2022 NHL Draft Lottery

gilbert11

Just now, gilbert11 said:

So, for this new Draft Lottery rule about consecutive lottery wins, is it going forward starting with this year or will they consider the Sabres winning the last lottery?

This is Year One for that, so the Sabres could win the 2022 and 2023 lotteries in theory 

Teams that finish 32nd in the standings that get the first overall pick are not considered lottery winners as they did not move up in the draft order 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

2023 as well? 

Oh man, I hope the master plan isn't tanking for Bedard. I mean he is going to be a hell of a player but no more , just no more. 

A bunch of teams are gonna legit tank in 2023, you just need to end up 1, 2, or 3 and you're getting something awesome. Michkov though won't be here for either few years so he might slide a few spots.

That said, I don't think Buffalo has any intention of tanking next season. We will probably miss the playoffs but we won't keep talent out to do it

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

2023 as well? 

Oh man, I hope the master plan isn't tanking for Bedard. I mean he is going to be a hell of a player but no more , just no more. 

I don’t see how this is there plan at all.  They are developing their prospects exceptionally well this season

Now, if they don’t make an effort to sign Power and Quinn/Krebs/Peterka are ripping apart the AHL next year…. Then I would change my mind and say “tanking” is the plan. 

Good chance they will be in the lottery but won’t have great odds to win.  

• Like (+1) 2

The Sabres are in the early-to-middle stages of a rebuild, which is looking like it is on track.  The side-effect of such a rebuild is losing a lot of games.  While the young guys develop and the culture slowly changes for the better, they are playing hard and trying to win as many games as they can.  They are not tanking - meaning they are not intentionally losing games to try and achieve a higher draft pick.  If they were tanking, they would have sent UPL back to Rochester after he started playing well and gone with Dell and Subban.  Now, injuries have made a mess of the goaltending situation again, but none of that was intentional.

The Sabres are headed for the lottery this season and I believe the organization will do whatever it can to NOT be in the lottery next season (although they still might end up there).  In two seasons from now, the lottery will be in the rear-view mirror. 

Edited by msw2112

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don’t see how this is there plan at all.  They are developing their prospects exceptionally well this season

Now, if they don’t make an effort to sign Power and Quinn/Krebs/Peterka are ripping apart the AHL next year…. Then I would change my mind and say “tanking” is the plan. 

Good chance they will be in the lottery but won’t have great odds to win.  

For me, what Adams does at goalie this offseason is the biggest tip off 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

22 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The Sabres are in the early-to-middle stages of a rebuild, which is looking like it is on track.  The side-effect of such a rebuild is losing a lot of games.  While the young guys develop and the culture slowly changes for the better, they are playing hard and trying to win as many games as they can.  They are not tanking - meaning they are not intentionally losing games to try and achieve a higher draft pick.  If they were tanking, they would have sent UPL back to Rochester after he started playing well and gone with Dell and Subban.  Now, injuries have made a mess of the goaltending situation again, but none of that was intentional.

The Sabres are headed for the lottery this season and I believe the organization will do whatever it can to NOT be in the lottery next season (although they still might end up there).  In two seasons from now, the lottery will be in the rear-view mirror. 

The team will do "whatever it can" to get out of the lottery short of trading any prospects or picks that they see fitting into the future.  So, they will leave a lot improvement options on the table.  (Not commenting on the merits of that, just pointing out that the playoffs come he'll or high water is NOT next season's plan.)  Agree that there's a real possibility they're in the playoffs in 2 seasons.

And as @Thorny says, what happens next year & how much management really wants to see the kids winning "now" rather than after next year's draft reinforcements are selected will be tipped by how goaltending is addressed.

Just now, Taro T said:

The team will do "whatever it can" to get out of the lottery short of trading any prospects or picks that they see fitting into the future.  So, they will leave a lot improvement options on the table.  (Not commenting on the merits of that, just pointing out that the playoffs come he'll or high water is NOT next season's plan.)  Agree that there's a real possibility they're in the playoffs in 2 seasons.

And as @Thorny says, what happens next year & how much management really wants to see the kids winning "now" rather than after next year's draft reinforcements are selected will be tipped by how goaltending is addressed.

I'll bet money they use UPL as the starter next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'll bet money they use UPL as the starter next year. 

I think so too.

They thought he might be ready for that this year, and what they’ve seen in 8 games has probably reinforced that.

Im looking to see what they do as a running mate.

UFAs include: Fleury, Koskinen, Kuemper, Griess, Korpisalo, Jones, Holtby, Francouz, Halak, Campbell, Rittich, Rask, Elliot, Forsberg. Might be tough to find a combination of “short-term deal” “wants to come to Buffalo” and “good” in there.

