2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

meh. Nobody screams typical top pick to me. I still think this is the right time to trade down. Give somebody else that so called top pick in exchange for their lower 1st and whatever the going rate is for their desire. Multiple lower picks this year could yield really good results. It's a very non typical year.  

Trading down in the NHL draft is a fool’s errand barring a trade akin to #1 for #4 and another top 15 pick. You can’t trade out of the top 5 and get a top tier players unlike the NFL draft

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Trading down in the NHL draft is a fool’s errand barring a trade akin to #1 for #4 and another top 15 pick. You can’t trade out of the top 5 and get a top tier players unlike the NFL draft

I honestly think people don't understand the differences between the NFL draft and the nhl 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:59 AM, LGR4GM said:

On 4/30/2021 at 11:53 AM, LGR4GM said:

Here is why trading down may not be the best idea in the first 2 rounds of the NHL draft. I hope that wording is acceptable. 

https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

Trading down in the NHL draft is a bad idea. 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

meh. Nobody screams typical top pick to me. I still think this is the right time to trade down. Give somebody else that so called top pick in exchange for their lower 1st and whatever the going rate is for their desire. Multiple lower picks this year could yield really good results. It's a very non typical year.  

You want multiple lower picks in a shallow draft? 

confused will ferrell GIF

I am also very anti-trade down. I’d have a conversation with Seattle about going from one to three in exchange for them taking Okposo in the expansion draft but that’s not going to happen. Maybe if we landed a first next year to go back a few slots but that’s also not happening. Just take the guy you want the most and move on.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, #freejame said:

ryan reynolds hd GIF

With covid leagues around the world have been  Affected so players that could of had breakout years and moved up in the draft are still in the 3rd and 4th rounds .

For example if ehlers didn't get to play for Halifax ( Because of covid) he would have been his 3rd round grade that year 

Think about buffalo's jack quinn went from a 4th -5th round grade to top ten 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I am also very anti-trade down. I’d have a conversation with Seattle about going from one to three in exchange for them taking Okposo in the expansion draft but that’s not going to happen. Maybe if we landed a first next year to go back a few slots but that’s also not happening. Just take the guy you want the most and move on.

If sam doesn't want to stay i would trade him to seattle for the 1st pick 

28 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm well aware it's not like the NFL. 

I just think the top prospects this year are not all that special and I don't want to Nylander this draft. 

If it wasn't for the expansion draft I'd be saying trade the pick away for a player or maybe even a multi deal. This lottery simply doesn't hold the kind of promise we had with Eichel, Dahlin, or even Reinhart. I generally am against trading firsts away but I'm sick of losing and this draft sucks. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

With covid leagues around the world have been  Affected so players that could of had breakout years and moved up in the draft are still in the 3rd and 4th rounds .

For example if ehlers didn't get to play for Halifax ( Because of covid) he would have been his 3rd round grade that year 

Think about buffalo's jack quinn went from a 4th -5th round grade to top ten 

Yes. this. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm well aware it's not like the NFL. 

I just think the top prospects this year are not all that special and I don't want to Nylander this draft. 

If it wasn't for the expansion draft I'd be saying trade the pick away for a player or maybe even a multi deal. This lottery simply doesn't hold the kind of promise we had with Eichel, Dahlin, or even Reinhart. I generally am against trading firsts away but I'm sick of losing and this draft sucks. 

In all honesty I am getting sick of "this draft sucks" When that's not true at all All these players have been messed up due to covid 

With less  Scouting and some leagues not playing and teams stoping Because someone has covid is  So ridiculous in my mind

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Pretty much agree with a high pick - though for me, trading it outright is an option. But it never seems to come to that anyways. 

Heading into the later rounds trading down can make sense and it’s statistically borne out, but in the first couple rounds when you can hypothetically more easily spot difference between the players, someone would need to come with a big offer 

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

In all honesty I am getting sick of "this draft sucks" When that's not true at all All these players have been messed up due to covid 

With less  Scouting and some leagues not playing and teams stoping Because someone has covid is  So ridiculous in my mind

Sucks is maybe the wrong word but it's not a rich draft at the top and it's definitely a roll the dice year more than most.

