Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

6 minutes ago, Digger said:

Montreal has done okay on this overall losing Kotkaniemi (getting a 1st and 3rd) and acquiring Dvorak (for a 1st and 2nd). 

If KK breaks out this season maybe there's some regrets but replacing KK with Dvorak seems okay and they made the best of the situation.

Perhaps their only regret was that they might have tried harder to keep Danault if they knew this was going to happen.

They traded a 1st and 2nd for a 40pt 25 yr old center after letting a 21 yr old 35pt center go for a 1st and 3rd.

2 hours ago, Digger said:

so you would have matched and kept KK?

I think the best course of action would’ve been to sign KK to a bridge deal before it got to this point but signing Aho to an incredibly easy to match contract was their first mistake in this entire ordeal.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Digger said:

so you would have matched and kept KK?

I don’t think anyone can answer this without some insider info. Was KK willing to sign in Montreal? What kind of money? What kind of term? For 6 million long term? 

KK was always more of a raw “project” type player that hadn’t really shown any flashes equivalent to his draft status in Montreal. Carolina has done a great job developing their own players recently, so while it looks questionable on paper for Carolina, I think it’s a win for them if they have an agreement in place for a more reasonable contract extension moving forward.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 1

At the end of this season, the Coyotes will have just 6 players under contract and a total cap hit of less than $30 million.

They also have 3 1st rounders and 5 2nds in the coming draft.

Right now, their roster might be worse than the Sabres and Carter Hutton is their starting goalie.

Edited by dudacek
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

At the end of this season, the Coyotes will have just 6 players under contract and a total cap hit of less than $30 million.

Right now, their roster might be worse than the Sabres and Carter Hutton is their starting goalie.

'All in' ..

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

'All in' ..

The Sabres tank this year is just to prepare for their even greater tank for Bedard the following year, so they've timed it to where losing out to Arizona the first year won't be as big of a deal. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eanyills said:

I don’t think anyone can answer this without some insider info. Was KK willing to sign in Montreal? What kind of money? What kind of term? For 6 million long term? 

KK was always more of a raw “project” type player that hadn’t really shown any flashes equivalent to his draft status in Montreal. Carolina has done a great job developing their own players recently, so while it looks questionable on paper for Carolina, I think it’s a win for them if they have an agreement in place for a more reasonable contract extension moving forward.

The answer to your first question is yes, second is $6.1M, third is 1 year. He signed an offer sheet knowing full well that may be the deal he would be playing with the Canadiens on.

11 hours ago, dudacek said:

They know if the desert is ever going to survive it needs a megastar. If they can get the ball rolling with a star in an upcoming draft and position themselves to land Auston Matthews at the end of his contract they could build something worth talking about. Of course, the situation is a bit dire with their lease expiring in a year.

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

I was thinking it's crazy for Arizona to trade a player expected to be in their top 6 under a reasonable cap hit for 4 more years in September when there's no time to replace him with similar talent.

Then I remembered that the Sabres are trying to do something similar with Eichel.................so never mind.

They will also be able to move Kessel at the deadline for another pick too.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

The answer to your first question is yes, second is $6.1M, third is 1 year. He signed an offer sheet knowing full well that may be the deal he would be playing with the Canadiens on.

Things are never as easy as a simple black and white, though. Reports are that KK wanted out. That makes Montreal matching and bringing back an already disgruntled player a little more challenging. Secondly, the 6.1 and 1 year is the offer sheet. The underlying point is what was KK looking for from Montreal? The future ramifications of his demands would weigh heavily on Montreal’s decision. KK isn’t going to get 6.1 on his next contract. What was his actual contract demands with Montreal? If it was 6.1/1, obviously that’s a sign of a player that doesn’t want to be there and you don’t match. 

That’s the info we don’t have.

19 minutes ago, eanyills said:

Things are never as easy as a simple black and white, though. Reports are that KK wanted out. That makes Montreal matching and bringing back an already disgruntled player a little more challenging. Secondly, the 6.1 and 1 year is the offer sheet. The underlying point is what was KK looking for from Montreal? The future ramifications of his demands would weigh heavily on Montreal’s decision. KK isn’t going to get 6.1 on his next contract. What was his actual contract demands with Montreal? If it was 6.1/1, obviously that’s a sign of a player that doesn’t want to be there and you don’t match. 

That’s the info we don’t have.

KK’s next qualifying offer starts over $6.1M. If he has a good enough season to be qualified then he has a massive negotiating chip sitting in his lap. I’m not a big believer in him so I think there’s a decent chance Carolina just made a huge mistake. Time will tell.

