The Right Side of the Defense: Trade Needed

LGR4GM

19 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I'm a big fan of Brock Faber, I'd offer them R. Johnson straight up.... and while your at it, throw in a pick and try to pry the rights to David Hrenak from them as well.

I don't think you could trade R Johnson straight up for Brock Faber and I would be skeptical of LA wanting to trade Faber at all. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 9:45 AM, LGR4GM said:

I don't think you could trade R Johnson straight up for Brock Faber and I would be skeptical of LA wanting to trade Faber at all. 

Vogl suggested in his recent mailbag article in the Athletic a Johnson to LA trade.  He remarked that they have an excess of RHD prospects and might be willing to trade one for a LHD.

He also thought that they’d go with a full kids D group next season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m really starting to think the Sabres plan is Dahlin - Power top pairing with Power on the right 

Samuelsson- Joker 2nd pair 

Bryson - Pysyk bottom 

Johnson in AHL   

draft top RHD Slovak defender on board

The PLAN can’t be Power to the right, too uncertain whether that can happen. Looking at the numbers, it’s very unlikely. 

It can certainly be an option they look into and account for 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’m really starting to think the Sabres plan is Dahlin - Power top pairing with Power on the right 

Bryson - Pysyk bottom 

Johnson in AHL   

On what basis (Power playing on the right)?  Did you see or hear something?  Otherwise, I am not sure it's the best scenario to have 2 offensive minded D playing 5-on-5 together (but I might be too old school) 😉

• Like (+1) 1

Dahlin and Power will be known for their offensive chops and ability to move the puck. They will not be known for their defensive chops like most young top dmen. They need to be on separate pairs anchored on the right side by dmen that are strong defensively. I don’t know if those players are on the roster. If they could find two McKenzie Weegars that would be great.😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Dahlin and Power will be known for their offensive chops and ability to move the puck. They will not be known for their defensive chops like most young top dmen. They need to be on separate pairs anchored on the right side by dmen that are strong defensively. I don’t know if those players are on the roster. If they could find two McKenzie Weegars that would be great.😁

If, IF, someone plays their off hand, Samuelsson would make for a good partner for either.  I feel like Samuelsson could end being nearly, if not equally, as valuable as those two.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

If, IF, someone plays their off hand, Samuelsson would make for a good partner for either.  I feel like Samuelsson could end being nearly, if not equally, as valuable as those two.

Samuelsson very well could find himself in McCabe's role of being the go-to defensive defenseman when big moments need quality D-zone play.  Expecting (hopefully not unreasonably) that he'll be more effective than Jake was in that role.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I honestly don't think Samuelsson will ever be as valuable as Dahlin or Power. I mean that in terms of on ice value, he just doesn't have enough skills for it to happen impo.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I honestly don't think Samuelsson will ever be as valuable as Dahlin or Power. I mean that in terms of on ice value, he just doesn't have enough skills for it to happen impo.

Well, he has different skills that I’m not sure Dahlin will ever develop.  Unless Dahlin develops into a little bit better of a defensive zone player, then I think Samuelsson could be nearly as valuable, but probably less heralded.  Power might have a better chance of being a standout player at both ends of the ice.

I mean that in terms of on ice value too.  I’m not sure what else we would be talking about.

35 minutes ago, Curt said:

Well, he has different skills that I’m not sure Dahlin will ever develop.  Unless Dahlin develops into a little bit better of a defensive zone player, then I think Samuelsson could be nearly as valuable, but probably less heralded.  Power might have a better chance of being a standout player at both ends of the ice.

I mean that in terms of on ice value too.  I’m not sure what else we would be talking about.

Trade value. Contract value. Replacement value. 

I think Dahlin can develop enough Samuelsson if given a little more time

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Trade value. Contract value. Replacement value. 

I think Dahlin can develop enough Samuelsson if given a little more time

Most likely.  I just like Samuelsson and think he can fill a very valuable role for Buffalo.  If Dahlin and/or Power develop close to their potential they should definitely surpass even a maxed out Samuelsson.

13 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Bryson - Pysyk bottom 

Johnson in AHL   

There is only 1 of those

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Go after him in what way?  He isn’t a UFA, and I doubt they would have interest in trading him as he is quite cheap at only $1.4M.

Well you have Chara and Greene both on the left side and ready to be retired, I'm guessing that trading one of our young LDs or/plus a draft pick gets the deal done. With the Islanders about to miss the playoffs the time may be ripe for them to start getting younger. They have Pulock and Dobson on the right side so he's not a key piece for them there. It also gives us a vet to help mentor Samuelsson and Power.

Edited by jsb

• 2 weeks later...

I know that he probably isn’t ever more than a 5, 6, 7, 8th defenseman, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Fitzgerald.  He seems to bring a lot of passion and seems like the kind of player who doesn’t mind doing the dirty work.  I hope he sticks around for a while.

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Curt said:

I know that he probably isn’t ever more than a 5, 6, 7, 8th defenseman, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Fitzgerald.  He seems to bring a lot of passion and seems like the kind of player who doesn’t mind doing the dirty work.  I hope he sticks around for a while.

100%

He’s not significantly better than the rest of the depth back there, but he sure is easier to root for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.