Buffalo Sabres Training Camp (2020/21)

LGR4GM

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I bet we see increased scoring in the NHL just like the wjc when this thing starts. 

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why?

I agree.  League wide the defense pairs will have little time to establish/rekindle their communication.  I think teams in general will have issues with missed coverage.  Things like two dmen going behind their own net, chasing and not closing the backdoor.  PKs will get caught watching the puck and goalies will take some time to get use to in game speed.  Just my opinion though and I think after the first month these things will be mitigated.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Definitely.

I also think Skinner Staal Reinhart could be a dominant 2nd line in the offensive zone: three guys with exceptional puck skills in traffic, two of them very smart.

Sam’s presence addresses any potential entries and exits issues, but I am curious about how they will move the puck through the neutral zone; there is no Johansson on that line. Maybe we see Montour, Miller and Dahlin carrying in transition more. (Semi-related, this is one area where Eakin should be an upgrade on Larry)

Maybe Sam can develop in that area. I’ve always thought deference to Jack has stunted the puckhandling portion of his game I saw in juniors. Excited to see how he does as a line driver, particularly with two very good players. Staal/Granlund was an excellent combo for the Wild and Sam’s game has similarities to Granlund’s.

I think that Sam has more to give in the puck carrying department.  I agree that playing with Eichel, we don’t see it so much, but as his skating has improved, I’ve seen his puck carrying improve along with it.  

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Reinhart with Staal and Skinner, guess that slots Cozens into the 3rd line. 

I'm starting to wonder if he and Casey will start off on the taxi squad. I tell you what if Casey M comes around like I expect, he, Cozens, Quinn and JJ make a pretty good 4some coming up the pipeline. Add Tage to the list and that future 2nd and 3rd lines look full.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

I'm starting to wonder if he and Casey will start off on the taxi squad. I tell you what if Casey M comes around like I expect, he, Cozens, Quinn and JJ make a pretty good 4some coming up the pipeline. Add Tage to the list and that future 2nd and 3rd lines look full.

Whether Cozens ends up taxi squading will likely be very dependent upon whether that eats into his 9 (5?, 6?) game tryout.  Doubt he'd be there while in that window, but once the decision to keep him on the roster has been made; yes, can see him occasionally scratched situational.

Am fully expecting Mittelstadt to start on the taxi squad but also be the 1st offensive call up.

14 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I can see 1RW being a rotational position since Oloffson isn’t going to handle the crazy minutes that line is going to get all by himself.  Thompson, Cozens, etc. rotating in here and there 

It'll probably be used like 1LW was last year, end of period & right before a TV timeout he gets replaced by a more experienced vet.  But fully expect him to be in that role the vast majority of the time.  He'll get ~17 minutes to Eichel's 21 would be my guess.

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I agree.  League wide the defense pairs will have little time to establish/rekindle their communication.  I think teams in general will have issues with missed coverage.  Things like two dmen going behind their own net, chasing and not closing the backdoor.  PKs will get caught watching the puck and goalies will take some time to get use to in game speed.  Just my opinion though and I think after the first month these things will be mitigated.

But we see elevated scoring early each year and then it decreases later in the season.  With each game being more valuable relatively (each is close to 2% of the full RS rather than just a smidge over 1% as normally) plus only playing 7 different opponents who will presumably learn the opponents tendencies better am expecting more of a low scoring playoff style game across the board when the whole year is viewed.

Edit: just caught the "when this thing starts" in the OP.  Yes, scoring will likely be elevated early as it always is.  🍺

Edited by Taro T

Just now, Taro T said:

But we see elevated scoring early each year and then it decreases later in the season.  With each game being more valuable relatively (each is close to 2% of the full RS rather than just a smidge over 1% as normally) plus only playing 7 different opponents who will presumably learn the opponents tendencies better am expecting more of a low scoring playoff style game across the board when the whole year is viewed.

The difference is the players league wide go roughly three to five months between seasons then have a full camp, scrimmages and exhibitions.  This year they get two weeks to bust nine months of rust off.  There will be timing and communication issues defensively that in a normal season wouldn’t be as prevalent.  