32 minutes ago, Hoss said:

KK’s next qualifying offer starts over $6.1M. If he has a good enough season to be qualified then he has a massive negotiating chip sitting in his lap. I’m not a big believer in him so I think there’s a decent chance Carolina just made a huge mistake. Time will tell.

He still has some upside I believe but I'm not a huge fan of him as a player.  There's been speculation that Carolina has discussed some long term options with him and that he will sign an extension next season for much less than the $6.1M that it took to get him away from Montreal.  I read that they expect him to start the season at LW.  His performance and stats this season will be interesting to watch and it will be interesting to see if he signs an extension closer to $2.0 or $2.5M next season.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Digger said:

He still has some upside I believe but I'm not a huge fan of him as a player.  There's been speculation that Carolina has discussed some long term options with him and that he will sign an extension next season for much less than the $6.1M that it took to get him away from Montreal.  I read that they expect him to start the season at LW.  His performance and stats this season will be interesting to watch and it will be interesting to see if he signs an extension closer to $2.0 or $2.5M next season.

There’s no way he agrees to anything without playing first. There’s no way he wins such a deal. Any rumor suggesting otherwise I’d laugh at. Signing now for a deal far cheaper than his qualifying offer is just throwing away money and if he plays very well this season he’s got the bargaining chip to demand a much bigger yearly salary long-term than $2-2.5M.

29 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There’s no way he agrees to anything without playing first. There’s no way he wins such a deal. Any rumor suggesting otherwise I’d laugh at. Signing now for a deal far cheaper than his qualifying offer is just throwing away money and if he plays very well this season he’s got the bargaining chip to demand a much bigger yearly salary long-term than $2-2.5M.

I believe he'll sign long term for 4-4.5 and the inflated one year deal was just to get him out of Montreal. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

I believe he'll sign long term for 4-4.5 and the inflated one year deal was just to get him out of Montreal. 

Indeed but he’d be a fool not to take advantage of it. If he performs well and decides that’s a good value the long-term security might be a smart move. $2-2.5M over three years barely even covers what he’d make in one year so he’d be foolish to take that.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

A contract extension can begin being negotiated in January. That contract is not going to be for 6.1 million. KK isn’t anywhere near that player and he isn’t going to become one that quickly on Carolina’s third line where he’s likely to be slotted initially.

Again, I have to imagine there’s a handshake deal between Carolina and KK’s agent for a fair market deal otherwise this is essentially a trade deadline rental for the whole season and then KK will become a free agent where he will won’t receive another contract for 6.1 million.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, eanyills said:

A contract extension can begin being negotiated in January. That contract is not going to be for 6.1 million. KK isn’t anywhere near that player and he isn’t going to become one that quickly on Carolina’s third line where he’s likely to be slotted initially.

Again, I have to imagine there’s a handshake deal between Carolina and KK’s agent for a fair market deal otherwise this is essentially a trade deadline rental for the whole season and then KK will become a free agent where he will won’t receive another contract for 6.1 million.

I don’t agree with the handshake view or the trade deadline rental. I think Carolina just flat out believes they just stole a very good young player and I think they’re wrong. I don’t believe he’s near the $6.1M or the value of the upcoming QO but I think he’d be an idiot not to use that negotiating tool.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I don’t agree with the handshake view or the trade deadline rental. I think Carolina just flat out believes they just stole a very good young player and I think they’re wrong. I don’t believe he’s near the $6.1M or the value of the upcoming QO but I think he’d be an idiot not to use that negotiating tool.

I don't he's a 6.1M player either, nor do I believe the player does, nor do I believe the club does. I believethe two sides have a handshake deal in place but Montreal would have that deal if it was offered. Thus, the outrageous one year deal toensure they don't match. 

13 hours ago, Hoss said:

8 hours ago, Hank said:

I don't he's a 6.1M player either, nor do I believe the player does, nor do I believe the club does. I believethe two sides have a handshake deal in place but Montreal would have that deal if it was offered. Thus, the outrageous one year deal toensure they don't match. 

I tend to agree with Hank here.  It's the only reasonable explanation that he will sign a reasonable deal before his QO is tendered.  Hence a 'handshake' deal.  It's the only way this thing makes sense.

I think Montreal balked at the signing bonus ... 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Struck me as a guy that could readily scratch out a decent NHL career.  Probably be a star in Europe.

I think we should all take the evidence we have and accept it on this one: he was non-tendered by two of the league’s worst franchises in a two year span and didn’t get a lick of interest otherwise.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I think we should all take the evidence we have and accept it on this one: he was non-tendered by two of the league’s worst franchises in a two year span and didn’t get a lick of interest otherwise.

I'm not suggesting we made a mistake moving on from him.  I just think the guy had the tool box to make an NHL career.  He should do quite will in Europe I imagine.

• Like (+1) 1