Jack Eichel and 2023 3rd Traded to Vegas for F Alex Tuch, C Peyton Krebs, 2022 1st Top Ten Protected and 2023 2nd

Brawndo

On 11/5/2021 at 6:17 PM, K-9 said:

I can respect that, MODO. Although I think you could drop the greatest coach in the history of the game behind bench of this current group, and he would struggle mightily. Sooner or later, talent MUST trump heart, hustle, and strategy. 

Regardless, it’s nice to be able to respond to a MODO post and I hope you’re doing well. 

No i wont, because i know its true.  This org has hired more coaches in the last decade than you changed underwear. This org is pathetic to say the least, we just see things different.

Cheers bud.

4 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

No i wont, because i know its true.  This org has hired more coaches in the last decade than you changed underwear. This org is pathetic to say the least, we just see things different.

Cheers bud.

Oh idk, 

You ain't seen nothing yet. Trust the process

Just now, MODO Hockey said:

I've seen enough indeed. This org is trash deluxe. 

I see a change in the wind. For the first time in 14 years, I see a shift. 

When they're good again, you'll have come for a playoff game modo

When they're good again, you'll have come for a playoff game modo

Just listened to the latest After the Whistle podcast with Peters, Rivet and Friedman talking about the Jack Eichel deal. Worth the listen but this quote from Craig Rivet stood out like a sore thumb:

"He was a hart candidate on the ice and the exact opposite off the ice. The way he treated people around the rink, in the dressing room, and around the city wasn't a positive thing."

That's pretty damning from Craig Rivet. I think we have known all along but Rivet is dialed right in. Peters followed up and said that Eichel said that if he had the surgery he would come back and play for the Sabres to drive up his price but they didn’t want him anywhere near the dressing room.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

"He was a hart candidate on the ice and the exact opposite off the ice. The way he treated people around the rink, in the dressing room, and around the city wasn't a positive thing."

If I was an admin this is where I would close and lock the discussion. It's time to turn the page and that comment is the punctuation point. Nothing more to say. 

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If I was an admin this is where I would close and lock the discussion. It's time to turn the page and that comment is the punctuation point. Nothing more to say. 

Yeah not sure what to believe anymore. I’d rather keep the picture I have in my head of Jack on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Contrast that to the deadline imposed on the ROR trade and the way JBot crumbled to the Pegulas' pressure, and got a questionable return that turned sour very quickly (Berglund/Sobotka).  I really think the important thing about Adams as GM is that the Pegulas trust his judgment, listen to his reasoning, and he can get them on board with the way he handles various situations.  I personally think Adams comes off poorly in interviews.  I wonder if he's ever had training to help him with public appearances and how to handle questions.  But I think behind the scenes, dealing with the owners and with other GMs around the league he's doing an admirable job.  He's all smarts and no polish, which is a contrast to XGMTM and JBot who looked more polished but couldn't really formulate and implement their plan (and granted, the jury is still out on Adams' ability to do so, but the plan seems more methodical and more consistently executed, at least to me).

It's appropriate to blame Botterill for a lot of bad decisions.  Yet, it's convenient now to blame JB now for not standing up to the Pegula's when he's long gone.  

I think Botterill came into town thinking he'd have discretion to largely do what he needed to...and then those 2 owners started getting antsy.  The Skinner contract was pushed by the Pegula's, as was Jack's deal.  Trading ROR before that bonus after admitting he'd lost his love for the game.  If I'm the GM and owners are making the big moves for me, that's hard to operate within those limits.  And we know neither of those 2 owners know the first thing about hockey.

Adams has to work out for the Pegula's, because if not, you're looking at a franchise who'll struggle to find another candidate.  Marie Antoinette (Kim) needed better communication, but what they really want is control.  And there aren't a lot of external types who will sign up for owners having that big of a say.  It's why Sean McDermott got so much authority...he arrived and told those 2 that if they wanted him, he'd be the one in control and not them.      

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Just listened to the latest After the Whistle podcast with Peters, Rivet and Friedman talking about the Jack Eichel deal. Worth the listen but this quote from Craig Rivet stood out like a sore thumb:

That's pretty damning from Craig Rivet. I think we have known all along but Rivet is dialed right in. Peters followed up and said that Eichel said that if he had the surgery he would come back and play for the Sabres to drive up his price but they didn’t want him anywhere near the dressing room.