Every game is a little more important this year too.  I don’t see teams going into Alamo mode with a lead or hesitant to take chances if down a goal.  I think every team is going to run and gun the whole season. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Top 6 is how I had it. 

Looks like they have Eakin subbed in for Larsson. Ehhhh...they better be planning on changing the deployment. 

Looks like it could be Cozens and Thompson paired as wings on a line as predicted, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to get done centered by Lazar.

What was listed as our 4th line last year, is now listed as our 3rd line, complete with a massive downgrade at C. This is pretty troubling in an offseason where we needed big improvement across the board. 

D setup looks atrocious.

We are going to need to lean heavily on the top 6. Thankfully it looks like a good one. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Based on the comment really does seem like we are looking at the roster for opening night. Really curious where this leaves Cozens tbh. I don't see a ready-made spot for him where he'd seem to fit in. 4th line at C with one of Rieder or Lazar at RW doesn't seem like a good spot for him, and neither does 4RW being centered by Lazar. Maybe he starts on the taxi squad. 

Seeing this hits home how much I was evidently subconsciously looking/hoping for Cozens to provide offensive spark from the W as a rookie - that bottom 6 as listed isn't going to score, and it's going to have a more difficult time defending than last year, too. 

Edited by Thorny

36 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Top 6 is how I had it. 

Looks like they have Eakin subbed in for Larsson. Ehhhh...they better be planning on changing the deployment. 

Looks like it could be Cozens and Thompson paired as wings on a line as predicted, but I'm not sure what they'll be able to get done centered by Lazar.

What was listed as our 4th line last year, is now listed as our 3rd line, complete with a massive downgrade at C. This is pretty troubling in an offseason where we needed big improvement across the board. 

D setup looks atrocious.

We are going to need to lean heavily on the top 6. Thankfully it looks like a good one. 

Am hoping that once Cozens shows up that Eakin & Lazar flip and the 3rd line goes from being ac2 way line to strictly a shut down line and that also bumps up the 4th line from 10 mins/ game to 12 / game.  But doubt it.  Krueger tends to seem to be fairly stubborn.

Mildly, but pleasantly, surprised Miller is the 3rd LD.  He's better than Irwin but was expecting he'd still kind of be on the outs w/ Ralph.  Maybe he really has stopped pining for Vegas if that was in fact what was keeping him on the outs last year.

Really still hoping Adams can pull the trigger on a goalie upgrade.  If there were no taxi squads expect he could've gotten it done w/ AZ; now, not so sure.

Guess we disagree on the D.

And expect the top 2 D-pairings will be 1A & 1B, not 1, 2.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Am hoping that once Cozens shows up that Eakin & Lazar flip and the 3rd line goes from being ac2 way line to strictly a shut down line and that also bumps up the 4th line from 10 mins/ game to 12 / game.  But doubt it.  Krueger tends to seem to be fairly stubborn.

Mildly, but pleasantly, surprised Miller is the 3rd LD.  He's better than Irwin but was expecting he'd still kind of be on the outs w/ Ralph.  Maybe he really has stopped pining for Vegas if that was in fact what was keeping him on the outs last year.

Really still hoping Adams can pull the trigger on a goalie upgrade.  If there were no taxi squads expect he could've gotten it done w/ AZ; now, not so sure.

Guess we disagree on the D.

And expect the top 2 D-pairings will be 1A & 1B, not 1, 2.

Ya, he'd probably have Eakin and Lazar switched right now if that was the plan, based on how they seem to be approaching these lines. So where does that leave Cozens? 4th Liner with Lazar as his C? Taxi squad?

I mean if they have any intention of putting together a winning season, Risto can't be getting top pair minutes.

Dahlin needs that at this point anyways, if they play him second pair all year they'll either overpay for PP points without knowing his true worth, or have to bridge him. Bleargh.  

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, he'd probably have Eakin and Lazar switched right now if that was the plan, based on how they seem to be approaching these lines. So where does that leave Cozens? 4th Liner with Lazar as his C? Taxi squad?

