2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, Taro T said:

Pretty sure there isn't a person with a rooting or personal interest in the Sabres (other than Hutton & his immediate family) that want him to be pencilled in at 1 or 2 on the depth chart.

But many here expect him gone.  Not convinced that sentiment is correct as could see several scenarios where he is the 3.

These are the goalies signed or acquired so far; Greiss, Talbot, Lundqvist, Crawford, Subban, MSmith, Murray, Allen, Dudnyk, and Holtby.  Besides Fleury is there anyone left who is available in trade or free agency who is an upgrade for Hutton?

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Linus Ullmark - .915sv%

I added their last season save percentages. 3 of those goalies would not have been upgrades. 1 of them got a 6 year deal so hell no. Khudobin is interesting and I could agree he might have been someone to target but maybe he didn't want to come or be in a rotation with Ullmark. That leaves Murray who either had a down year last year or we should avoid like the plague. At the end of the day that leaves 2 options that we would want and Matt Murray is removed since he was traded for and clearly signing with that team so you are mad we didn't get Khudobin. 

Isn't it more about upgrading Hutton? How do his numbers look?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

These are the goalies signed or acquired so far; Greiss, Talbot, Lundqvist, Crawford, Subban, MSmith, Murray, Allen, Dudnyk, and Holtby.  Besides Fleury is there anyone left who is available in trade or free agency who is an upgrade for Hutton?

C-bus & Arizona are said to be shopping tenders as well.  Any of those 3 teams could be the source of an upgrade to Hutton that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

2 hours ago, Radar said:

I agree. There are more than just us. Also our proximity to Toronto can help in some cases. $$$ definitely. But is Terry backing away from big spending? Guess we're going to know more over next week.

Terry P is certainly backing away form big spending just like most of the other owners. There is no secret about the Sabres's internal cap. It has been widely reported. I don't know exactly what it is but it is less than the designated league cap. 

33 minutes ago, Taro T said:

C-bus & Arizona are said to be shopping tenders as well.  Any of those 3 teams could be the source of an upgrade to Hutton that doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

Fleury is the only one who wont cost an arm and a leg to acquire because Vegas wants to get rid of his contract, but he will cost an arm and a leg financially because of his salary

Columbus and Arizona goalies will cost an arm and a leg to acquire (but not financially) because those teams are only looking to move a young goalie because they want to cash in and sell high on those assets. The won't move them if they don't get what they are asking for them.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Fleury is the only one who wont cost an arm and a leg to acquire because Vegas wants to get rid of his contract, but he will cost an arm and a leg financially because of his salary

Columbus and Arizona goalies will cost an arm and a leg to acquire (but not financially) because those teams are only looking to move a young goalie because they want to cash in and sell high on those assets. The won't move them if they don't get what they are asking for them.

Cbus is selling a goalie because they want to cash in on an asset before exposing it for free in the expansion draft. It's not clear whether they have been offloding cash in order to make a big signing, or because of an internal cap. They also have to re-sign Dubois. The amount of immediate pressure they are under is uncertain.

But Arizona is selling cheap because they have to dump salary, period. They are at the cap and the rumour is they have to shed 10-15 million.

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The KA plan so far

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

VO Staal Cozens

Thompson Eakin KO

Girgensons Lazar Rieder

Feel better?

Welcome to the lottery 2021. I’m glad we didn’t trade our 2021 first round pick. Adams may be worse than Botteril and I didn’t think that was possible. 

5 minutes ago, freester said:

Welcome to the lottery 2021. I’m glad we didn’t trade our 2021 first round pick. Adams may be worse than Botteril and I didn’t think that was possible. 

Even more good news.  With the RFAs still to sign and  the money already spent we are at 72 million.  Feel even better now.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The KA plan so far

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

VO Staal Cozens

Thompson Eakin KO

Girgensons Lazar Rieder

Feel better?

This is accurate, as of today. 

Lots of time left, though.

Hey guys I'm not worried at all! No seriously I'm not... Ya...ya seriously. 

• Like (+1) 1

Job list:

1) Upgrade the 2C: Staal

2) Upgrade the goaltending: X

3) Add another top 6 forward: X

4) Add a 2LD: X

5) Re-sign or upgrade:

• Reinhart: X
  • Olofsson: X
  • Kahun: X
  • Vesey: (Cozens?)
  • Larsson: Eakin
  • Girgensons: Girgensons
  • Simmonds: X
  • Frolik/Sobotka: Reider
  • Lazar: Lazar
  • Tage: Tage
  • Casey: X
  • Montour: Montour
  • Bogosian: Irwin
  • Gilmour: Davidson

So far we've seen a solid upgrade with Staal, a wash with Reider, insignificant downgrades in Irwin and Davidson, and a significant downgrade in Eakin. We probably overpaid $1 million for Eakin and Girgensons.

And we have a whole lot more work to do.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Terry P is certainly backing away form big spending just like most of the other owners. There is no secret about the Sabres's internal cap. It has been widely reported. I don't know exactly what it is but it is less than the designated league cap. 

I’m not saying that it doesn’t exist, but you show me where it is openly acknowledge by anyone who would know, or where it is widely reported by multiple different sources.  As far as I know it was just a vague statement written by one guy.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I’m not saying that it doesn’t exist, but you show me where it is openly acknowledge by anyone who would know, or where it is widely reported by multiple different sources.  As far as I know it was just a vague statement written by one guy.

My impression from what I’ve seen and heard is that Terry will pay for a significant upgrade if the the opportunity is there, but he doesn’t want us going up to the cap just because we can.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My impression from what I’ve seen and heard is that Terry will pay for a significant upgrade if the the opportunity is there, but he doesn’t want us going up to the cap just because we can.

They’re 100% one of the teams trying to woo Pietrangelo, but I doubt they get it done. Same story with Toffoli, and they lost on Fast.

For the 600th year in a row, they needed to trade the right guys to make something happen (Risto), and so far, I’m expecting us to get sold that Cody Eakin and his finals experience is what this teams been missing.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.