2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My impression from what I’ve seen and heard is that Terry will pay for a significant upgrade if the the opportunity is there, but he doesn’t want us going up to the cap just because we can.

Weather you spend money in a lump sum or spread out, it still depends on what it is. Right now they're spending pennies on *****, if they spend millions it will just be on ***** that's harder to get rid of later 

When STL won the Cup, they added ROR and Bozak to become their 2 and 3 C.  We add 36 year old Staal and Eakin.  Enough said.  

What is really scary about KA's work so far is that our 4th line from last year is now our 3rd line and the 4th line is scraps, leftovers and unknown.

Girgensons Eakin KO is now the 3rd line

Thompson Lazar Rieder is now the 4th line.

I can't see how anyone would call this a step forward.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

When STL won the Cup, they added ROR and Bozak to become their 2 and 3 C.  We add 36 year old Staal and Eakin.  Enough said.  

Please.. please, let that be true.

Because I am sure that Cup success lies heavily on a hot goaltender more than anything. He wasn't so hot this year and Bozak and ROR were golfing with the rest of the league.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is really scary about KA's work so far is that our 4th line from last year is now our 3rd line and the 4th line is scraps, leftovers and unknown.

Girgensons Eakin KO is now the 3rd line

Thompson Lazar Rieder is now the 4th line.

I can't see how anyone would call this a step forward.

Lasts years 4th line was last years 3rd/2nd line.

What the heck was last years 3rd lone?  A big pile of trash, not something to complain about losing.

20 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lasts years 4th line was last years 3rd/2nd line.

What the heck was last years 3rd lone?  A big pile of trash, not something to complain about losing.

The problem is that the goal of this off-season was to fix the middle six, not promote the good 4th line to become an overmatched 3rd line. 

Installing Staal as the 2C was a great first step (albeit a temporary one), but then to fail to bring in anyone who can score and hope the improved scoring all comes from kids Thompson and Cozens isn't a recipe for success.  I believe both should be on the team next year but in their correct roles.  Forcing Cozens in the lineup as an 2RW has mistake written all over it and we only have Thompson, KO and Rieder to sub in if that experiment fails.  Also with Rieder and KO as the 3RW and 4 RW, Thompson is likely being pushed to his off wing.  That also has mistake written all over it.

My preference would have been to retain Kahun (who can play anywhere) go find a real 2 RW.  Build a youth 3rd line that can be sheltered but gain experience (like we did with Vanek Roy and Max) and use our doiminate 4th line to help stop the other teams best lines when possible

My lineup

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

VO Staal Toffoli (one can dream)

Kahun Cozens Thompson

Girgensons Eakin KO

Admittedly this can still happen, but it's highly unlikely at this point.  Rieder was brought in to kill penalties and is making this lineup.  Kahun is almost certainly gone and taking his 40 pt potential with him (hard to believe we let a nice German boy go) and no way Toffoli signs here.  My best hope for filling the 2 RW is that we somehow work a deal to get Palat or Johnson from TB.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 hours ago, Curt said:

I’m not saying that it doesn’t exist, but you show me where it is openly acknowledge by anyone who would know, or where it is widely reported by multiple different sources.  As far as I know it was just a vague statement written by one guy.

The Sabres went to the former GM and told him that he had to radically cut the staff. He would not agree to it. He was subsequently fired. Immediately afterward the staff and associated operating costs were dramatically cut. The coaching staff was asked to take a pay cut. They did. They then were asked to take another cut. They said no. What I am attempting to demonstrate is that there is an actual tough response to cutting expenses that include spending on players. What is going on in Buffalo with the internal cap is going on elsewhere in the league due to the loss of revenue for the league in general. It has been reported that Arizona may have an internal cap of less than $70 M. Business is not being done as usual because of the dramatic loss of revenue in this virus era. 

