Jump to content
Eleven

Around the NHL 2019-20

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Yes, the Seattle Organization has been progressive in their hirings from their Director of Analytics Alex Mandrcky to Cammi Granato as a full time scout, keeping Francis might be considered counterintuitive to that. 

Carolina pretty obviously had some splits in the hockey department.

Impossible to tell if from this distance if Francis or Karmanos is the one lying. Francis always seemed like a classy hockey player and Karmanos a greasy billionaire, but that might just be my bias showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Carolina pretty obviously had some splits in the hockey department.

Impossible to tell if from this distance if Francis or Karmanos is the one lying. Francis always seemed like a classy hockey player and Karmanos a greasy billionaire, but that might just be my bias showing.

The NHL will have to sort this out. 
 

Dundon, his replacement made his billion as a subprime auto loan king, so the greasy label is appropriate for him as well. 
 

He is smart enough to let his hockey department make on ice decisions. Although He refused to pay a 7.5 Million Dollar Signing Bonus as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sabremike said:

 

I'm not sure whether that's the most Brooklyn thing ever, the most Long Island thing ever, or both (since Brooklyn is part of LI but no one there seems to want to acknowledge that basic fact).

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The NHL will have to sort this out. 

Could be neither one is lying.  If Francis sent an email, you don't know if Karmanos actually read it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew that arena wasn't designed for hockey, but square corners?  Wow, I had no idea it was that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

@Wyldnwoody44 did a nice job breaking it up, and looking good while doing it.

Damn, I didn't think anyone would see me

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Why are they talking about stuff that happened 5 years ago?

Because it's the snowflake culture we're becoming. Verbally assaulted five years ago. Poor baby!!! Grow the ***** up and get over it cupcake. What a joke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Why are they talking about stuff that happened 5 years ago?

 

24 minutes ago, Hank said:

Because it's the snowflake culture we're becoming. Verbally assaulted five years ago. Poor baby!!! Grow the ***** up and get over it cupcake. What a joke. 

Nah it's just gossip at this point.  I'm ignoring it.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Hank said:

Because it's the snowflake culture we're becoming. Verbally assaulted five years ago. Poor baby!!! Grow the ***** up and get over it cupcake. What a joke. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hank said:

Because it's the snowflake culture we're becoming. Verbally assaulted five years ago. Poor baby!!! Grow the ***** up and get over it cupcake. What a joke. 

You love the term snowflake.  You don't even know what was said.  Are you advocating that people should be allowed to speak to others in any way they see fit?

The issue at hand is that it appears that some of these "old school" hockey executives have a rather unprofessional method of dealing with players. It creates an atmosphere they do not want to work in.  This, in any other corporate culture, would be unacceptable, and as such, it should be unacceptable in the NHL as well.

Why five years later?  Well, I think it speaks to the level of concern players have when it comes to speaking up about these matters.  Perhaps they are concerned that "rocking the boat" will lead to them being blackballed by these "old school" hockey executives.  This would then cost them millions of dollars and remove them from playing the game they love.

There's no need to treat other people like garbage.  No one has to accept it.  Your insinuation is that you are allowed to say whatever you want to say and that if someone else doesn't like it, well, that's too bad. Well, if the extent of your interaction with that person is limited to that single engagement, then so be it.  It's easy enough to chalk it up to you being an asshat and move on.  If, however, it's an ongoing interaction, especially when the two have to work together, then it's very much a different story.  You are still an asshat, but the other shouldn't have to leave their job just because you are the asshat.

Johnny might be a snowflake if he can't handle walking his hockey equipment to the car after practice and he gets picked up at the door.

Johnny is not a snowflake if his boss engages in verbal or physical harassment.

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LTS said:

You love the term snowflake.  You don't even know what was said.  Are you advocating that people should be allowed to speak to others in any way they see fit?

The issue at hand is that it appears that some of these "old school" hockey executives have a rather unprofessional method of dealing with players. It creates an atmosphere they do not want to work in.  This, in any other corporate culture, would be unacceptable, and as such, it should be unacceptable in the NHL as well.

Why five years later?  Well, I think it speaks to the level of concern players have when it comes to speaking up about these matters.  Perhaps they are concerned that "rocking the boat" will lead to them being blackballed by these "old school" hockey executives.  This would then cost them millions of dollars and remove them from playing the game they love.

There's no need to treat other people like garbage.  No one has to accept it.  Your insinuation is that you are allowed to say whatever you want to say and that if someone else doesn't like it, well, that's too bad. Well, if the extent of your interaction with that person is limited to that single engagement, then so be it.  It's easy enough to chalk it up to you being an asshat and move on.  If, however, it's an ongoing interaction, especially when the two have to work together, then it's very much a different story.  You are still an asshat, but the other shouldn't have to leave their job just because you are the asshat.

Johnny might be a snowflake if he can't handle walking his hockey equipment to the car after practice and he gets picked up at the door.

Johnny is not a snowflake if his boss engages in verbal or physical harassment.

 

This is a fair observation and I will reconsider my position that it's "just gossip" at this point.  Players probably feel very pressured not to speak out until it's too late and they're retired.  We've seen other crises with similar foundations in gymnastics, scouting, religion, whatever.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

 

 

2 hours ago, LTS said:

You love the term snowflake.  You don't even know what was said.  Are you advocating that people should be allowed to speak to others in any way they see fit?

The issue at hand is that it appears that some of these "old school" hockey executives have a rather unprofessional method of dealing with players. It creates an atmosphere they do not want to work in.  This, in any other corporate culture, would be unacceptable, and as such, it should be unacceptable in the NHL as well.

Why five years later?  Well, I think it speaks to the level of concern players have when it comes to speaking up about these matters.  Perhaps they are concerned that "rocking the boat" will lead to them being blackballed by these "old school" hockey executives.  This would then cost them millions of dollars and remove them from playing the game they love.

There's no need to treat other people like garbage.  No one has to accept it.  Your insinuation is that you are allowed to say whatever you want to say and that if someone else doesn't like it, well, that's too bad. Well, if the extent of your interaction with that person is limited to that single engagement, then so be it.  It's easy enough to chalk it up to you being an asshat and move on.  If, however, it's an ongoing interaction, especially when the two have to work together, then it's very much a different story.  You are still an asshat, but the other shouldn't have to leave their job just because you are the asshat.

Johnny might be a snowflake if he can't handle walking his hockey equipment to the car after practice and he gets picked up at the door.

Johnny is not a snowflake if his boss engages in verbal or physical harassment.

 

My post that you both quoted was in response to doohickies question "Why are they talking about stuff that happened 5 years ago?", Regarding Babcock and Franzen. You both attempted to bastardize the meaning of my post into something it is not. Your replies to my post are neither on topic or relevant. Unscrupulous of you both, but not out of character. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eleven said:

This is a fair observation and I will reconsider my position that it's "just gossip" at this point.  Players probably feel very pressured not to speak out until it's too late and they're retired.  We've seen other crises with similar foundations in gymnastics, scouting, religion, whatever.  

I agree with your post. It's a valid perspective. Alow me to offer this.  Five years is a pretty significant time on a developmental curve. We grow, mature and evolve in our ideals and beliefs. I'm a different person than I was five years ago. A better person. I believe you, LTS, and most people would feel the same way about yourselves. Take this online community for example. Five years ago we had a thread dedicated to boobs. We unapologetically objectified beautiful women on here. That would not be tolerated today because as a community we grew, matured and evolved. So in that sense no, I'm no particularly interested in what a grown man may have said to another grown man five years ago that may have hurt his feelings, which is what my post was in reply to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...