So #8

spndnchz

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

There is a chance Buffalo gets Rossi. This is my choice after the first 3 of Lafreniere, Byfield and Stutzle.

Someone taking Askarov and or Sanderson early would certainly help.

I am not opposed to moving down to the teens to get extra assets and maybe Jarvis.

The more I've read, the more I think I will be surprised if Sanderson doesn't go top 8.

There are teams that absolutely love him, and it sounds like some of them are picking high.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The more I've read, the more I think I will be surprised if Sanderson doesn't go top 8.

There are teams that absolutely love him, and it sounds like some of them are picking high.

Sanderson to NJD makes so much sense it hurts. I just can envision a scenario where Rossi is there and Buffalo takes someone else... which would be a mistake. 

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

I agree that will be his bias, but which highly-rated guys don't fit that?

@sabresparaavida's info would seem to suggest there are multiple guys ranked between 5-10 that he doesn't like.

Also suggests that we shouldn't be surprised if he "reaches" for Jarvis.

Going off this theoretical idea of what Adams wants:

I don’t know if any of the projected top-10 type picks have shown themselves to have work ethic issues, however, I do think certain guys stand out for their on ice work ethic/edge.

Lafrenière, Rossi, Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis are the Forwards I would highlight as excelling in these areas.

• Like (+1) 1

I mentioned in the Lazar thread how much Lundell's scouting reports remind me of Lazar's from back in the day.

He strikes me as a player I would like a lot as an unheralded bottom -sixer but one who might be very disappointing as a top-10 pick.

I don't see him as a top 10 player in this draft in terms of raw skill. And given the lack of raw skill in our organization, it seems very risky to be squandering a top 10 pick on a guy with questions about his talent level.

I am very concerned we will be looking back on this draft five years from now and he will be the Pavel Zacha.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I mentioned in the Lazar thread how much Lundell's scouting reports remind me of Lazar's from back in the day.

He strikes me as a player I would like a lot as an unheralded bottom -sixer but one who might be very disappointing as a top-10 pick.

I don't see him as a top 10 player in this draft in terms of raw skill. And given the lack of raw skill in our organization, it seems very risky to be squandering a top 10 pick on a guy with questions about his talent level.

I am very concerned we will be looking back on this draft five years from now and he will be the Pavel Zacha.

I think this is why scouts do a poor job of drafting. Lundell is like Lazar, but he's also like Anze Kopitar. What matters is does Lundell score like Lazar, or does he score like Kopitar? I have Lundell at 68 for the decade, which is terrific for this type of player. I have Kopitar at 144th (if he was within the decade) and Lazar at 294 for the decade. Zacha is at 353.

In the end, I think he's going to be a great 2nd line player, but he's about 7th or 8th on my board only because I expect Rossi, Jarvis, and Perfetti to score a lot more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, rakish said:

I think this is why scouts do a poor job of drafting. Lundell is like Lazar, but he's also like Anze Kopitar. What matters is does Lundell score like Lazar, or does he score like Kopitar? I have Lundell at 68 for the decade, which is terrific for this type of player. I have Kopitar at 144th (if he was within the decade) and Lazar at 294 for the decade. Zacha is at 353.

In the end, I think he's going to be a great 2nd line player, but he's about 7th or 8th on my board only because I expect Rossi, Jarvis, and Perfetti to score a lot more.

This is great stuff. Thank you.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think in situations like this, the player makeup and hockey IQ really comes into play.

I do think that Lundell has a little less playmaking skill and skating than some others guys.

The question is, will his hockey IQ be good enough that he will be able to keep making all the right decisions as the game speeds up around him?  Will he have to work ethic to improve that skating?

If the answers are no, you end up with a Lazar or Zacha.  If yes, you end up with a O’Reilly or Kopitar.  In my opinion, drafting Lundell is betting on his hockey IQ and work ethic.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Rossi is the only one of these candidates who inspires me at all.

I think if Raymond was playing in the CHL, he would lit it up while playing a good 200 ft game and producing a cool highlight reel.

He would have been able to show more impressive skill against 16-20 year olds instead of the 30 yr old men he played against.  And of course, produced more inspiration.

Edited by Curt

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sanderson to NJD makes so much sense it hurts. I just can envision a scenario where Rossi is there and Buffalo takes someone else... which would be a mistake. 

Is Sanderson ranked above Drysdale at this point, by consensus? 

5 hours ago, rakish said:

Good job summing up why I want Lundell, particularly when we factor in Perfetti has a much better shot ending up a winger. I'd take Rossi first and agree @Eleven that he's the one who inspires, but Lundell for me is probably next. Would just be a great fit for us. 

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think in situations like this, the player makeup and hockey IQ really comes into play.

I do think that Lundell has a little less playmaking skill and skating than some others guys.

The question is, will his hockey IQ be good enough that he will be able to keep making all the right decisions as the game speeds up around him?  Will he have to work ethic to improve that skating?

If the answers are no, you end up with a Lazar or Zacha.  If yes, you end up with a O’Reilly or Kopitar.  In my opinion, drafting Lundell is betting on his hockey IQ and work ethic.

Everything I've read on Lundell is he's a pretty good passer. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Being a very young 19-year old as the #1 C and top scorer on a Liiga team is very uncommon, especially for a player that's not supposed to have any upside.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Is Sanderson ranked above Drysdale at this point, by consensus?

I don't think so.

It seems like everyone thinks Drysdale is somewhere between 3-10 and most of them 4-8.

But there is less of a consensus on Sanderson. Some scouts see him in the teens, others top 5 and the best defenceman in the draft.

In other news for all of us Rossi watchers, Brian Burke had his top six in the intermission tonight:

Laf, Byfield, Stuetzle, Perfetti, Sanderson/Drysdale (tie) and Askarov.

He said there is not a drop-off after that and mentioned Raymond as the next guy in line.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

Being a very young 19-year old as the #1 C and top scorer on a Liiga team is very uncommon, especially for a player that's not supposed to have any upside.

Lundell you are talking about?  He was 18, really 17 most of the season.  Was he the #1 C on his team?  He sure wasn’t the top scorer.  More like the 7th leading scorer.

Edited by Curt

35 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t get your meaning.  Will Lundell end up a better passer than those more dynamic passers that I listed?

Yep. Drafting isn’t about who is the best now. It’s about who will be the best in 3-5 (2-4?) years. Or at least it should be.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yep. Drafting isn’t about who is the best now. It’s about who will be the best in 3-5 (2-4?) years. Or at least it should be.

Thats really the question with Lundell. It is also a question I have heard about Rossi as well. These are two players that have a really well refined game so can they up their skills in the next 3 years to truly be top line talent? Rossi has to do with his size being a question for some scouts and Lundell it has to do with his skating and overall skill. 

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Yzerman is no dummy, he’s interviewed Rossi 3 times according to this report. I hope they take Perfetti, he’s interviewed with the Wings numerous times as well.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-emptying-top-prospects-notebook/

Quinn to the Devils makes a lot of sense. Sanderson also interviewing with the Devils makes a lot of sense. Going to be a really interesting draft for sure. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.