Another possibility is a low-cost trade for a vet with one year left: Andersen, Varlamov, Khudobin, Allen, Raantta…

Whoever we get should be at least Marty Biron level good

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

For me, what Adams does at goalie this offseason is the biggest tip off 

Absolutely. Case in point: Subban 850, UPL 778, Anderson 750, Dell 750, Tokarski 725, Houser 750. This season the Sabres are spending $4.6M on 6 goalies. The goalies of note are unsigned prospects.

GM Sheevyn should be spending at least $4M on the single goalie that comes in to replace Anderson (and not block UPL). But, does that contradict the Effective, Efficient, and Economical to maintain the owners' standard of living?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Won't take that bet.  Which doesn't mean that won't be very disappointing if that happens.  They'll have cap space & ownership'll have the cash to have a real goalie in town.

That assumes a good goalie free agent prospect can be lured to Buffalo simply by the money. A good goalie free agent prospect stands to receive offers from several teams and the money may not be the determining factor in his decision to sign or not. 

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That assumes a good goalie free agent prospect can be lured to Buffalo simply by the money. A good goalie free agent prospect stands to receive offers from several teams and the money may not be the determining factor in his decision to sign or not. 

So we're already excusing Adams for not addressing goaltending for a THIRD time in three years?

Going into next season w/ nothing more than UPL & Tokarski would be a huge mistake IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So we're already excusing Adams for not addressing goaltending for a THIRD time in three years?

Going into next season w/ nothing more than UPL & Tokarski would be a huge mistake IMHO.

It will be curious to hear what excuse explanation is provided by management if the starting night tandem is UPL + an AHL goalie as the backup. Blocking? E,E,&E? Bedard/Michkov?

43 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It will be curious to hear what excuse explanation is provided by management if the starting night tandem is UPL + an AHL goalie as the backup. Blocking? E,E,&E? Bedard/Michkov?

The excuse explanation will be that UPL earned it this year as his growth demonstrated.  And Tokarski earned it as well.  Will be REALLY unhappy if that's the case.  But that would give them 1 more kick at the lottery magic and would put everybody 1 year closer to being in their primes when they FINALLY get around to having winning as a goal & not merely an aspiration.  It also might finally break the fanbase.  (Not positive anything will truly break it, but that could be the final straw.  (This year's attendance not withstanding,))

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

The answer you are looking for here is: yes 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

I don’t think I’m excusing Adams for anything. Merely pointing out that throwing money at a prospective free agent goalie is no guarantee that he will sign here. That’s just the reality of the situation. If Adams does pursue a goalie and that goalie spurns that pursuit, I’m not sure how that’s on Adams. 

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t think I’m excusing Adams for anything. Merely pointing out that throwing money at a prospective free agent goalie is no guarantee that he will sign here. That’s just the reality of the situation. If Adams does pursue a goalie and that goalie spurns that pursuit, I’m not sure how that’s on Adams. 

And FA isn't the only way to get a goalie.  But they have the cap & the cash to overcome a bit of reluctance if the FA they target isn't completely sure at 1st.  The ability to work w/ Bales should also be a selling point.  Adams absolutely has to have better next year regardless of the route.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And FA isn't the only way to get a goalie.  But they have the cap & the cash to overcome a bit of reluctance if the FA they target isn't completely sure at 1st.  The ability to work w/ Bales should also be a selling point.  Adams absolutely has to have better next year regardless of the route.

I think as long as Buffalo is perceived as a place where winning now isn’t likely good veterans won’t sign here

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think as long as Buffalo is perceived as a place where winning now isn’t likely good veterans won’t sign here

Especially if Buffalo wants to give that veteran a 1 year contract.  Who would want to come here in a *prove it contract year* term only to lose to try and earn another contract?

I expect no outside help except another Anderson type. We live or die within our system.

Edited by woods-racer

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Other than FA, our options are trade or draft. When I look at the roster, who do we have as a trade chip bring in a top notch goalie? I won’t even consider the draft option. 

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Other than FA, our options are trade or draft. When I look at the roster, who do we have as a trade chip bring in a top notch goalie? I won’t even consider the draft option. 

They have a bunch of 2nd round picks in next year's draft.  They have prospects that they might not see as fitting LT, one of which might get paired up w/ one of those picks.  There's plenty of ways for a savvy go getter w/ a great analytics team to figure out how to bring in an ACTUAL NHL quality netminder that still has something left in the tank.

But no way should Adams be given an excuse already w/ ~50 games to go this season to not fix the goaltending this offf-season.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.