Brawndo

Sabres Announce GM Jason Botterill has been Fired. Kevyn Adams Named GM

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they're going to do that why the hell wait? BB and Lavy and Gallant? Maybe not, are available. Let's wait for 2 years for a pool like the one that gave us Housley, and miss the boat on demonstrably good coaches (sandwiching Trotz with Housley and Krueger) once again. 

It might not be up to them. It could be up to Krueger, he might want to reevaluate after a few more years 

29 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really think RaKru is that now, just not in offical titles and such.  I do think that he is running the hockey operations in Sabreland.

I don’t think Ralph will be handed any players, or be losing any players, that he hasn’t signed off on.

I also think coach and GM will be on the same page to a greater extent than any regime we’ve seen here since Darcy and Lindy were in their prime, which can only be a good thing.

I am no longer worried we will be re-signing Jimmy Vesey or Wayne Simmonds for real money, or trading assets for Kyle Turris.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

After the Shannon Radio Interview, Chris Parker mentioned he spoke with a friend who meets with Terry Pegula on a regular basis and that the general feeling is that Ralph will be POHO. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

Well, the good news is that TP has had a year to get to know RK, plus however much time it takes to make RK the POHO, so if it happens, at least it won't be a knee-jerk decision.

4 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So no one heard this or has a comment? If this is true, why wait two years? Do it now.

That wouldn’t exactly be surprised by that either, except that Pegula just said that they aren’t considering hiring a PoH, and “don’t believe in that model”

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

After the Shannon Radio Interview, Chris Parker mentioned he spoke with a friend who meets with Terry Pegula on a regular basis and that the general feeling is that Ralph will be POHO. 

I hope this is true.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

If they're going to do that why the hell wait? BB and Lavy and Gallant? Maybe not, are available. Let's wait for 2 years for a pool like the one that gave us Housley, and miss the boat on demonstrably good coaches (sandwiching Trotz with Housley and Krueger) once again. 

If Krueger is a coach/president/whatever who is here to have the team culture do a 180, then I doubt he would then turn around and grab some “name coach” from the outside to continue his work. That coach would likely want to come in and install his culture. The only way this works is for them is for Krueger to start grooming his replacement now, or at least hire someone from the outside who he trusts and respects (likely from past work together). Unfortunately, they have fired everyone, but these weren’t Krueger hires. 

On 6/22/2020 at 11:01 AM, dudacek said:

The “insiders” are tied to the league heirarchy, and the stuff you are hearing from the Lebrun’s of the world is definitely a reflection of the water cooler talk in the corridors of power.

The Pegulas have definitely put themselves on a bit of an Island and are creating an us-against-the-world mentality.

Which most Buffalo people wouldn’t actually mind if it wasn’t the Pegulas.

Care to elaborate? Or are you simply referring to their established poor performance..

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Is there a timeframe? Or is it an "eventually, when he's done behind the bench" type thing..

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

If Krueger is a coach/president/whatever who is here to have the team culture do a 180, then I doubt he would then turn around and grab some “name coach” from the outside to continue his work. That coach would likely want to come in and install his culture. The only way this works is for them is for Krueger to start grooming his replacement now, or at least hire someone from the outside who he trusts and respects (likely from past work together). Unfortunately, they have fired everyone, but these weren’t Krueger hires. 

The head coach in Winnipeg, whose name escapes, me would be the 1st person I'd think of due to their work together on the Team Europe staff.

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Care to elaborate? Or are you simply referring to their established poor performance..

Buffalo, like most towns, love to grab and us-against-the-world wave. But with people like Ted Nolan or Lindy Ruff.

Too many of them think of the Pegulas like Mr. Burns to passionately support them on anything, even against Gary Bettman.

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The head coach in Winnipeg, whose name escapes, me would be the 1st person I'd think of due to their work together on the Team Europe staff.

Paul Maurice, those two got along great and he still talks about the experience.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Paul Maurice, those two got along great and he still talks about the experience.

I'd almost put money on it, if Maurice were to get fired by WPG; Krueger would immediately bring him on as Associate Coach, work him into the team dynamic then bequeath HC to Maurice and become PoHO

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I'd almost put money on it, if Maurice were to get fired by WPG; Krueger would immediately bring him on as Associate Coach, work him into the team dynamic then bequeath HC to Maurice and become PoHO

I’m in on Maurice, lots of experience.

