2021 NHL Draft Rankings

Brawndo

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Sabres officially cannot draft any lower than 3rd over all

my top 3 wish list

1) Beniers - will join team late next season, play LW for a year or two and can move to Center if injury to Eichel, Samson or Mitts.  If things don’t turn around in a year or 2, he can become full time center is Samson or Eichel traded 

Eklund - probably would stay in Sweden for the year, moving to AHL late next season  would become a top 6 LW for Sabres following year 

Guenther - don’t want to read too much into the u18s but certainly is concerning    Great shot,  good anticipation and works hard.  would bring another right hand shot to the organization   Would compete with Quinn as a top 6 RW in 2022-23

Clarke - with a good chance we are close to seeing Risto move on, he would be a great addition to their depth.  Currently the only RHD are Borgen and Jokiharju and one the young D on the Amerks - Fitzgerald? 
the Left side is pretty well set for the foreseeable future with Dahlin, Samsuelsson, Bryson, Johnson, etc

i could see Clarke moving into the #2 slot on my “Sabres” draft board by the time the draft comes around 

Everyone knows I am not a fan of him  I don't see him getting huge points at all but ...

He's already a elite defender put him on the 3rd line as the center not a winger 

Edited by Buffalonill

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Guenther - don’t want to read too much into the u18s but certainly is concerning    Great shot,  good anticipation and works hard.  would bring another right hand shot to the organization   Would compete with Quinn as a top 6 RW in 2022-23

People said the same thing about  Nathan MacKinnon .

Just saying 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I would keep him there for now. The thing is if you draft Beniers, he is a transition monster. 

Do you prefer Reinhart or Cozens as C2? I'll assume we are good with Mitts as 3C?   I think (at least for a few years) the team is better with Samson at Center and Cozens as a winger.  Having too many centers is a great problem to have.

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Do you prefer Reinhart or Cozens as C2? I'll assume we are good with Mitts as 3C?   I think (at least for a few years) the team is better with Samson at Center and Cozens as a winger.  Having too many centers is a great problem to have.

If you're drafting beniers you put casey at wing 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

People said the same thing about  Nathan MacKinnon .

Just saying 

I would have no issue if Guenther is the pick, I agree that Beniers doesn't have the typical offensive skill set as the 1st overall pick would usually have but he brings what the Sabres need more of.  Im thinking more Jonathan Toews, less Patrick Laine.  

Just now, Buffalonill said:

If you're drafting beniers you put casey at wing 

True, maybe not right away but its an interesting thought.   great to have options....finally!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would have no issue if Guenther is the pick, I agree that Beniers doesn't have the typical offensive skill set as the 1st overall pick would usually have but he brings what the Sabres need more of.  Im thinking more Jonathan Toews, less Patrick Laine.  

True, maybe not right away but its an interesting thought.   great to have options....finally!

Guenther has the higher calling agreed

Beniers i see a sean couturier with less offense

And yes its a great problem to have 

Edited by Buffalonill

46 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's kinda funny. Every farmer and their mom was penciling Cozens in as the heir apparent at 2, even 1C, and now he often doesn't even feature in projections for our future centres (red line. it IS spelt like that, where I live). In my estimation he's gotta still be there - if we're still thinking he's going to be as good as we were thinking and hoping, I think that necessitates it. 

I do like the idea of Mittelstadt on wing when the time is right. His shot is quick and nifty and accurate and it's his best asset. Easily utilized from the wing. He can be a good centre, too, I think, but I don't think we'd lose anything with him at W. 

I still think Cozens ends up owning the middle of the ice, 200 feet

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Assuming for arguments sake we get the 1st overall pick.  Is this a draft where you trade down to pick up more assets?

To answer your question, yes this is a draft to do it but not to far. Maybe a couple spots if you have someone in mind you know you could get 3 or 4. But never trade out of the top 5. All the players at the top seem to be in the same tier so if someone wants to give you a bucketful of assets to move down a few spots and you can still get your guy then sure.