I still think Owen Power is the best top pick and not picking a D man because he's a D man etc. would be a mistake. 

So if you don't want to trade down, 

1. Owen Power

2. Zachary L'Heureux (trade up to late first to get him if necessary)

3. Red Savage  cause, well, that's just the coolest hockey name ever. 

after that no idea. Grab a goalie and then some size grit and raw skill from who knows where (hopefully the Sabres management does)

That's my wish fulfillment draft. 

Edited by PerreaultForever

In general, if you are worse at something than your peers, you need more chances at it in order to get the same total aggregate results.  This is the year where luck will matter more than usual throughout the draft, so there should be more variance in quality of players picked than usual.  That means a bad scouting team will want more picks this year to find more guys who fell through the cracks.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Sucks is maybe the wrong word but it's not a rich draft at the top and it's definitely a roll the dice year more than most.

I still think Owen Power is the best top pick and not picking a D man because he's a D man etc. would be a mistake. 

So if you don't want to trade down, 

1. Owen Power

2. Zachary L'Heureux (trade up to late first to get him if necessary)

3. Red Savage  cause, well, that's just the coolest hockey name ever. 

after that no idea. Grab a goalie and then some size grit and raw skill from who knows where (hopefully the Sabres management does)

That's my wish fulfillment draft. 

1st overall - dylan guenther

Trade Ristolainen for a late first

Draft aatu Raty

Trade sam for a package with a 1st included  

Draft Chibrikov

2nd round logan stankoven

Boston 2nd rounder 

lsak rosen

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

If sam doesn't want to stay i would trade him to seattle for the 1st pick 

Was literally thinking about this today.

16 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

1st overall - dylan guenther

Trade Ristolainen for a late first

Draft aatu Raty

Trade sam for a package with a 1st included  

Draft Chibrikov

2nd round logan stankoven

Boston 2nd rounder 

lsak rosen

I like some of those... but not all. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like some of those... but not all. 

aatu raty is one ? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we had an extra  top 5 pick then i would think D after forward .

Could help us build a cup  Contender

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

aatu raty is one ? 

If we had an extra  top 5 pick then i would think D after forward .

Could help us build a cup  Contender

Depends where I get Raty. 

You could draft Beniers and Eklund/Clarke with that other first. 

31 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

In general, if you are worse at something than your peers, you need more chances at it in order to get the same total aggregate results.  This is the year where luck will matter more than usual throughout the draft, so there should be more variance in quality of players picked than usual.  That means a bad scouting team will want more picks this year to find more guys who fell through the cracks.

Luck matters infinite less at the top of NHL drafts.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Luck matters infinite less at the top of NHL drafts.

Yes.  I am saying that I like having a lot of picks in this draft.  Keep the highest and see what you can do with the other picks.

25 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's 5'10" which means he's bound to slide a little because NHL teams be dumb

Small sample sizes both but he has really produced both in the WHL and at the U18’s this season.  Looks like he led the WHL in points per game for draft year defensemen.

https://www.recruitscouting.com/player-profile-olen-zellweger/

"His deft edge work, low centre of gravity and ability to handle in tight allows him to absorb checks below the goal-line and escape from the pressure up ice. He doesn’t show any signs of hesitation on the puck and despite his smaller size, he doesn’t shy away from bigger, stronger opponents bearing down on him."

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Small sample sizes both but he has really produced both in the WHL and at the U18’s this season.  Looks like he led the WHL in points per game for draft year defensemen.

At his age, that's really noteworthy. He's got a great shot at growing another inch or 2 considering he's only 17. A 6ft tall Zellweger would be able to add some muscle and really crank it up. He's a great option for that Boston 2nd rounder or our first 3rd rounder.

• Like (+1) 2

My list currently consists of 55 names and may get as high as 60 or as low as 50 when all is said and done. Right now however there is little to do until draft guides drop and I can get at more knowledge. Simon Edvinsson though... is going to be shockingly low on my list and honestly, idc. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.