Jbot needs to go

Wyldnwoody44

40 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

According to the CBA, the ONLY way Botterill could have retained Lehner was to pay him >4 million per season.  Only one team even dared touch Lehner with a 10ft pole, after Jason by the player's own account did everything to set him in the right path, for a 1.5 million dollar contract.  Then he signed for a team desperate for a goalie for a 1-yr 5 million.  He could have just as easily gone the other way and went back into his spiral and not be a professional ever again.  There is absolutely NO way Jason can be blamed for any of this at all.  His hands were completely tied by Murray before him and the CBA itself.

Saying Sheary is a fail when he's the only other realistic option other than signing the Pouliot type players that was a fail the year prior.  We offered more money to UFAs and they didn't bite, and was cap stricken otherwise.  Again, I don't think this is a fair assessment at all.  Especially when Sheary may even return more than a 3rd in return if he's dealt this weekend-- his story isn't over.

The Sabres could have forced Lehner to stay with a $4 million qualifying offer. They also could have negotiated a deal with him for less than his qualifying offer. Or they could have let him hit the market and offered him more than what the Islanders did. Those might not have been safe moves, or the moves you or I would have made, but they were options open to Jason. And the fact of the matter is that Lehner pulled himself together that summer and has been a legitimate starter ever since. You can argue why it made sense for Jason to do what he did, but the fact of the matter is he let a legitimate starting goalie walk for free from a team that did not have another. As I said in my original post, I was not judging the logic of Jason's moves, only the results.

As far as Sheary goes, it's pretty hard to justify spending $5.2 million for an offense-only winger who scored just 14 goals and can't stay in the lineup. Getting a 3rd for Sheary at the deadline doesn't really change this. Again, this is not about circumstances, it's about results.

Edited by dudacek

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Irony is that GMTM went with size over skill for most of his picks and even told Schopp and the Bulldog leading up to that draft that when Leon sticks his ass out it’s difficult to move him. 

I was convinced Murray was going to take him because he seemed to be so much a Murray type player.

I will admit to having been fully on board the Reinhart train. Sam versus Leon at the WJC clearly favoured Sam.

More evidence that development matters, and that putting too much stock in one tournament is a bad idea.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I was convinced Murray was going to take him because he seemed to be so much a Murray type player.

I will admit to having been fully on board the Reinhart train. Sam versus Leon at the WJC clearly favoured Sam.

More evidence that development matters, and that putting too much stock in one tournament is a bad idea.

Reinhart is a 65-70 point winger.  If you can't build a winning team with that type of player on the roster, you shouldn't be a NHL GM or coach.

Edited by jad1

One of the biggest problems seems to be that Botterill has set high prices on his tradable assets Meaning he over values some of them, namely Risto As Friedman mentioned yesterday. 

There is enough speculation out of not only Buffalo but Winnipeg as well that there was a deal close centered around Risto for Ehlers, so there has to be some truth to it.  Other names that keep popping up are Mason Appleton or Andrew Copp from Winnipeg and Rasmus Asplund or Davidsson from the Sabres.

Either way the Sabres would have come out ahead.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One of the biggest problems seems to be that Botterill has set high prices on his tradable assets Meaning he over values some of them, namely Risto As Friedman mentioned yesterday. 

There is enough speculation out of not only Buffalo but Winnipeg as well that there was a deal close centered around Risto for Ehlers, so there has to be some truth to it.  Other names that keep popping up are Mason Appleton or Andrew Copp from Winnipeg and Rasmus Asplund or Davidsson from the Sabres.

Either way the Sabres would have come out ahead.  

Darcy Regier disease?  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Not sure I believe those rumors especially since chad is the source of some of them, but I'd kill to have Copp on our team

Copp is exactly the kind of player Botterill should be trading for, though he doesn't solve our second line talent problems. 

5 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Copp is exactly the kind of player Botterill should be trading for, though he doesn't solve our second line talent problems. 

I didn't think it'd be so quick for someone to notice my hyperbole

I really wouldn't kill for Copp lol but I'd trade for him and build a good 3rd line around him 

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Risto and Davidsson for Copp and Ehlers is exactly the kind of trade that we haven't seen Botterill making.

Aka the “hockey trade”

Jokiharju for Nylander is one and Foligno/Ennis for Scandy/Pommers is another but nothing on the Ehlers for Risto scale.  Those deals worked in general. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Nobody thinks we aren't pretty close to being where we need to be, we know that one good offseason by one competent GM can get us there. 

Call me Nobody I guess. 

I see us having about half a decent team at best.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m talking about the $35 million in projected cap space, the relative lack of bad contracts (please don’t look at Skinner) and the under-25 talent on the roster and the system.

Dahlin, Eichel and $35 million in cap space is a great canvas for a good GM to work with.

Only if you think he can attract solid UFAs and not overpay them. I strongly question the viability of that (and I am pretty sure he will squander some of that cap on keeping the RFAs)

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Call me Nobody I guess. 

I see us having about half a decent team at best.

Only if you think he can attract solid UFAs and not overpay them. I strongly question the viability of that (and I am pretty sure he will squander some of that cap on keeping the RFAs)

Downright mediocre teams compete for the playoffs this year, and replacing Hutton with average backup goaltending would have us probably right down to the wire this season alone, so while I agree that we are a few years out from being a seriously good team there's no reason outside incompetence why we can't have an exciting March and April next season 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I believe this is fair and maybe it comes down to I have more faith in his ability to bring in talent because of his transformation of the defense and the steal he got in Skinner.  

I’m also not as will to throw a 20 and 21 year old kid under the bus as others here.  If Mitts and Thompson were 23 and 24 I’d be more likely to call them busts but we are even close to that status.

they may not be official busts yet but when these guys get a whole season in the nhl and then get sent down its usually not a good sign. mitts cant even score in ROch. If im botts i trade him while he has any value, if he still does. i see Grigorenko written all over him

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.