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Assuming for arguments sake we get the 1st overall pick.  Is this a draft where you trade down to pick up more assets?

No, trading down from the top of the draft is stupid. I’d only consider trading it out entirely for a young player.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Right now Reinhart 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not again, seriously? 

parks and rec computer GIF

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would only consider it if you have a specific player in mind that you really like who you “know” will be available later.  In general I think trading down is a bad idea.

And as always, it just depends on the trade and how far down.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I would only consider it if you have a specific player in mind that you really like who you “know” will be available later.  In general I think trading down is a bad idea.

And as always, it just depends on the trade and how far down.

Tkachuk QO is madeness next year 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's kinda funny. Every farmer and their mom was penciling Cozens in as the heir apparent at 2, even 1C, and now he often doesn't even feature in projections for our future centres (red line. it IS spelt like that, where I live). In my estimation he's gotta still be there - if we're still thinking he's going to be as good as we were thinking and hoping, I think that necessitates it. 

I do like the idea of Mittelstadt on wing when the time is right. His shot is quick and nifty and accurate and it's his best asset. Easily utilized from the wing. He can be a good centre, too, I think, but I don't think we'd lose anything with him at W. 

I still think Cozens ends up owning the middle of the ice, 200 feet

I still don't think Mittelstadt is well suited for life on the wing.  He does his best work when he doesn't have a wall on his right side.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I still don't think Mittelstadt is well suited for life on the wing.  He does his best work when he doesn't have a wall on his right side.

Agreed. I think he can flourish and 3C

As for Cozens, I think eventually he can be 2C but with the way Samson is playing, there is absolutely no reason to rush it.  Give him a few years on the RW.  
same thing if they get lucky enough to get Beniers, 

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Are Beniers & Power NHL ready come October?

Is anyone else?

I will be surprised if any players in this years draft is in the NHL come October 

though some believe Eklund is pretty close

i do know that I don’t want to see any Dman under 20 on the Sabres ever again.  

As for Beniers, I’d guess we see him in the NHL once the NCAA season is over

id be interested in what others think. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

Is there any chance Beniers has a development similar to Sasha Barkov or is he not that gifted offensively?

Almost certainly not that gifted offensively.  I doubt he will be a real top scorer, probably more of a 45-65 point guy.

What I like about his game is that he is constantly applying pressure to the other team, making life hard for them.  When he doesn’t have the puck he always trying to get it back, great on the forecheck/backcheck.  When he does get it back he quickly gets it up the ice, either by skating or passing.  He is very mentally and physically engaged, always “on”.  Fast skater, good size, some physicality, makes good decisions, good, but not elite, offensive skills.

Other teams are just going to hate playing against him. Also, he has a punchable face, I consider that a positive attribute.

I feel like he also fits in well with what Adams seems to want.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Almost certainly not that gifted offensively.  I doubt he will be a real top scorer, probably more of a 45-65 point guy.

What I like about his game is that he is constantly applying pressure to the other team, making life hard for them.  When he doesn’t have the puck he always trying to get it back, great on the forecheck/backcheck.  When he does get it back he quickly gets it up the ice, either by skating or passing.  He is very mentally and physically engaged, always “on”.  Fast skater, makes good decisions, good, but not elite, offensive skills.

Other teams are just going to hate playing against him. Also, he has a punchable face, I consider that a positive attribute.

Or you can draft dylan guenther and watch him get 70-80 apples with cozens 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

What I like about his game is that he is constantly applying pressure to the other team, making life hard for them.  When he doesn’t have the puck he always trying to get it back, great on the forecheck/backcheck.  When he does get it back he quickly gets it up the ice, either by skating or passing.  He is very mentally and physically engaged, always “on”.  Fast skater, makes good decisions, good, but not elite, offensive skills.

Thinking that's the guy I'd like to see them end up with.

Would give a C spine of Eichel; 2 of Cozens, Mittelstadt, & Reinhart; and Beniers.  If there's an injury up top, all 3 of those could be C's & if Beniers gets hurt, Asplund could step up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.