GDT Sabres at Rangers 6pm 4/25/21 MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

That one worked out but that seems to be the only arrow in their quiver. The one with a few minutes left in the 3rd where we had to score they killed the PP without actually taking any shots. 

I totally agree.  I don't worry too much for 2 reasons.  One, of course not having Jack hurts the PP1 and two, this compressed schedule doesn't give them time to work on things the way they could in a regular season.  Lots of new players trying to gel.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So? Did we hang with them? From here it looks like we went down 3 goals and then lost by 3 goals.

It's way past midnight for Tokarski and he's reverted back to a pumpkin. Some nice saves but some groaners too.

We missed some nice chances but so did the Rangers. At least we never gave up and we made the Rangers work for those 2 points. 

A win by the Sabres would have gotten them out of last place. Maybe Tuesday. By the way, anyone notice the regulation losing streak the Devils are on?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Radar said:

For the record I'm not for chasing people away but if one's purpose is simply to provoke an argument then so be it. 

For people new to message boards, especially one like this one where a lot of the posters are very plugged in, it takes time getting used to. 

I think a lot of new posters come from places that post things like “Dahlin should be in the AHL!” and “Eichel sucks trade him!” and that’s the basis of those “discussions.” It’s more tirades and emotional outbursts. I really do think the veteran posters here should cut new posters a little slack and understand this is a different environment than most fans are probably used to. 

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

For people new to message boards, especially one like this one where a lot of the posters are very plugged in, it takes time getting used to. 

I think a lot of new posters come from places that post things like “Dahlin should be in the AHL!” and “Eichel sucks trade him!” and that’s the basis of those “discussions.” It’s more tirades and emotional outbursts. I really do think the veteran posters here should cut new posters a little slack and understand this is a different environment than most fans are probably used to. 

Like the chat dialogue box found on certain websites during streams of the game? lol

5 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You’ve been around long enough here. Some of the threads created here are ... questionable and not top shelf also 😂

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's way past midnight for Tokarski and he's reverted back to a pumpkin. Some nice saves but some groaners too.

We missed some nice chances but so did the Rangers. At least we never gave up and we made the Rangers work for those 2 points. 

A win by the Sabres would have gotten them out of last place. Maybe Tuesday. By the way, anyone notice the regulation losing streak the Devils are on?

It's going to be tough getting the wins they'll need to slip out of last place (though not impossible) with the GTing they're likely to get the next 7 games.  They could play well & still find themselves on a 6 game losing streak heading into Pittsburgh.

Have a hard time believing Luukkonnen can shutdown the Rags & the B's will not take the Sabres for granted after Friday's game.  And the Aisles style is one the Sabres aren't well suited to counter; but those 2 games will be the most interesting out of the bunch.  Really curious to see how they plan to counter the Aisles stifling pressure.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It's going to be tough getting the wins they'll need to slip out of last place (though not impossible) with the GTing they're likely to get the next 7 games.  They could play well & still find themselves on a 6 game losing streak heading into Pittsburgh.

Have a hard time believing Luukkonnen can shutdown the Rags & the B's will not take the Sabres for granted after Friday's game.  And the Aisles style is one the Sabres aren't well suited to counter; but those 2 games will be the most interesting out of the bunch.  Really curious to see how they plan to counter the Aisles stifling pressure.

I’m very interested in seeing how Donnie G adjusts to the Rags in game 2. The Sabres might be playing harder for 6K in that one. 

2 hours ago, Radar said:

Thank you. I think there's a group here that wants Granato to look bad and doesn't want to admit this team has played vbmuch better under him. I'm not for or against Granato just saying.

I have not noticed that.  Who is in that group?   

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I’m very interested in seeing how Donnie G adjusts to the Rags in game 2. The Sabres might be playing harder for 6K in that one. 

They'll be playing hard.

But the Rags have 5 guys with 40+ points.  Will be shocked if Luukkonnen gives up less than 4.  Can he hold them to that & can the Sabres get to 5?  

