2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

And then Winnipeg made no effort at all to try to get another goal once play resumed.  Totally get that they were short handed and not likely to get 1 much less 2, but when they sent the puck to Moe-ray-all's end they didn't send a single player into the zone after the puck.

That was almost as surreal as the hit.

Meanwhile Colorado looks like a damn machine. 

4 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

That would be okay with me, lol. Just hope Evans is alright. Don't think he'll be back anytime soon. 

Looking at that hit, I'd be shocked if there wasn't a cervical fracture or a maxillofacial injury. Maybe it's just whiplash and a concussion, but man, that was high speed. 

He was moving his extremities on the stretcher, which is a good initial sign. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Was it a shoulder to the head.

Cuz I thought it was a great hit.

"Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent. This includes skating or leaving one's feet (jumping) into the opponent to deliver a check, accelerating through a check for the purpose of punishing the opponent, or skating a great distance for the purpose of delivering a check with excessive force."

*textbook*, predatory, vicious, suspendable, charging. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

"Charging is the action where a player takes more than two strides or travels an excessive distance to accelerate through a body check for the purpose of punishing the opponent. This includes skating or leaving one's feet (jumping) into the opponent to deliver a check, accelerating through a check for the purpose of punishing the opponent, or skating a great distance for the purpose of delivering a check with excessive force."

*textbook*, predatory, vicious, suspendable, charging. 

Yeah. That’s stupid, because how else is he supposed to chase him down and potentially stop him from that reach around goal?

He didn’t get there in time so he hit him. It wasn’t charging. They just wanted him off the ice.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yeah. That’s stupid, because how else is he supposed to chase him down and potentially stop him from that reach around goal?

He didn’t get there in time so he hit him. It wasn’t charging. They just wanted him off the ice.

whatever man. how often do you see that play? that's probably for a reason. use your head

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

whatever man. how often do you see that play? that's probably for a reason. use your head

Which part? The goal? The hit?

If it was a Sabre that made that hit in a playoff game we’d all have tight pants.

I ***** love playoff hockey!

Which part? The goal? The hit?

If it was a Sabre that made that hit in a playoff game we’d all have tight pants.

I ***** love playoff hockey!

No, we wouldn't. How else is he supposed to stop the play you asked? I dunno, play the puck? Can't play the puck because it was already *in* the net? Maybe that's saying something.

Textbook charge. Attempt to injure. Did you watch the game? Scheifele was running around like a madman the whole thing. Throw the book at him

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No, we wouldn't. How else is he supposed to stop the play you asked? I dunno, play the puck? Can't play the puck because it was already *in* the net? Maybe that's saying something.

Textbook charge. Attempt to injure. Did you watch the game? Scheifele was running around like a madman the whole thing. Throw the book at him

I really didn’t think that hit was that big of a deal.

Just because a guy gets hurt, doesn’t mean that the play was bad. I ***** hate that like everything else in the NHL, the outcome matters more than the intent. If he just got up after that hit and wasn’t injured, would there be this outcry?

i guess he should have just let him score and say, “hey buddy, great game.”

• Like (+1) 3

I really didn’t think that hit was that big of a deal.

Just because a guy gets hurt, doesn’t mean that the play was bad. I ***** hate that like everything else in the NHL, the outcome matters more than the intent. If he just got up after that hit and wasn’t injured, would there be this outcry?

i guess he should have just let him score and say, “hey buddy, great game.”

You can't skate the length of the ice at full speed and torpedo into someone. It's too dangerous - that's why it's in the rule book that you can't do it - because stuff like this is what happens and people get seriously injured. I don't really care to argue this further 

Just now, Thorny said:

You can't skate the length of the ice at full speed and torpedo into someone. It's too dangerous - that's why it's in the rule book that you can't do it - because stuff like this is what happens and people get seriously injured. I don't really care to argue this further 

He didn’t skate the length of the ice to hit him. That’s just BS. He skated the length of the ice to stop him from scoring. He didn’t get there in time. He then hit him. There is a difference.

If he didn’t get injured we wouldn’t even be talking about this and there wouldn’t even have been a penalty. God bless the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

His last stride was just behind faceoff dot. Evans got possession and headed directly into the direction of MS going for the puck. The hit might be high (i cant tell direct point of contact from the angles I've seen) but there wasn't any attempt to injury. It was a big hit on a player rounding the corner. Whatever. Not every big hit that injures someone is malicious. There is no reason for a suspension here. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

His last stride was just about about the faceoff dot. Evans got possession and headed directly into the direction of MS going for the puck. The hit might be high (i cant tell direct point of contact from the angles I've seen) but there wasn't any attempt to injury. It was a big hit on a player rounding the corner. Whatever. Not every big hit that injures someone is malicious. There is no reason for a suspension here. 

