2020 Off-season gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Semi-related, at what contract level do we have interest in TJ Brodie to be our 2LD? He’s of a similar level to Montour, but a better fit, and it allows us to flip Montour for help up front.

I like the idea of this lineup if Joki and Little Ras mature as most of us expect:

Dahlin Jokiharju

Brodie Risto

McCabe Miller

Not big on Brodie in the last ~3 or so years. Everything I've seen and read indicates he's pretty bad when not with Giordano now. It's a good idea to be thinking about defensemen though, depending on how the forward moves play out. 

I still think Ian Cole could perfectly replace what we were doing with Scandella last year, and would be downright easy to get from Colorado for nothing, because they have so many good young D ready to jump in, and Cole's cap is a little annoying. There's always a chance he's ready to flop right this second, but if he's got one more solid year in him, if you wind up losing one of the extra RHDs, Cole probably brings this roster more next year than a Montour did last year, and in a style that was missing once Scandella was gone (PK, d-zone staple), with convenient handedness 

Warning: this is the type of player I get wrong more than any other, from how down I was on Scandella before last year, to how high I was on that Dallas UFA whose name I can't even remember now, who went to Minnesota a year or two ago

Edited by Randall Flagg

Also, Copp and Beauvillier would be pretty nice adds. Not to SOLVE the 2C/top 6 problem, but if we proceed down the smart, solid depth route. 

Skinner - Eichel - Beauvillier
Olofsson - Bonino/Stepan/Henrique - Reinhart
Kahun - Copp - Johansson
Smart - 4th  Line with - Okposo here 

Is pretty decent, though I agree that I don't want to lose both RHDs for those guys, I think you could get them for less

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, Copp and Beauvillier would be pretty nice adds. Not to SOLVE the 2C/top 6 problem, but if we proceed down the smart, solid depth route. 

Kahun - Copp - Johansson

Is pretty decent, though I agree that I don't want to lose both RHDs for those guys, I think you could get them for less

I guess maybe there just wasn’t enough $ available in the not-spending-to-the-cap formula to add that further C.

If Vogl's predictions are roughly true (no reason to think otherwise) than the Sabres could have around 7.5mil to spend on a player once they sort out their roster. This is of course without trades (montour/risto/miller) but that gives us some idea about what we actually have to spend.

https://theathletic.com/1942361/2020/07/22/breaking-down-how-the-flat-salary-cap-will-impact-the-sabres-in-2020-21/

The Sabres need one forward to reach the roster minimum and would prefer to add a left-handed defenseman and extra forward. They’d have $7,629,165 available, putting them in good position to bid for a free agent.

But would that roster be good enough to end the nine-year playoff drought? Or should the Sabres try to take advantage of the teams facing cap problems? After all, there will be plenty of them.

We’ll look at the options in Part 2 – and there are exciting ones.

Edited by LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Vogl's predictions are roughly true (no reason to think otherwise) than the Sabres could have around 7.5mil to spend on a player once they sort out their roster. This is of course without trades (montour/risto/miller) but that gives us some idea about what we actually have to spend.

https://theathletic.com/1942361/2020/07/22/breaking-down-how-the-flat-salary-cap-will-impact-the-sabres-in-2020-21/

Those numbers are a little different than the ones from the Athletic I have been using from a month or two back, but the general picture is the same. The Sabres are in great shape compared to the rest of the league.

As for the $7.5, I think we will have more, because the flat cap is going to wreak havoc with the Evolving Hockey model John is using.

The key stat I like to look at is the cap space per open roster spot. The Sabres have nearly $3 million.

About half the league has somewhere between $1 million per roster spot, or less, including a handful who are already over the cap.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Those numbers are a little different than the ones from the Athletic I have been using from a month or two back, but the general picture is the same. The Sabres are in great shape compared to the rest of the league.

As for the $7.5, I think we will have more, because the flat cap is going to wreak havoc with the Evolving Hockey model John is using.

The key stat I like to look at is the cap space per open roster spot. The Sabres have nearly $3 million.

About half the league has somewhere between $1 million per roster spot, or less, including a handful who are already over the cap.

Let us hope Adams is clever because there is a real opportunity here. 

• Like (+1) 2

Die wrote some potential ideas. Repairing The Sabres In Three Easy Steps (Trades):

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/7/18/21330018/repairing-the-sabres-in-three-easy-steps-trades

Short version to wet your whistle, go read the article:

• BUFFALO Sam Reinhart, Casey Mittelstadt -> CALGARY Elias Lindholm, 2021 4th
  • BUFFALO Rasmus Ristolainen -> NEW JERSEY Miles Wood, Janne Kuokkanen
  • BUFFALO Carter Hutton (50% retained), 2021 4th, 2022 5th -> St. LOUIS Jake Allen, Oskar Sundqvist, and Nikita Alexandrov

CAP: $77.9M ($81.5M CAP CEILING)

Skinner (9) – Eichel (10) – Wood (2.75)
Olofsson (4.1)– Lindholm (4.85) – Kahun (2.4)
MoJo (4.5) – Sundqvist (2.75) – Cozens (.925)
Asplund (.85) – Lazar (.895) – Okposo (6)
Simmonds (1.5) – ?