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They'll be playing hard.

But the Rags have 5 guys with 40+ points.  Will be shocked if Luukkonnen gives up less than 4.  Can he hold them to that & can the Sabres get to 5?  

It depends on whether Donnie G has them adjust or not. The Rags moved the puck very quickly and well, which continually got the Sabres out of position. 

The only way to really counteract that is to be aggressive with the puck and attack the puck carriers. 

1 hour ago, TgeekB said:

We haven’t succeeded with him. We may be able to get quite a bit for him and, perhaps, it will reap better results.

We’ve all seen team with talent, perhaps no superstar, that succeeds because the players all fit the system. We all wanted him to be the savior. It hasn’t worked out. Could it? How long will it take? It’s merely a different perspective. 

Ok, now I have to jump on here.  

My fandom goes back to the AHL Bisons.  Like you, I was there in 1970, in the Aud watching.  I still disagree with you.  

Eichel is not “the problem”.   The problem is obvious.  The Pegula’s have not found anyone that can run a hockey team.  There is a rotating door at Coach, and at  GM (actually the entire FO).  There has never been a solid plan in place for  long enough to even get results.   Hoping that Adams and the new AGM change that but we don’t know that they will, so why  trade our best player?   

My only issue with Eichel is that to me he has shown immaturity as a leader, and I can attribute that to my opinion that he should have never been given a C so early in his career.   I can go on and on on the mistakes past GMs have made.  Just know I fear trading Eichel because I still have little confidence that the front office can negotiate a deal from a position of strength.  I can see low ball offers, trade talks stalling, and every interested GM in the league in on it.   NHL Hockey is a tight fraternity and we have NO ONE in it.    Again, maybe the new AGM will help?  

In addition, you don’t reach elite status in this league without superstar players.  Systems are only part of it.  A well coached team of decent talent can be a decent team.  But it’s the well coached teams with the special talent that consistently win, and win Cups.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ok, now I have to jump on here.  

My fandom goes back to the AHL Bisons.  Like you, I was there in 1970, in the Aud watching.  I still disagree with you.  

Eichel is not “the problem”.   The problem is obvious.  The Pegula’s have not found anyone that can run a hockey team.  There is a rotating door at Coach, and at  GM (actually the entire FO).  There has never been a solid plan in place for  long enough to even get results.   Hoping that Adams and the new AGM change that but we don’t know that they will, so why  trade our best player?   

My only issue with Eichel is that to me he has shown immaturity as a leader, and I can attribute that to my opinion that he should have never been given a C so early in his career.   I can go on and on on the mistakes past GMs have made.  Just know I fear trading Eichel because I still have little confidence that the front office can negotiate a deal from a position of strength.  I can see low ball offers, trade talks stalling, and every interested GM in the league in on it.   NHL Hockey is a tight fraternity and we have NO ONE in it.    Again, maybe the new AGM will help?  

In addition, you don’t reach elite status in this league without superstar players.  Systems are only part of it.  A well coached team of decent talent can be a decent team.  But it’s the well coached teams with the special talent that consistently win, and win Cups.   

You are stuck in the old era of captains. The current captains are now the best player on the team, or the highest paid player. 

Not that I agree with it, but that’s what “captains” are today. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You are stuck in the old era of captains. The current captains are now the best player on the team, or the highest paid player. 

Not that I agree with it, but that’s what “captains” are today. 

I’m not stuck anywhere.  Captains have pretty much always been the best players with a few exceptions.  I think Eichel was given the C before his time.  I think the team was foolishly stripped of veterans to perform a foolish tank.  I think the whole thing was a calamity.   The kind that gets you 10+ years of hickey hell.  

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I didn’t see the game. Was Togaraki bad or the kiddie Corp D group?

Toker was rough. D was okay but got caught in their end a few times. I think the risk of the Sabres playing with so much energy is if they fail to clear to clear their zone they are exhausted and things cycle downward.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.