But because the NHL is stupid, the result matters, and he was injured (maybe. We’ve seen gamesmanship before). So he will probably get a game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

But because the NHL is stupid, the result matters, and he was injured (maybe. We’ve seen gamesmanship before). So he will probably get a game.

People on Reddit are talking about 5 game suspension. That's nonsense on the same level as Kadri's 8 game suspension. Everything these days is "intent to injury." I can say with full confidence every hit I've ever made had an intention of "man, hope you feel that and don't try that ***** again" and every time I've been laid out I'm fairly certain the same was going through my opponents mind. There is a difference between intent to injure and intent to hurt. It's the ***** playoffs. You play a team up to seven times. Finish your ***** checks and make your opponent wake up the next morning thinking  man maybe I can't make plays like that this series. Sucks he is hurt. Sucks he was stretchered off. But if I'm down two goals already in a seven game series and have a chance to send someone into next week I do it every time. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 2

Avalanche as a model for the Sabres to copy would be fine with me. They are everything you want in a team when they get going. 

Vegas could have something to say about that in this series but it'll take a big effort on their part. 

Just now, Norcal said:

Avalanche as a model for the Sabres to copy would be fine with me. They are everything you want in a team when they get going. 

Vegas could have something to say about that in this series but it'll take a big effort on their part. 

Find a way for the Sabres to get 6+ star players and we'll be right there!

I don't think the Schiefele hit is that bad. He's clearly putting it all on the line to get to a puck and stop a game-ending empty netter. He's a stride late. It's reckless but so is half of the ***** that happens each night, this one just happened to be at a higher speed and the guy got hurt. If Evans bounces back up nobody talks about that hit.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

I've watched the clip at least a dozen times. The goal doesn't matter, the hit does. Evans had a low center of gravity, MS lowered his shoulder direct to the chest and went upwards, causing Evans to suffer whiplash and a head contact on the ice. It happens. I just don't see how a suspension is warranted. Evans being injured should not have any impact on the legality of a hit. He put himself into a vulnerable situation and suffered the consequences. 

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I've watched the clip at least a dozen times. The goal doesn't matter, the hit does. Evans had a low center of gravity, MS lowered his shoulder direct to the chest and went upwards, causing Evans to suffer whiplash and a head contact on the ice. It happens. I just don't see how a suspension is warranted. Evans being injured should not have any impact on the legality of a hit. He put himself into a vulnerable situation and suffered the consequences. 

Didn’t he get a five and a ten for that hit?

if so, then I think the referees thought it was pretty gross negligence too.

Can"t see the hit from the other angle so am not sure if he made contact with head first or not? He didn't leave his feet before the hit.

Scheif is not known to be a dirty player and this is his first incident.

By what has been happening in the league with repeat offenders in the last month or so, if he is suspended, I'll be surprised if it more than a game or two.

I really hope Evans is okay and has a full recovery but htis is the NHL, keep your head up.

I wonder who challenges Scheif for the fight? This is going to be a rough series now for sure.

If he is suspended, that leaves our 1C and 2C out and the guy (DeMelo) playing 1RHD out as well. Big problems if Poolman has to play higher than a 3rd pairing role.

I know Forbort scored a big goal for us but there is no way he should be a starting D man on any NHL team. I'm guessing Heinola plays in DeMelo's spot...all 170 lbs. of him. 

We got outplayed and out goalied. Oh well, leave the loss behind and prepare for game 2.

I’m going to change my mind on the charging call, it’s debatable. Just watched the play, again, with the slo-mo. Schiefele’s real crime is that he is a fraction of a second late but at that speed hard to fault him. Schiefele  stopped skating in the slot and didn’t take a stride again. He kept his shoulders down and arms In. He didn’t make head contact, hit him square in the chest and didn’t leave his feet. It is a fraction of a second late but hard to avoid. Is he supposed to hand him the goal? Positively not ! It’s a brutal hit but the skater also put himself in harms way with his action too. You can argue that the skater put himself in a vulnerable position. The argument that Schiefele should back off and let him score is as ridiculous as saying the skater should not have put himself in the position he was in coming around the net at that speed and expecting to not get hit. This falls under the category of a hockey play…..it’s what happens in the game. This one is debatable. No right or wrong. The guy got hurt and it’s unfortunate and the NHL will take that into consideration and wrongfully so. Keith Jones was blathering on about how bad it was like he’s some kind of referee. It’s a little odd that an ass**** Philadelphia Flyer is taking a position on a “dirty hit” like he’s so high and mighty.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.