So #8

spndnchz

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Yzerman is no dummy, he’s interviewed Rossi 3 times according to this report. I hope they take Perfetti, he’s interviewed with the Wings numerous times as well.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2020-nhl-draft-emptying-top-prospects-notebook/

This Perfetti quote will get war rooms talking:

“A lot of coaches are still stuck in their olden days. They’re kind of chip pucks in and crash and bang, play hard, stuff like that and you gotta play the structure to a T..If I was under a head coach where I had to dump the puck in every time I go out over the red line and get on the forecheck, it would be frustrating and I wouldn’t be able to express how I really am as a player.”

On 9/26/2020 at 10:40 AM, Curt said:

Going off this theoretical idea of what Adams wants:

I don’t know if any of the projected top-10 type picks have shown themselves to have work ethic issues, however, I do think certain guys stand out for their on ice work ethic/edge.

Lafrenière, Rossi, Raymond, Lundell, Jarvis are the Forwards I would highlight as excelling in these areas.

At number 8 I’d have to say looking for work ethic and grit would probably not be at the top of my list. Does Braydon Pointe play with edge? I’d expect any player you pick at that point in the dr@ft had better have a work ethic. I’d be focused more on talent there. 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

At number 8 I’d have to say looking for work ethic and grit would probably not be at the top of my list. Does Braydon Pointe play with edge? I’d expect any player you pick at that point in the dr@ft had better have a work ethic. I’d be focused more on talent there. 

Calling Casey Mittelstadt to the nearest phone....Casey Mittelstadt, please.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Yeah, any guy taken in top had better have work ethic, but I bet not all of them do have a great one.  I would argue that work ethic, attitude and competitiveness are skills.

What’s the relevance of Brayden Point?  He does play with an edge, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, any guy taken in top had better have work ethic, but I bet not all of them do have a great one.  I would argue that work ethic, attitude and competitiveness are skills.

What’s the relevance of Brayden Point?  He does play with an edge, IMO.

Come on, hockey skills, not how hard they work personally. Point plays with an edge? He plays hard, but I don’t think he can be called edgy. 

12 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Come on, hockey skills, not how hard they work personally. Point plays with an edge? He plays hard, but I don’t think he can be called edgy. 

Things like work ethic and attitude are really important.  A guy who isn’t willing to work as hard, off ice or on, is probably not going to improve or maximize his other skills as much as a harder working guy.

Its really important and it’s why teams interview these players and scout their background, in addition to watching them play.

Whats playing with an edge then?  Point plays hard and works in all 3 zones, in the corners, in front of the net.  He isn’t afraid to go to the tough areas.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Things like work ethic and attitude are really important.  A guy who isn’t willing to work as hard, off ice or on, is probably not going to improve or maximize his other skills as much as a harder working guy.

Its really important and it’s why teams interview these players and scout their background, in addition to watching them play.

Whats playing with an edge then?  Point plays hard and works in all 3 zones, in the corners, in front of the net.  He isn’t afraid to go to the tough areas.

Hard work isn’t a skill. Lol 

14 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Hard work isn’t a skill. Lol 

Hard work is definitely a talent. I'm not going to get entangled into a verbal gymnastic argument about calling it a "skill", "talent" or an "attribute". Being able to consistently maintain that maximum level of effort is not an ability that a lot of players, even gifted players, can do. The essential ingredient that makes for a great hockey player is not the elite talent so much as attaching that exceptional talent to maximum consistent effort. And on the flip side there are a lot of average talented hockey players who have carved out successful long careers because of their ability to always play at full throttle level. Again, hard work is a skill/talent.  

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Hard work is definitely a talent. I'm not going to get entangled into a verbal gymnastic argument about calling it a "skill", "talent" or an "attribute". Being able to consistently maintain that maximum level of effort is not an ability that a lot of players, even gifted players, can do. The essential ingredient that makes for a great hockey player is not the elite talent so much as attaching that exceptional talent to maximum consistent effort. And on the flip side there are a lot of average talented hockey players who have carved out successful long careers because of their ability to always play at full throttle level. Again, hard work is a skill/talent.  

Sure, and a lot of people work their butts off for nothing because they have no skills. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Disagree. Fully disagree. 

Me to, with you 

19 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Idk. Brain surgery and open heart surgery seem like hard work, and I’d say it takes skill to do both successfully. 
🤷‍♂️

Brain surgery? Can you imagine a doctor telling you he is going to operate on you but he isn’t very knowledgeable in medicine, but he works really hard, so it’s ok. 

And he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night 

My point of view on Sabres picking at #8:

Im going to assume, safely I think, that Lafrenière, Byfield and Stutzle are gone at 8.

If you get to 8 and Rossi-C or Raymond-RW/LW are on the board, just run up and pick them.  I don’t question anything about them as players.

If those 5 are gone, it gets murkier for me.  My top candidates at forward would be Perfetti, Lundell, and Jarvis.

Perfetti, LW/C- highly skilled dynamic offensive player, great goal scorer and passer, great dangler and decision maker with the puck, fairly strong on his skates but on the slow side, Steve Kournianous described him as “a gentlemanly player”, I’m not certain how willing he is to really engage in the more grinding aspects of hockey

Lundell, C- quintessential 200 ft C, smart responsible player in all 3 zones, considered a leader wearing an A this season as an 18yr old for his men’s league team, good passer with a great shot but does not flash as much dynamic high end puck skills as you might want to see from a top-10 pick, skating stride could improve a bit.

Jarvis, RW/C- excellent goal scorer, creative playmaker and good decision maker with the puck, great skater who plays fast with the puck on his stick and with a lot of intensity in all 3 zones, but a little on the weak/slight side right now, made a big jump up this season and doesn’t have the years of sustained excellence that you usually see from top prospects.

These are the guys I would target at #8.  Other options that are reasonable but I don’t favor for Buffalo are Holtz RW, Drysdale RD, Sanderson LD, and dark horse top 10 option Rodion Amirov RW, I like him a lot.

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Brain surgery? Can you imagine a doctor telling you he is going to operate on you but he isn’t very knowledgeable in medicine, but he works really hard, so it’s ok. 

And he stayed at a Holiday Inn last night 

That’s sort of like trying to imagine one of the top nations in the world choosing a leader that has zero experience in politics, but says they will work hard to change things, so it’s okay. 

And they’re addicted to Twitter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.