I'm very confident that the Sabres will not be spending up to the designated league cap. Although it is not openly acknowledged (as you put it) by the organization it is widely reported by people who follow the team. What's going on here is going on in many places. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/report-sabres-could-face-an-internal-salary-cap/ar-BB18W0Qt

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/09/sabres-coaches-declined-pay-cut-team-considering-internal-salary-cap.html

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Sabres went to the former GM and told him that he had to radically cut the staff. He would not agree to it. He was subsequently fired. Immediately afterward the staff and associated operating costs were dramatically cut. The coaching staff was asked to take a pay cut. They did. They then were asked to take another cut. They said no. What I am attempting to demonstrate is that there is an actual tough response to cutting expenses that include spending on players. What is going on in Buffalo with the internal cap is going on elsewhere in the league due to the loss of revenue for the league in general. It has been reported that Arizona may have an internal cap of less than $70 M. Business is not being done as usual because of the dramatic loss of revenue in this virus era. 

I'm very confident that the Sabres will not be spending up to the designated league cap. Although it is not openly acknowledged (as you put it) by the organization it is widely reported by people who follow the team. What's going on here is going on in many places. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/report-sabres-could-face-an-internal-salary-cap/ar-BB18W0Qt

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2020/09/sabres-coaches-declined-pay-cut-team-considering-internal-salary-cap.html

You demonstrated my point exactly.

Yes, I agree, it seems extremely likely that Buffalo will not be spending to the cap.  However, actually reporting of this and the often referred to “low 70s” number, from a claimed source, all comes from one place.  

Frank Seravalli wrote this one time:

“Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range...”

And since then every outlet has rewritten this same quote over and over.  It’s not coming from independent sources.  It’s just something that someone said one time.

Both of your linked stories directly reference this same statement that Seravalli wrote.  If one person writes a story that states something, then 50 other people write stories that say the same thing, but all source the first guy who said it, how does that make it widely reported???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The problem is that the goal of this off-season was to fix the middle six, not promote the good 4th line to become an overmatched 3rd line. 

Installing Staal as the 2C was a great first step (albeit a temporary one), but then to fail to bring in anyone who can score and hope the improved scoring all comes from kids Thompson and Cozens isn't a recipe for success.  I believe both should be on the team next year but in their correct roles.  Forcing Cozens in the lineup as an 2RW has mistake written all over it and we only have Thompson, KO and Rieder to sub in if that experiment fails.  Also with Rieder and KO as the 3RW and 4 RW, Thompson is likely being pushed to his off wing.  That also has mistake written all over it.

My preference would have been to retain Kahun (who can play anywhere) go find a real 2 RW.  Build a youth 3rd line that can be sheltered but gain experience (like we did with Vanek Roy and Max) and use our doiminate 4th line to help stop the other teams best lines when possible

My lineup

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

VO Staal Toffoli (one can dream)

Kahun Cozens Thompson

Girgensons Eakin KO

Admittedly this can still happen, but it's highly unlikely at this point.  Rieder was brought in to kill penalties and is making this lineup.  Kahun is almost certainly gone and taking his 40 pt potential with him (hard to believe we let a nice German boy go) and no way Toffoli signs here.  My best hope for filling the 2 RW is that we somehow work a deal to get Palat or Johnson from TB.

I agree for the most part.  I’m just saying that the “4th line” from last season wasn’t actually the 4th like.  The 3rd line was non existent.

The Sabres definitely have improvements still to make before I am near satisfied with the progress.  They haven’t done anything, apart from the Staal trade, that improves the team over last season.

Just now, Curt said:

I agree for the most part.  I’m just saying that the “4th line” from last season wasn’t actually the 4th like.  The 3rd line was non existent.

The Sabres definitely have improvements still to make before I am near satisfied with the progress.  They haven’t done anything, apart from the Staal trade, that improves the team over last season.

The Staal trade was encouraging, everything after has been mediocre. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So far yes, unless they are actually playing it smart, being patient and getting into any crippling contracts. I think most would agree that they overpaid for Girgs buy it’s not like it’s this huge albatross either. I think we will know more once the big five or six players sign.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

You demonstrated my point exactly.

Yes, I agree, it seems extremely likely that Buffalo will not be spending to the cap. However, actually reporting of this and the often referred to “low 70s” number, from a claimed source, all comes from one place.  

