Who Will Seattle Draft From the Sabres?

GASabresIUFAN

Who Will Seattle Draft From The Sabres?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Seattle Draft From The Sabres?

• Borgen
    • Miller
    • Miller w incentives
    • Skinner
    • Skinner w incentives
    • Okposo
    • Okposo w incentives
    • Girgensons
    • Eakin
    • Tokarski
    • Other

So who will they take?

I initially thought they'd take Miller without incentives, but now I think we'll have to give them something if we want them to take Miller.  Borgen was the obvious choice until I realized the he must make their team or be lost to waivers and with the number of quality D men available, he'll have a hard time making the squad.  Finally, I'm going with a dark horse; Girgensons.  Just a gut feeling.  Every team now wnats fast physical players on their 4th line and he fits that description.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is an UFA and they can just sign him. I believe they have an exclusive window to talk to UFAs.  

They can but if they do in the window it counts as our expansion selection. That's why Buffalo protected Ullmark. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, steveoath said:

I think they may value Reider for Pk purposes. 

Can't see them wanting him so badly that they feel the need to sign him in the exclusive rights window.  His services will be fairly cheap and they can easily beat out another offer by $100k when the regular FA window opens in another week or 2.

If they really don't want/don't care whether they land a Sabre, they take Borgen and see if he can crack their top 8.  If he does, good for him and them.  If he doesn't, IMHO the net result is identical to your expectation when the Sabres claim him off waivers in October.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can't see them wanting him so badly that they feel the need to sign him in the exclusive rights window.  His services will be fairly cheap and they can easily beat out another offer by $100k when the regular FA window opens in another week or 2.

If they really don't want/don't care whether they land a Sabre, they take Borgen and see if he can crack their top 8.  If he does, good for him and them.  If he doesn't, IMHO the net result is identical to your expectation when the Sabres claim him off waivers in October.

It's kind of sad to think that a guy most people here think Borgen is a shoe in for our top 6, but isn't good enough to crack the top 8 for an expansion team.

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It's kind of sad to think that a guy most people here think Borgen is a shoe in for our top 6, but isn't good enough to crack the top 8 for an expansion team.

It is and it isn't.  Borgen is a 3rd pairing guy at present and the majority of D that are exposed are 2nd pairing guys.  8 top 4 D will make a top 6 D that might become top 4 slide back to wherever Seattle's farm team is setting up shop.

But being 3rd pairing will put a guy on MOST teams in the lineup every night.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So who will they take?

I initially thought they'd take Miller without incentives, but now I think we'll have to give them something if we want them to take Miller.  Borgen was the obvious choice until I realized the he must make their team or be lost to waivers and with the number of quality D men available, he'll have a hard time making the squad.  Finally, I'm going with a dark horse; Girgensons.  Just a gut feeling.  Every team now wnats fast physical players on their 4th line and he fits that description.

If they take Borgen he has to make the NHL team. If they try to send him to the AHL the Sabres have first waivers dibs and can take Borgen right back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If they take Borgen he has to make the NHL team. If they try to send him to the AHL the Sabres have first waivers dibs and can take Borgen right back.

Borgen also being 24, with 14 games and 0 points... doesn't exactly scream major loss to a team.  I liked what i saw from him, but to say that losing him would be this major organizational setback is absurd.  Teams are going to lose players who are in some cases are close to all-stars, and we're worried about a guy who probably doesn't suit up for 20 teams in the league.  

We will lose a player, none of the available ones are that good, and a couple are overpaid.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea who they will take, but Borgen is the guy who I would least like the Sabres to lose.  He's a young player who has shown potential and will likely develop into an solid NHL regular, 2nd or 3rd pairing D-man.  He's also very affordable right now. 

Seattle may have other ideas.  They may prefer to go with a veteran who can contribute more right away and try to win right out of the gate, as Vegas did.  If they go that route, it could be Miller, Okposo or Girgs.  Okposo's huge contract might take him out of the mix, so Miller or Girgs.

I voted Miller with incentives, as Miller hasn't lived up to expectations with the Sabres, but is a proven veteran that has played well in the league.  He has a decent-sized contract and is likely to get pushed aside for some of the younger guys, so I see the Sabres wanting to move on from him.  After the 1st and maybe 2nd round, NHL draft picks rarely hit and are not worth that much, so to send a 3rd to Seattle to make them take Miller seems to make sense for both teams.

The thing that works in our favor with Borgen is that he was injured for most of last season.  There's not a huge amount of NHL experience for him.

Miller is the safer pick and should be a player that they can move at the trade deadline next year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Miller makes the most sense but Francis and Jbot have Skinner connections and maybe just maybe Adams can get a fellow friend do him a solid to take Skinner with some incentives.

I'm not giving them anything to take anyone.  Just pick a guy, most are flawed in some capacity so do your worst.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/19/2021 at 11:14 AM, The Jokeman said:

Miller makes the most sense but Francis and Jbot have Skinner connections and maybe just maybe Adams can get a fellow friend do him a solid to take Skinner with some incentives.

"connections"? You mean like what JBot must think of him after being forced to sign a huge contract and then him crapping out? Or how Francis traded him away for a pile of Pu after he'd been moved up and down the line up and fallen in disfavor with his coach.........wait a minute........ and we were surprised? Yup, they're "connected" alright. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.