2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Is there any chance Beniers has a development similar to Sasha Barkov or is he not that gifted offensively?

A lot of the prospect writers compare him with Toews 

his numbers are similar too.  Toews was nearly a point a game freshman in 05/06.  Plays in the WJC and get 2 points for Canada.   Gets drafted in 06

Beniers  is a point a game player as a Freshman at Michigan and has 3 points as 2nd line center at WJC for USA.  

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

A lot of the prospect writers compare him with Toews 

his numbers are similar too.  Toews was nearly a point a game freshman in 05/06.  Plays in the WJC and get 2 points for Canada.   Gets drafted in 06

Beniers  is a point a game player as a Freshman at Michigan and has 3 points as 2nd line center at WJC for USA.  

The only thing toews is the  Defence game 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers shot, vision, and passing are being severely underrated. 

People said the same thing about Girgensons he was supposed to be this "toews" player ..

But I could argue maybe taking him out of college ruined his career

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Too bad  Wright isn’t draft eligible!

Wonder what teams tank in 23? Looks like 2 superstars on there way 

3  Generational players  ( 22, 23 ) 

The 2022 draft is going to be like 2003 loaded with talent 

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

People said the same thing about Girgensons he was supposed to be this "toews" player ..

But I could argue maybe taking him out of college ruined his career

3  Generational players  ( 22, 23 ) 

The 2022 draft is going to be like 2003 loaded with talent 

Zemgus didn't have Beniers hands, shot, or skating. 

Also you're only saying that because Beniers has an excellent defensive game. That's the only mild comparable to Zemgus. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers shot, vision, and passing are being severely underrated. 

I mean, they are good, but are they elite?  He has never really put up elite offensive numbers.

The one thing that I feel about players with great hockey IQ and work ethic is that they seem to just keep getting better and end up playing above their “ceiling”.  Like a ROR  who isn’t flashy and everyone pegged as a good 2C.  Then he is putting up 70+ points while playing elite defense and everyone realizes that he is one of the 20 best C’s in the league.

I guess I’m just trying to say who knows, he could end up with more offense to give, but I have a hard time projecting that because he hasn’t put up really eye opening numbers at lower levels.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I mean, they are good, but are they elite?  He has never really put up elite offensive numbers.

The one thing about that I feel about players with great hockey IQ and work ethic is that they seem to just keep getting better and end up playing above their “ceiling”.  Like a ROR  who isn’t flashy and everyone pegged as a good 2C.  Then he is putting up 70+ points while playing elite defense and everyone realizes that he is one of the 20 best C’s in the league.

I guess I’m just trying to say who knows, he could end up with more offense to give, but I have have a hard time projecting that because he hasn’t put up really eye opting numbers at lower levels.

The PNHx stats through Dobber prospects has him as a 65-70 point player 

their model uses players age, league, stats and position   How accurate is the model? No idea 

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

their model uses players age, league, stats and position   How accurate is the model? No idea 

What’s this now?

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Guenther is 100 points  or am I just reading that wrong because I'm half drunk

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Are Beniers & Power NHL ready come October?

Is anyone else?

I’ve seen that Eklund is one of the more likely immediate players but idk the class well enough to really say. It sounds like there isn’t much expectation for this class to play right away. Which sucks because ideally if you draft at one or two that player is in your lineup on day one.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Honestly cant believe anyone would be happy with a player that wont get many points in the nhl 

Buffalo needs to go Guenther or Eklund 

Please sell us on Guenther. I just watched a mediocre player at the U18s.  Where is all this offence coming from?  He played nothing like a top pick.  Was probably the 5th or 6th best draft eligible player on Canada. He is a passenger that needs help to produce offence. Just don’t see it at all with him.

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Please sell us on Guenther. I just watched a mediocre player at the U18s.  Where is all this offence coming from?  He played nothing like a top pick.  Was probably the 5th or 6th best draft eligible player on Canada. He is a passenger that needs help to produce offence. Just don’t see it at all with him.

I did not watch a second of the tournament but see that he had 4-3-7 in 7 games. Seems like he was putting up points.

Meanwhile Beniers put up 1-2-3 in 7 but is the darling in these parts.

I’d like to hear more.

Edited by Hoss

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I did not watch a second of the tournament but see that he had 4-3-7 in 7 games. Seems like he was putting up points.

Meanwhile Beniers put up 1-2-3 in 7 but is the darling in these parts.

I’d like to hear more.

... well one was the u20 and Beniers was 18

The other was the u18 and Guenther just turned 18 so... 

Age matters. With that it's time for a break. 

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

... well one was the u20 and Beniers was 18

The other was the u18 and Guenther just turned 18 so... 

Age matters. With that it's time for a break. 

Ah, this is why watching the tournament might have helped me know that Beniers wasn't in it lol. But I'd still like to hear more about Guenther because there seems to be pretty universal disappointment in his role there (not just on this board) despite producing at a decent clip.

Apologies for making a mistake and hurting your feelings so badly, Liger. It won't happen again.

Edited by Hoss

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

Probably because Canada was dominant and everyone put up points.  Guenther was expected to be one of the couple best players on the team.  He finished the tournament tied for 8th on the team in points and was outperformed by some players ranked lower in the draft.

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ah, this is why watching the tournament might have helped me know that Beniers wasn't in it lol. But I'd still like to hear more about Guenther because there seems to be pretty universal disappointment in his role there (not just on this board) despite producing at a decent clip.

Apologies for making a mistake and hurting your feelings so badly, Liger. It won't happen again.

Speaking of Beniers

Just now, Thorny said:

Trading down is fine in the later rounds

Basically once you hit round 3, everything starts to be about the same. Round 4 and on... trade down to your hearts content based on your board. It's a crap shoot. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.