Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

Sabres sign Tage Thompson to 3 year 1.4 AAV Extension

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

 

That has the potential to be one of the best contracts the Sabres have signed in years.

  • Like (+1) 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this means they have big plans for him, given the 3 year term after proving, well, nothing. Cost is low so it's only worrying if they already have him penciled in. 

There isn't enough information to claim that, though, I just think THEY think they have something. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Looks like they have him penciled in this year as second line RW next to Stall.

See this would be the mistake I was getting at. I don't think we can claim that yet, but if we don't add other RWers I'd say it's a good bet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a good 4th liners salary.

its more than he deserves now, but it’s so easy for him to live up to and surpass.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial reaction is that it’s too much and Tage hasn’t proven squat.

But.........it is 3 years.  It’s a bet on the player.  1 or 2 years from now they could have a 20+ goal scorer for $1.4M.  I don’t think it means they have him penciled into the top 6 or anything.

Does anyone know if this is a 2 way deal?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny, you mention Smith and Oglivie and you are told they didn’t show enough in the AHL. You mention Tage and you are told his tearing up the AHL doesn’t mean anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Curt said:

My initial reaction is that it’s too much and Tage hasn’t proven squat.

But.........it is 3 years.  It’s a bet on the player.  1 or 2 years from now they could have a 20+ goal scorer for $1.4M.  I don’t think it means they have him penciled into the top 6 or anything.

Does anyone know if this is a 2 way deal?

I don't think it necessarily means that either, but I can't rule it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

It’s funny, you mention Smith and Oglivie and you are told they didn’t show enough in the AHL. You mention Tage and you are told his tearing up the AHL doesn’t mean anything.

Agree it's a funny contrast, but in this case I'd argue Tage's AHL doesn't mean very much because the sample size was so so small. He's played a total of 24 AHL games in 2 years. That's almost nothing to go on. 

Especially when we know hot starts are a thing, particularly when we know opposing teams will adjust their strategies for known quantities. Casey had 5 points in 6 games in the NATIONAL league, when he first started. Tage's two seasons are 8 and 16 games. I'm not banking on that yet. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree it's a funny contrast, but in this case I'd argue Tage's AHL doesn't mean very much because the sample size was so so small. He's played a total of 24 AHL games in 2 years. That's almost nothing to go on. 

Especially when we know hot starts are a thing, particularly when we know opposing teams will adjust their strategies for known quantities. Casey had 5 points in 6 games in the NATIONAL league, when he first started. Tage's two seasons are 8 and 16 games. I'm not banking on that yet. 

If we had drafted Thompson people would be excited about his prospects. Because he was part of the worst trade in Sabre’s history, and the Sabre’s have been bad for so long, people are skeptical and with good reason. I am glad that while the team isn’t counting on it, they know they may have something special.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three years? That third season of the bridge is pretty significant. I kinda like it. He's getting bottom six salary and that could turn into a huge positive if he stays healthy and achieves his 2-3W potential. It also means he's easily moved if another GM loves him, or sacrificed to Seattle if this year is another wash. Nice no-strings-attached deal.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If we had drafted Thompson people would be excited about his prospects. Because he was part of the worst trade in Sabre’s history, and the Sabre’s have been bad for so long, people are skeptical and with good reason. I am glad that while the team isn’t counting on it, they know they may have something special.

Agree, but people should be skeptical regardless. 

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That has the potential to be one of the best contracts the Sabres have signed in years.

I had the same thought. I hope he can slide into a competent 2/3 liner who can put up double digit goals.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Tage. I came here thinking the salary could be a little high based on his production to date but could become a bargain should he begin to reach his potential by year 3. Reading through has confirmed my initial reaction. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Curt said:

My initial reaction is that it’s too much and Tage hasn’t proven squat.

But.........it is 3 years.  It’s a bet on the player.  1 or 2 years from now they could have a 20+ goal scorer for $1.4M.  I don’t think it means they have him penciled into the top 6 or anything.

Does anyone know if this is a 2 way deal?

Does not appear to be. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.24bf22593310f005df31c192d4b35b26.JPG

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Traded within the next 6 months, book it. 

Gotta make him captain first  😛

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

Does not appear to be. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.24bf22593310f005df31c192d4b35b26.JPG

 

So he'll be w/the big club almost for sure. In light of what we've heard about cutting costs, I doubt they'd want to pay him even that to play in Roch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Skinner-Staal-Thompson the thinking then? 

If Thompson can pull up his end, that could be a dynamic line.  Can you imagine Skins getting other the other teams' skin and Thompson bowling them over when he comes to his rescue?

Edited by Doohickie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thompson was always going to start the season with the Sabres because of waivers.

I'm sure the lack of 2-way was what the Sabres gave up to gin the third year at that cheap rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...