He’s pretty honest during interviews and I always make time to listen to him speak.

51 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Lol Paul Maurice just moved into my wife's best friend's cabin. After they sold it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Freddie in tight and small sexy shorts and not much else ... oh, my!!  Rockin' and Habs hat in Montreal.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:57 PM, IKnowPhysics said:

Pretend you "do this kind of work for a living" for the Sabres.  Your hockey team is losing.  You're aware the GM and hockey department are under scrutiny from the fans.  You're aware that they are undergoing review by the ownership, but it is not yet complete.  The Associated Press asks the ownership very directly if the GM is returning next year.  Any response: positive, negative, and even a non-response will be published as a response.

What do you tell the owner to say?

@john wawrow : What would you expect an owner to say?

neat theory.

it's wrong. but it's a neat one, nonetheless.

jw

note: you could've asked me politely, as i'm right here. but since you didn't, i see no need to reveal why you're wrong, just that you are.

On 6/21/2020 at 11:41 AM, nfreeman said:

@john wawrow -- Just wondering if you have any info on this?

it's been difficult to pin this one down, and a reason why i've had difficulty laying all the blame on Botterill for the trade.

though i don't know for certain whether pressure came from above, i do know JB was under a lot of pressure to complete the trade before O'Reilly's bonus kicked in first thing next morning.

at this point, it's going to be difficult to prove one way or another, because people will now have agendas to say one thing or another.

that said, i'd say it's a 50-50 one way or the other.

jw

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

neat theory.

jw

note: you could've asked me politely, as i'm right here. but since you didn't, i see no need to reveal why you're wrong, just that you are.

I will now take the opportunity to ask the esteemed hirsute reporter if you believe  Botterill would have been retained if he was more receptive to the restructuring (thinning out) of the hockey operation? Or another way of saying it is when you are not receptive to the boss's suggestion/request you are looked at less favorably by your superiors and put in a very precarious position.

2 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

it's been difficult to pin this one down, and a reason why i've had difficulty laying all the blame on Botterill for the trade.

though i don't know for certain whether pressure came from above, i do know JB was under a lot of pressure to complete the trade before O'Reilly's bonus kicked in first thing next morning.

at this point, it's going to be difficult to prove one way or another, because people will now have agendas to say one thing or another.

jw

I guess that, I'll just drill another well" comment is haunting the Pegulas now.

5 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

It's obvious that this trade was a disaster and has had a lingering damaging effect on the team. For the sake of argument if it were Terry P who forced the trade to be made prior to the bonus being paid it put the GM in a difficult position because he couldn't publicly state that it was the owner who created this boondoggle. I suspect now that Botterill is no longer associated with the team that it will come out who was responsible for this ridiculously unbalanced deal. 

20 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

neat theory.

jw

Apologies.  The bulk of that question was really for the other poster, and wasn't intended to admonish your efforts.  I tagged you to gather your opinion about how you might expect an official source to answer a question they don't want to answer, be it during the middle of an internal confidential personnel decision process or a potential "no truthful answer will make for good PR" situation.  This isn't criticism of the the act of asking the question or the question itself; hard questions are paramount to journalism.

1 hour ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Apologies.  The bulk of that question was really for the other poster, and wasn't intended to admonish your efforts.  I tagged you to gather your opinion about how you might expect an official source to answer a question they don't want to answer, be it during the middle of an internal confidential personnel decision process or a potential "no truthful answer will make for good PR" situation.  This isn't criticism of the the act of asking the question or the question itself; hard questions are paramount to journalism.

The answer regarding Botterill being retained is something I was aware was coming weeks in advance.

jw

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/6/2020 at 2:05 PM, john wawrow said:

jw

My original guess as to the driving force of the trade itself put in at 90% ownership & 10% GM with the deadline being 100% on ownership.

Am now giving more weight to the reports that Botterill felt it would be "easier to tear down to the studs" if the Sabres won the Dahlin lottery as moving it to 40% ownership & 60% GM.  (And the deadline for the deal still has to be 100% ownership.)

Never gave credence to O'Reilly being pouty face in interviews as souring the owners on him but did think that the Timmy Ho's incident combined with his brother hazing Murray's non top 2 #1 draft pick as leading them to believe that they could finish in last place without those headaches just as easily & if the GM told him he could get a great haul for him if he had to trade him led them to say 'make it happen #2.'  Have definitely shifted my guess in the past couple of months.

Thanks for the input.