GDT - Sabres @ Blue Jackets - Feb 20, 2022 - 6:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B, WGR, BSOH

woods-racer

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I was watching from a distance while cooking and entertaining.  

The talent is the talent and much discussed.  Without Dahlin ours drops a ton.  

Granato needs to get more effort and consistency from everybody.   This group cannot get used to this.  

I watched NASCAR instead.  Several wrecks just like this game.  All kidding aside, yesterday someone was yelling for Anderson in goal.  Well that did not go well today.  Granato is out of ways to get through to these guys.  

• Like (+1) 1

I watched a defense in desperate need of Dahlin and Power. 

Worst game I've seen from Mule. Jokiharju was also bad. Hagg... oof. 

Mitts makes this team better. I thought he had a quiet but nice game.

Eakin, Bjork, olofsson... idk what they're bringing to the table. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd guess all 3 were out for at least 1 if not 2 empty net goals

Not a great night from them overall 

Sabres had a few spurts but Columbus out hustled, out passed, out skated the Sabres for most of the game and holy crap did they pick the corners of the net... I can't believe they are that accurate on their shots regularly... but yeh tonight they were.  Werenski's goal case in point.

2 hours ago, Nitro60 said:

I watched NASCAR instead.  Several wrecks just like this game.  All kidding aside, yesterday someone was yelling for Anderson in goal.  Well that did not go well today.  Granato is out of ways to get through to these guys.  

I don't think Granato can squeeze water out of a stone to the degree we'd need to look great every night.

When your 4th line is literally a black hole most games and your dmen's defensive play is suspect besides Dahlin mostly and we have a myriad of mediocre at best goaltenders; no amount of rah rah is going to will this team better when they're already worn down from the heavy game against the Avs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I was.  I left right after posting that and never looked back.  I rode 24 miles and stopped at three bars with a couple dozen of my friends.

_eXx1IYmRsuANBeI7S8JnCUuwMd9LZAAXGLGIgii

6YaFicn1Tw0p1qGiJUVL7Cbp_IYdb8STNPTq2q3r

Wa2S1R3kH4O-qc8WHkttiWZagmwKYfFfpdSonxgq

G6hQr-npbcOWRTyszf2adHqr1jhV_j90Ci7mZGSX

Looks like I didn't miss much in the 3rd period.

As someone who has ridden a bicycle under the influence, it has always been a miserable experience.  I’m not sure if it’s due to the level of intoxication or the distance which I had to ride but it sucked big time.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

As someone who has ridden a bicycle under the influence, it has always been a miserable experience.  I’m not sure if it’s due to the level of intoxication or the distance which I had to ride but it sucked big time.  

I'm part of a group that does it every Sunday night.

The last leg of the night did suck though.  It had nothing to do with having a few "ginger ales" and everything to do with the still 15 mph headwind that tried to keep me from making it home.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm part of a group that does it every Sunday night.

The last leg of the night did suck though.  It had nothing to do with having a few "ginger ales" and everything to do with the still 15 mph headwind that tried to keep me from making it home.

My fat ass would have passed out in 5 mins .

And you went 25 mils? 😵😵😵

I'm a Sabre fan. I'm getting numb and fatigued watching this team. It seems that most of our discussions are on the same loop with the same criticisms. After watching the Colorada game I got a spark of hope. Then I was brought back to reality after watching the Columbus game against a team that also played a back to back. It's so sad to see games played on the road in front of a full house with a raucous crowd. That's in stark contrast to games played in a mostly empty home arena with a yawning crowd. 

Next year, a few more young players will be added to the roster that will continue the rebuild. That's a good thing. The organization still needs to do more to regain its credibility to the many fans that have walked away. What this owner and organization need to understand is that systemic losing is corrosive for the players and the vanishing fans. The organization has to demonstrate some urgency this offseason.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm a Sabre fan. I'm getting numb and fatigued watching this team. It seems that most of our discussions are on the same loop with the same criticisms. After watching the Colorada game I got a spark of hope. Then I was brought back to reality after watching the Columbus game against a team that also played a back to back. It's so sad to see games played on the road in front of a full house with a raucous crowd. That's in stark contrast to games played in a mostly empty home arena with a yawning crowd. 