Dahlin (.925) – Joker (.925)
? – Monty (4.5)
McCabe (2.8) – Miller (3.9)
Nelson (1)

Ullmark (2.8) – Allen (4.35)

5 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Die wrote some potential ideas. Repairing The Sabres In Three Easy Steps (Trades):

https://www.diebytheblade.com/2020/7/18/21330018/repairing-the-sabres-in-three-easy-steps-trades

• BUFFALO Carter Hutton (50% retained), 2021 4th, 2022 5th -> St. LOUIS Jake Allen, Oskar Sundqvist, and Nikita Alexandrov

Simmonds (1.5) – ?

? – Monty (4.5)
Nelson (1)

Just to give proper credit.  This interesting, reasonable article was written not by DBTB Staff, but by knowledgeable commenter and good guy, the much loved TMcGee.  

On 7/15/2020 at 5:25 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Kahun - Copp - Johansson

I personally see nothing in Stepan.  I find him a rental at the deadline type of move.  He's been terrible for the past 3-4 years.  He's at best a Bozak type player.  If you cannot get better, sure, but we had better not give up much of anything.  Henrique is an "okay" option.  I personally don't like the term left on his contract, as he's over 30.  Bonino is fine for his spare year left.   I love Copp.

27 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Simmonds (1.5) – ?

? – Monty (4.5)
Nelson (1)

Puke on the return for Ristolainen.  Again, what has Miles Wood ever done to show that he's much more than Vesey.  PASS!  Why are we trading Casey and Sam for a slightly better swedish version of Sam.  He's more of a facilitating wing.  Are we giving up Mittelstadt with him, for the AAV on his contract?

2 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Simmonds (1.5) – ?

? – Monty (4.5)
Nelson (1)

I cringed at trading Reino when I first read it but, this set of trades is pretty appealing when you factor in not only the improved roster, but the cap benefits. Linholm’s contract is ridiculous, and he slightly out produced Reinhart last year, and is listed as a centre. He’s going to be making 2-3 mil less per than Sam. 

What’s clear is for an even reasonably creative mind there appears to be numerous available avenues for improving this team this offseason. Absolutely can’t (but they could) line up opening night looking like:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Cozens - Kahun

Mittelstadt - Johansson - Thompson

Aspund - Lazar - Okposo 

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I cringed at trading Reino when I first read it but, this set of trades is pretty appealing when you factor in not only the improved roster, but the cap benefits. Linholm’s contract is ridiculous, and he slightly out produced Reinhart last year, and is listed as a centre. He’s going to be making 2-3 mil less per than Sam. 

What’s clear is for an even reasonably creative mind there appears to be numerous available avenues for improving this team this offseason. Absolutely can’t (but they could) line up opening night looking like:

Skinner - Cozens - Kahun

Aspund - Lazar - Okposo 

Please, I beg that this does not happen. 

I'll see whatever else shakes out and generally accept it for what it is. Cozens starting the season as anything more than a sheltered 3C is totally unacceptable to me at this point in time. Even if he is head and shoulders the best 2C in training camp, he should still start the season at 3C and see < 15-16 minutes of TOI including the power play and maybe penalty kill if he has the chops for that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Absolutely can’t (but they could) line up opening night looking like:

Skinner - Cozens - Kahun

Aspund - Lazar - Okposo 

10 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Please, I beg that this does not happen. 

... Cozens starting the season as anything more than a sheltered 3C is totally unacceptable to me at this point in time. ...

Agree.

That lineup would be hot trash after line one and secondary scoring would be awful. We would fail to make the playoffs based on that alone, and it wouldn't matter what happens on D or in net.

Cozens must be developed and not thrown to the wolves.

• Like (+1) 2

BUFFALO Sam Reinhart, Casey Mittelstadt -> CALGARY Elias Lindholm, 2021 4th 

This is just an awful trade

16 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Simmonds (1.5) – ?

? – Monty (4.5)
Nelson (1)

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/23/2020 at 9:00 AM, WildCard said:

BUFFALO Sam Reinhart, Casey Mittelstadt -> CALGARY Elias Lindholm, 2021 4th 

This is just an awful trade

If you think you are getting Lindholm at that contract, that looks like what it would take at the very least.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.