I mean if they have any intention of putting together a winning season, Risto can't be getting top pair minutes.

Dahlin needs that at this point anyways, if they play him second pair all year they'll either overpay for PP points without knowing his true worth, or have to bridge him. Bleargh.  

Though my preference would be to start him on the wing, wondering if when he plays he takes Lazar's spot flanked by Thompson & Reider.

As for Dahlin, expecting he'll get the minutes Ristolsinen got last year - roughly the same at ES, but more PP, & fewer PK.  Hoping that Montour or Miller QB's the 2nd PP helping to reduce Risto's minutes a tad.

McCabe-Risto will be the 1st PK D for better or worse.  Not sure who Jokiharju will be paired with for the 2nd pairing.  If it isn't set in stone, would expect Montour to normally be the 4th, but w/ Dahlin taking some time there.

Some interesting weigh-in stats:

• Rasmus Dahlin 6’3 207, up from 193
  • Will Borgen 6’3”, 205, up from 198
  • Matt Irwin 6’2” 189, down from 207 and he somehow grew an inch
  • Matthias Samuelsson is the biggest Dman at 6’4” 225, 4 pound heavier than Risto
  • Cody Eakin 6’0” 196, up from 183
  • Zemgus Girgensons 6’2” 213, which is only up 2 pounds, I was just surprised he’s that heavy
  • Curtis Lazar 6’0” 193, down from 211
  • Casey Mittelstadt 6’1” 196, down from 199
  • Eric Staal 6’4” 195, down from 206
  • Tage Thompson 6’7” 219, up from 215, but down from the 228 reported a few months back
  • And Jack Eichel 6’2”, 213 up from 203

Wonder how many of these changes are at team direction? Irwin and Staal are two older guys I could see them wanting to trim down to play with pace. Dahlin and Eakin a couple I could see them wanting more muscle.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

• Matthias Samuelsson is the biggest Dman at 6’4” 225, 4 pound heavier than Risto
  • Zemgus Girgensons 6’2” 213, which is only up 2 pounds, I was just surprised he’s that heavy
  • Tage Thompson 6’7” 219, up from 215, but down from the 228 reported a few months back

Wonder how many of these changes are at team direction? Irwin and Staal are two older guys I could see them wanting to trim down to play with pace. Dahlin and Eakin a couple I could see them wanting more muscle.

Lazar is lighter, wonder how that changes his game. 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Risto lead the team in ES minutes last season, correct? 

It can't be the case again. 

Until we see otherwise, the expectation should be that it will be.  But expect Dahlin to have almost identical ES deployment to what Risto ends up with.  Likely ~17 minutes each.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is a reason they call him the Latvian Locomotive & it isn't merely that it's alliterative.  😉

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Take Ralph at his word and Cozens is on the outside of those guaranteed to start,  but  will get plenty of opportunity change that, and Dahlin will be getting more ice time. 

I suspect we’ll probably see the top 2 pairs getting relatively equal ES minutes, with Dahlin’s minutes climbing somewhat (maybe with some PK time) and Risto’s fall due to being off PP1.

What was interesting down the stretch last year was how much ice time Montour was getting; more ES time than any of them. I’m curious to see how much effort gets put into having the Dahlin/Montour pair out with one of our top two lines.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Mitts down a few pounds.  Hopefully that's indicative of improved fitness.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

The difference is the players league wide go roughly three to five months between seasons then have a full camp, scrimmages and exhibitions.  This year they get two weeks to bust nine months of rust off.  There will be timing and communication issues defensively that in a normal season wouldn’t be as prevalent.  

Every game is a little more important this year too.  I don’t see teams going into Alamo mode with a lead or hesitant to take chances if down a goal.  I think every team is going to run and gun the whole season. 

The 1st bolded sentence is why the rest of the bolded is backwards IMHO.  Teams that run & gun make mistakes that end up in their own net.  And losing important games via really ugly turnovers is a great way to get a coach fired and they know that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.