Frank Seravalli wrote this one time:

“Sources say the Sabres are considering an internal salary cap in the low $70 million range...”

And since then every outlet has rewritten this same quote over and over.  It’s not coming from independent sources.  It’s just something that someone said one time.

Both of your linked stories directly reference this same statement that Seravalli wrote.  If one person writes a story that states something, then 50 other people write stories that say the same thing, but all source the first guy who said it, how does that make it widely reported???

With respect to the highlighted segment you and I are in accord. That was my point.

Is there an official statement that the owners are going to institute a hard cap that is smaller than the league designated cap? No, for the simple reason that the owners are not willing to make a declarative statement on the internal cap other than being clear that business is not going to be conducted as it has in the past. Then what followed? The scouting department and associated costs were dramatically cut and staff in general have been let go. These were not inconsequential changes! Most often what is most telling is not what is said but what is done. Based on what has been done post Botterill with respect to cutting costs it isn't a grand leap to draw a conclusion. I acknowledge that there isn't an official statement coming from the organization. But that doesn't mean that you can't make obvious judgments based on the actions after the Botterill departure. 

What I am saying is that I don't believe that the Sabres will spend up to the cap. I'm not criticizing that response because it is an understandable and a reasonable response to the substantial loss of revenue. The Sabres were losing a boatload of money in what was considered normal times. The expectation is that they will be losing more in this abnormal virus induced business climate.  So the expectation of not spending up to the cap should not be surprising for the Sabres and many other franchises. 

If there is an internal cap (and I believe there is) I don't consider it to be catastrophic from a competitive standpoint if it is handled smartly. What is the internal cap? My guess is that it will be between 72-75 M. If that is the figure it is workable. 

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

So far yes, unless they are actually playing it smart, being patient and getting into any crippling contracts. I think most would agree that they overpaid for Girgs buy it’s not like it’s this huge albatross either. I think we will know more once the big five or six players sign.

I know we don't agree on our ownership but putting that aside in hopes he just stay out of hockey decisions. I do agree in general with your assessment of the team. We are around three players away. That's if we don't have to trade creating a hole to fill another. That in all likelihood means signing one of the bigger free agents. You probably think that's more likely than I do. I think we can upgrade our goalkeeper position with a trade. That scoring winger will be costly whether through free agency or trade. I'm pessimistic that with the current financial situation Pegula wants another big contract right  now.JMHO.

Just now, Radar said:

I know we don't agree on our ownership but putting that aside in hopes he just stay out of hockey decisions. I do agree in general with your assessment of the team. We are around three players away. That's if we don't have to trade creating a hole to fill another. That in all likelihood means signing one of the bigger free agents. You probably think that's more likely than I do. I think we can upgrade our goalkeeper position with a trade. That scoring winger will be costly whether through free agency or trade. I'm pessimistic that with the current financial situation Pegula wants another big contract right  now.JMHO.

I don’t necessarily think they will sign a big free agent although I believe they think they can. However, after the dust settles, there are teams desperately trying to dump cap space. I believe, for instance, that their goalie will either be one of Arizona’s, Columbus or MAF. I also believe they gave a fall back position for a top six winger.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, tom webster said:

I don’t necessarily think they will sign a big free agent although I believe they think they can. However, after the dust settles, there are teams desperately trying to dump cap space. I believe, for instance, that their goalie will either be one of Arizona’s, Columbus or MAF. I also believe they gave a fall back position for a top six winger.

We'll see but they need a top six winger or we really have only moved chairs around.

Would you go after Toews if the price didn’t include Cozens. Supposedly Chicago’s core is rather ticked about the sudden onset rebuild. They would need to retain some salary but actual cash is rather low and he’d make a great 2C.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2018055

Here's what I came up with.

Salary wise Toews makes 2 mil this year

Edited by thewookie1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Less then mediocre.  None of those signings are moving the team forward except maybe Eakin and none of the problems with the team has been addressed.

No improvement in goal.

