The veteran presence

Doohickie

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I didn’t say he was a good leader necessarily though by all accounts that I’ve heard he is a good guy. Doesn’t mean good leader but I’ve never heard he was a bad influence.

I have.

Heard, I mean. Not saying I believe it, and I know nothing.

Adam Henrique from a Zegras-Eichel trade would be nice.

Has to be someone respected, but we still play. They failed miserably on the second one in the Eichel era.

Also, let's not get any Bogosian's this time (massive contract, always hurt, big influence on Eichel/Reinhart)

On 7/25/2021 at 3:01 PM, pi2000 said:

IMO the "veteran leadership" mantra is an outdated concept in todays NHL.

Did Brian Gionta or Josh Gorges help?   

IMO if you have the right coach and players with the right character, you don't need a veteran presence.

I am for the right veteran leadership.  Problem is finding it.  Just finding an older player isn’t enough. 

Did Talinder help Myers? Yes. 
Did Gionta help Eichel?  Well, when the student is ready the teacher emerges.  Gionta was not the problem.  

Right now, assuming Eichel is traded, Okposso will wear the C. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am for the right veteran leadership.  Problem is finding it.  Just finding an older player isn’t enough. 

Did Talinder help Myers? Yes. 
Did Gionta help Eichel?  Well, when the student is ready the teacher emerges.  Gionta was not the problem.  

Honestly I’d rather we just do away with the C until one naturally emerges. Giving it out just out of the sake of tradition does more harm than good IMO. Let the locker room change, the new young team find its identity, and see what grows out of it from there. 

4 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Honestly I’d rather we just do away with the C until one naturally emerges. Giving it out just out of the sake of tradition does more harm than good IMO. Let the locker room change, the new young team find its identity, and see what grows out of it from there. 

Yes, that’s not a bad idea. It will be up to Granato to decide.  

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My guess is Okie as well.  The nice thing is that at the end of his current contract a young leader will emerge.

10 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I feel just the opposite.  I absolutely hated when Briere and Drury shared it, I hate it when there are 3 As.  Name The Captain and be done with it.

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I also hated the period when they shared the C around among several players.

Well yeah that’s just, ridiculous. Definitely agree with you there. They don’t have to give out As either though IMO, they can wait on that too. It’s not like it’s a necessary chain of command designation. 

Sometimes sunlight is the best disinfectant, at least that’s how I look at it. Have no idea if this would make it worse or not though. I do think that giving someone a letter, and then they don’t confront things in the locker room does more harm than good. Hopefully with DG that won’t be too much an issue anyhow though. 

Edited by I-90 W

I wonder if Nick Foligno isn't on the short list of vet UFAs who could be had for a reasonable price/term. He's not totally washed yet so he can contribute a bit, but he's also not going to box someone like Cozens out of getting the minutes he needs to grow. He's got playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I wonder if Nick Foligno isn't on the short list of vet UFAs who could be had for a reasonable price/term. He's not totally washed yet so he can contribute a bit, but he's also not going to box someone like Cozens out of getting the minutes he needs to grow. He's got playoff experience.

I'd be on board with this. Is #17 available?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.