Who does Rivet get paid by again?  

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

It's appropriate to blame Botterill for a lot of bad decisions.  Yet, it's convenient now to blame JB now for not standing up to the Pegula's when he's long gone.  

I think Botterill came into town thinking he'd have discretion to largely do what he needed to...and then those 2 owners started getting antsy.  The Skinner contract was pushed by the Pegula's, as was Jack's deal.  Trading ROR before that bonus after admitting he'd lost his love for the game.  If I'm the GM and owners are making the big moves for me, that's hard to operate within those limits.  And we know neither of those 2 owners know the first thing about hockey.

Adams has to work out for the Pegula's, because if not, you're looking at a franchise who'll struggle to find another candidate.  Marie Antoinette (Kim) needed better communication, but what they really want is control.  And there aren't a lot of external types who will sign up for owners having that big of a say.  It's why Sean McDermott got so much authority...he arrived and told those 2 that if they wanted him, he'd be the one in control and not them.      

Not by the Pegulas, if that is what you are suggesting.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Gionta said the same thing on a podcast in the summer, but he didn’t name names. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Cozens needs to be sent down they just love to rush the  Prospects when they accomplish nothing.

Yea! Look at all the guys they are currently rushing like Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Portillo, UPL... 

Cozens is struggling and I think that is partially because of his wingers but I would not be opposed once Mitts is back to sending him down to Rochester for a couple months. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea! Look at all the guys they are currently rushing like Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Portillo, UPL... 

Cozens is struggling and I think that is partially because of his wingers but I would not be opposed once Mitts is back to sending him down to Rochester for a couple months. 

How about the players before them?  Buffalo just gave a roster spot to Cozens just like they did with casey without him earning it .

He needs some AHL 

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

Gionta said the same thing on a podcast in the summer, but he didn’t name names. 

The big red flags for me with Jack were when Gionta and Gorges were brought into mentor the kids and Jack brushed them off and when Jack was on North America, the kid team for the World Cup here in Toronto with McDavid, McKinnon, Matthews and everyone else and all the reporters here said everyone was shocked by how bad Jack’s attitude was.

Fantastic on ice talent but it was never going to work here with him as the face of the franchise and having to lead.

I hope the surgery goes well and he should be great in Vegas where he just has to play. But it was time to move on and I like Adams vision. I think Tuch and Krebs will be a big part of the culture shift and improved results here in the future.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You have to figure that realistically we've seen 1 offseason of Adams. I'm curious to see more as he has managed to build assets unlike any gm of the past decade. 

No doubt the timeframe for judging Adams is too short to come to a conclusive assessment on his body of work. But in that short stint he has hired a coach, handled a draft, assembled a staff and acquired assets for players that needed to be moved. Even at this very early stage of his tenure on those tasks I would say that he has done a good job. The current GM is candid that he is rebuilding this roster. And that is what he should be judged on. There are some very good prospects in Rochester and in the college ranks who should add an infusion of talent to this roster in the not too distant future. In addition, he has a large number of draft assets that should restock the system. 

I'm not going to get carried away and deem him a success. That still has to be determined. He has a good rebuilding plan and is executing it. As you have often said everything is predicated on the level of talent on the roster. It is going to take time and patience to having that level of talent to be a serious team.  The issue then becomes will the owners give him the time to accomplish it? I hope so.   

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The tear down is the easy part of a rebuild.

Is it though? The jettison of Eichel was sort of forced, but he fought to get a decent return. He could’ve completely f’d that situation up. And letting Risto and Rhino go? Took some courage to trade away these decent players and he got fair return. Not only tearing apart, he has also reshaped the front office with Karmanos and the analytic hires. Plus, the drafting so far looks good. These moves tell me that he’s willing to listen and take advice. That’s a huge character value in a GM and am cannot be undervalued. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, SabresVet said:

Sabres don’t pay Rivet. It is an independent podcast.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I will have nothing bad to say about jack he got the ***** end of stick like mark stone hopefully they both win a cup 

***** Jack

***** Lehner

and now ***** Stone.  Even though heretofore I had nothing against him and appreciated his game.  
They deserve nothing more than our ambivalence.  But I’m not quite there yet, so I’ll choose to have a bit of Schadenfreude towards them.  And hoping they win the cup is such a bad take. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.