No additional scoring 

No fixing the over abundance of RHD.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Less then mediocre.  None of those signings are moving the team forward except maybe Eakin and none of the problems with the team has been addressed.

No improvement in goal.

No additional scoring 

No fixing the over abundance of RHD.  

Agree. I think if they can find a top six wing  along with the addition of Stall and Eakin then I'd be satisfied. Think they can find an upgrade in goal by trade. Would prefer the forward position need be found via free agency.

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

Fleury was not my number one choice but VGK probably wants to dump him and most of the teams have settled their goalie situations and do not have the cap space.
VGK is also hot and heavy for Pietrangelo, who will command big $$$.

The question becomes, what is the sweetener? Marchessault? Tuch? prospects? picks? LHD (Theodore) for Risto/Montour?
The other team still in cap hell is Tampa. We could get a top 6 forward cheaply there. I know there are many NMCs so I still hold out hope for Cirelli or Sergachev.

How can we salvage this offseason and stay within the budget? 

1) Acquire Tyler Johnson with TB keeping 2 mill of salary and cap every year and we also get a draft pick.

2) Trade Colin Miller to create the cap space for Johnson.

3) Acquire Darcy Kemper from Ariz for Hutton. They need to cut serious payroll.

4) Trade Thompson for a 2nd rd pick

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Right back to the drawing board.

Hall Eichel Olofsson //elite

Skinner Staal Reinhart //beautiful

Cozens Eakin Thompson /I'm a little scared here

Girgensons Lazar Okposo //ehhh...I'll live.

I'd still like a 3C, but Eakin makes me think that won't be a thing.

The defense needs a trade. Montour or Risto. Pick one, and punt.

Hutton + for a better goalie.

End this ***** playoff drought.

Edited by Gabrielor

On 10/10/2020 at 2:04 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

The KA plan so far

Skinner Eichel Reinhart

VO Staal Cozens

Thompson Eakin KO

Girgensons Lazar Rieder

Feel better?

Yes. Yes, I do.

In a matter of weeks, Adams has filled holes that Jason Botterill could not in three years.

A very good 2C and a first line forward? You mean we didn’t have to settle for Conor Sheary, Jimmy Vesey and Marcus Johansson for our $11 million?

• Like (+1) 4

I wonder if the Hall signing will give the Sabres a good reason  to start Cozens at center?  Hall is a player that likes the puck on his stick.  Therefore he probably isn’t a good fit with Jack. 
Also Rieder was brought in to kill penalties and will make this team.

Skinner Jack Reinhart

Hall Staal KO

Girgensons Eakin Rieder

VO Cozens Thompson 

Lazar

This way no one is forced to play out of position.  KO will be a nice physical presence on Staal’s line.  The three kids gets sheltered minutes and get used as a 3rd O line.  Eakin’s line gets to kill penalties and defend other teams top scoring line. 

This move puts us at 80 million.  My guess is a RHD is being voted off the island.

Fully understand why people wouldn't like the following idea:

Analytics would not be a fan of this at all, but because of Krueger, I wonder if they look at Chara for that 3 LD hole. Respected leader, will stand up for guys, Dahlin mentor, Jack will love Boston captain he watched lift the cup. There's not great analytical reasons for it, but there are great emotional-team reasons.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder if the Hall signing will give the Sabres a good reason  to start Cozens at center?  Hall is a player that likes the puck on his stick.  Therefore he probably isn’t a good fit with Jack. 
Also Rieder was brought in to kill penalties and will make this team.

Skinner Jack Reinhart

Hall Staal KO

Girgensons Eakin Rieder

VO Cozens Thompson 

Lazar

This way no one is forced to play out of position.  KO will be a nice physical presence on Staal’s line.  The three kids gets sheltered minutes and get used as a 3rd O line.  Eakin’s line gets to kill penalties and defend other teams top scoring line. 

This move puts us at 80 million.  My guess is a RHD is being voted off the island.

Don't think KO has enough left in the tank to play on a 2nd line, but if he does, that could be quite the career rejuvenation line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.