DG's line combos and defense pairs

PASabreFan

5 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it fair to say, so far, he's not much of a line- and pair-juggler?

Definitely not as active as Lindy Ruff was.  It seemed like Lindy would switch the lines immediately after the opening face off.

I have always liked to see if a forward line or D pair can develop some good chemistry and that generally takes some consistent playing time in games for that to happen.   

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

It sure seems like the lines and pairs have been pretty stable other than injury adjustments.  Of course, they’re off to a great start, so there hasn’t been much pressure to juggle them.  

This.

The only substantive in-game adjustment I can remember that wasn't injury/equipment/special teams related is Caggiula bumping Bjork off the Angry Larry line, and that line has otherwsie only moved because of injury. Cozens has been with his guys since Mitts went down. The Thompson line hasn't juggled a shift that I can recall and the D pairs have been locked since Joker got hurt.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is it fair to say, so far, he's not much of a line- and pair-juggler?

Ya, that's definitely fair and true, and I've argued for years we needed more set D pairs but keep in mind most coaches don't juggle when you're winning. The juggling and changes come with losing and/or injuries. If that happens we will see if he makes adjustments/changes. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It sure seems like the lines and pairs have been pretty stable other than injury adjustments.  Of course, they’re off to a great start, so there hasn’t been much pressure to juggle them.  

Should the shifting of the game flow we've seen in the past 3 games continue, we'll likely see some adjustments (beyond Eakin coming back sometime on the road trip & Mittelstadt hopefully being back soon after that).  If they get back to the play of the 1st 4 games, expect things will stay as they are.  You don't fix what isn't broken.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This.  And also he wants the players to get used to his system.  Shuffling line combinations would probably not foster that.  But he did switch Ruotsalainen and Cozens for a while the other night.

In other news

• Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

This.

The only substantive in-game adjustment I can remember that wasn't injury/equipment/special teams related is Caggiula bumping Bjork off the Angry Larry line, and that line has otherwsie only moved because of injury. Cozens has been with his guys since Mitts went down. The Thompson line hasn't juggled a shift that I can recall and the D pairs have been locked since Joker got hurt.

Just a post by Vogl about tomorrow's lines.  Bjork is going with Cozens, and Skinner with the old guys--Girgs and KO. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

Just a post by Vogl about tomorrow's lines.  Bjork is going with Cozens, and Skinner with the old guys--Girgs and KO. 

This is odd to me because imo Bjork has been crap and although he hasn't lit it up or anything I've seen some decent chemistry between Cozens and Skinner resulting in scoring chances. Not sure what the thinking on this change would be. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

This is odd to me because imo Bjork has been crap and although he hasn't lit it up or anything I've seen some decent chemistry between Cozens and Skinner resulting in scoring chances. Not sure what the thinking on this change would be. 

Skinner tends to be a liability defensively and Cozens, at this time, is not capable of covering for others deficiencies in the d-zone. Bjork I believe he’s been sound metrically/possession wise. He should benefit Cozens straight ahead game 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

He quoted Granato: "Just a different look. Different energy. I thought it was time."  I'm actually interested to see how Skinner does with the move.

Tried to cut and paste it, but couldn't from the Athletic site.

Skinner belongs on a third line, with two way grinders. The line run though him. Except in exceptional circumstances or with the odd centre iceman. 

Say what you want about Jack Eichel, but he certainty had an inherent quality to his game that maximized what Jeff can bring. 

The mistake was offering a difficult t unlock max ability with such a big contract. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Skinner belongs on a third line, with two way grinders. The line run though him. Except in exceptional circumstances or with the odd centre iceman. 

Say what you want about Jack Eichel, but he certainty had an inherent quality to his game that maximized what Jeff can bring. 

The mistake was offering a difficult t unlock max ability with such a big contract. 

Jack brought out the best in skinner, but in time Skinner is more happy playing without jack ?

Just a feeling I had since last year, to be honest I just want skinner to get 20 goals for the next 7 seasons and I'm good.  Some might not see it but he loves the game but ***** he has some bad luck.   I rarely see a guy hit the goal post 2-3 times in a game, but with him it just happens.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner tends to be a liability defensively and Cozens, at this time, is not capable of covering for others deficiencies in the d-zone. Bjork I believe he’s been sound metrically/possession wise. He should benefit Cozens straight ahead game 

I hear you, and I agree about Skinner, but Cozens is really good at digging the puck out of traffic or on the wall and getting it towards Skinner creating opportunities. Yes, that combo has some defensive issues, but aren't we more of an attack run and gun thing? Isn't that the plan? 

Bjork is better defensively cause he had that drilled into him as a Bruin, but if we start doing this aren't we bringing back Kreuger hockey? I do not think Bjork has done anything worth rewarding. At this moment I'd play Hayden ahead of him.

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

He must've seen my TRpm post.

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk this feels like step one in dropping him down the line up just like before. Don't see a good outcome. 

As far as I can see it is moving him up the lineup.

I laugh when I hear people referring to  the Girgensons line as the 4th line. It's pretty clearly the 2nd line.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I laugh when I here people referring to  the Girgensons line as the 4th line. It's pretty clearly the 2nd line.

Yeah, it does seem like the Sabres are trying to develop a "they're the best 4th line in hockey, just like the Clutterbuck line on the Aisle" vibe.  Of course, that pretty much makes the R2 Rou2 line one of the worst 3rd lines in hockey & the Cozens line one of the worst 1st lines in hockey.  But it does help sell the "hardest working team in hockey" motif.  So, there is that.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

I laugh when I hear people referring to  the Girgensons line as the 4th line. It's pretty clearly the 2nd line.

I'm not sure a number designation works for any of the lines. maybe Thompson's line is currently the top offensive unit but the Girgs line has been used as a counter/checking line more often than not so far. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.