Next year, a few more young players will be added to the roster that will continue the rebuild. That's a good thing. The organization still needs to do more to regain its credibility to the many fans that have walked away. What this owner and organization need to understand is that systemic losing is corrosive for the players and the vanishing fans. The organization has to demonstrate some urgency this offseason.

giphy.webp

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd guess all 3 were out for at least 1 if not 2 empty net goals

Not a great night from them overall 

Tuch and thompson almost scored on a 2 on 1.  Then CBJ scored like 4 seconds later on a 2 on 1 after buffalo tried to change on the fly.  

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

I feel like there was only 1 EN goal 

I mean - technically.  The last goal the net was very empty, but Anderson was on the ice 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Believer said:

Then Granato needs to start coaching games to win… Use his practices for development… He needs to raise his expectations of the group… Be less understanding of losses like this one… 

Absolute truth! You coach to win or at the very least "be tough to play against" which was Don's mission statement. 2 of the past 3 games, that has been sorely lacking. People can bitch about Craig Anderson all they want, if anyone saw the first period, he's the reason they were still in it after 1 period. The defence is a serious issue regardless of whether Dahlin is in the lineup or not.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Exactly. Nailed it.

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

Tuch and thompson almost scored on a 2 on 1.  Then CBJ scored like 4 seconds later on a 2 on 1 after buffalo tried to change on the fly.  

I mean - technically.  The last goal the net was very empty, but Anderson was on the ice 😉

Oh yea, I forgot about that. What a ***** game it was from Buffalo. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Pot, meet kettle. 

That said, I disagree with having fatigue while watching them. Outside of the Ottawa stinker I have been highly entertained by this team the last month or so. They lose a lot but I am not really watching for wins at this stage but watching to see which players we should care about moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

Read Granato’s post game comment… 

““You can splice it up lots and lots of different ways, but we looked tired. We just looked tired," said head coach Don Granato following the loss. "It was tired plays and tired mistakes. We were physically tired and mentally tired, and we couldn’t finish simple stuff. The bottom line is we have to learn how to play through that, and we didn’t adjust to not feeling your game.”

Back-to-back game and travel might account for some of it… but their 1st period effort was incomprehensible… Unmotivated or unprepared or both… Granato adjusted his lines trying to get a spark in the 2nd and 3rd periods… but it was too late… He sent a team out to start the game that didn’t come to play and didn’t want or expect to win… Expectations or conditioning… Something is amiss in their process… They are learning the wrong lesson… accepting defeat under the cover of just another rebuild year…

Edited by Believer
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

My fat ass would have passed out in 5 mins .

And you went 25 mils? 😵😵😵

Eh.  You get used to it.  I hadn't ridden in about 20 years.  Then my office location moved about 14 years ago and was about 7 miles from my house.  I tried riding it and it wasn't that bad so I started riding to work.  While I was in that location I rode to work most of the time.  My office changed again and was about 16 miles and that was a little too long to do every day (32 miles round trip).  I tried it several times but couldn't do it consistently.  And yeah, I have a fat ass too but if I didn't ride it would be fatter.  😉

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Fully agree. I need to see a couple moves to start to push this team forward. A legit goalie, a good defensive RHD that can play top 4 and another scoring winger.

The kids will help replacing the expendables but they need to show they are serious about winning next season.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Believer said:

Read Granato’s post game comment… 

““You can splice it up lots and lots of different ways, but we looked tired. We just looked tired," said head coach Don Granato following the loss. "It was tired plays and tired mistakes. We were physically tired and mentally tired, and we couldn’t finish simple stuff. The bottom line is we have to learn how to play through that, and we didn’t adjust to not feeling your game.”

Back-to-back game and travel might account for some of it… but their 1st period effort was incomprehensible… Unmotivated or unprepared or both… Granato adjusted his lines trying to get a spark in the 2nd and 3rd periods… but it was too late… He sent a team out to start the game that didn’t come to play and didn’t want or expect to win… Expectations or conditioning… Something is amiss in their process… They are learning the wrong lesson… accepting defeat under the cover of just another rebuild year…

if you're tired from traveling all the way to Ohio and playing on consecutive days, you're in trouble

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.