I'm still not convinced we've found the G-spot.

creep GIF

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

And according to WGR 3 of the 4 wins the previous 3 Marches were in extra time.

Can we get to the same number of wins as the best March since the last lockout?  That would be surprising, but cool.

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Can we get to the same number of wins as the best March since the last lockout?  That would be surprising, but cool.

We play 8 more games in March

Out of those 8 only 1 is out of the playoff race. (CHI) Otherwise we are only playing desperate teams who are either holding a playoff spot for dear life or clawing their way into one. If the Sabres can win half of those games; we should be highly impressed 

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Out of those 8 only 1 is out of the playoff race. (CHI) Otherwise we are only playing desperate teams who are either holding a playoff spot for dear life or clawing their way into one. If the Sabres can win half of those games; we should be highly impressed 

@PASabreFan?

What difference (if any?) do you see in a Sabres team ending a bad season 8-5-1 instead of 2-10-2?

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@PASabreFan?

What difference (if any?) do you see in a Sabres team ending a bad season 8-5-1 instead of 2-10-2?

Who me?

I guess it would all depend on why we were winning and who it was against. If the Top Line continues to light it up and the other lines pitch in then I’d be cautiously optimistic for next year.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Who me?

I guess it would all depend on why we were winning and who it was against. If the Top Line continues to light it up and the other lines pitch in then I’d be cautiously optimistic for next year.

Flagged PA because he’s been vocal about results not mattering once the team is out of it, but it was really an open question.

For me, it’s been a development year, so I want to see development. The more games Krebs, Cozens and Mule have like the last 2, the more comfortable I am about the direction of the team.

If any success comes only on the backs of Anderson and Skinner that is less significant to me.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

That would be most impressive

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Flagged PA because he’s been vocal about results not mattering once the team is out of it, but it was really an open question.

For me, it’s been a development year, so I want to see development. The more games Krebs, Cozens and Mule have like the last 2, the more comfortable I am about the direction of the team.

If any success comes only on the backs of Anderson and Skinner that is less significant to me.

The results matter if the team starts to look competitive night in and night out and builds the attendance back game after game. That energy is something they can build on for the start of next year, even if the team's "momentum" doesn't carry from season to season.

All we have to do is go rewatch opening night this season and see the empty seats and hear the silence during the opening roster announcements. Go over .500 in March and then get Power on the team in April... and next season's opening night might look like a real opening night. That's important for a young team. Like Krebs said, they have to earn their fans back and that's what the remainder of season can be about.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

How many backup goalies have we faced? 6?

We are 5-1 against the backups and 2-2 against the starters.

Backups 

Mrazek (2) both wins (then he was waived), Kahkonen W and then he was traded, Brossoit W, M Smith L, and DeSmith W

Starters

Petersen, Knight both L's; Markstrom and Demko both W's

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How many backup goalies have we faced? 6?

We are 5-1 against the backups and 2-2 against the starters.

Backups 

Mrazek (2) both wins (then he was waived), Kahkonen W and then he was traded, Brossoit W, M Smith L, and DeSmith W

Starters

Petersen, Knight both L's; Markstrom and Demko both W's

Technically Knight is the backup for Bob in Florida

57 minutes ago, WildCard said:

7-3 with 4 games remaining; Caps, Rangers, Blackhawks, Jets.

Can't do worse than DeLuca .500

Edited by thewookie1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.