Around the NHL 2019-20

Eleven

10 minutes ago, shrader said:

Yeah, that was my thought.  He could get the book thrown at him if that connected.

So the hits themselves are pretty different, but the timing could not be any worse for Cernak.  If the league finds it to be illegal, he's getting a good amount of free time with his family for christmas.

League will give him 5 games. If they even do anything. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

League will give him 5 games. If they even do anything. 

Yeah, the clip earlier doesn't really show me enough of the play to know exactly what happened.  Scanning through the box score though, I see that he did get penalized for an illegal hit to the head.  I think that will be enough right there to get him a suspension.  I'm not really sure how they usually escalate the suspensions for these incidents, but with it being only his second game back, I would hope that earns him one or two more games than they would usually hand out for a second offense.

11 hours ago, #freejame said:

I just have a really hard time caring about hits like this. Cernak started low and went upwards. If Carr were upright it’s a textbook hit through the chest. People are going to get hit in the head in sports, it doesn’t mean it’s dirty. It’s much easier watching something in slow-mo after the fact than it is reacting in real time. 

I understand the approach you have here.  However, in the context of what the NHL (and at least USA Hockey) are trying to remove from the game, it's exactly hits like these. 

In today's game you just can't target the head and for Cernak it appears that's what he's doing.  What's worse is that he just was suspended for targeting the head so it'll draw even more scrutiny. Frankly the hit is unnecessary if the attempt is to separate the player from the puck.  If the intent is to hit the opposing player as hard as you can, then sure, it has merit. The game is not about that anymore however.

50 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

In the "you reap what you sow" category:

Yeah, if you are Evander Kane you have a player who is known for cheap shots trying to line you up.  You are exposed to the boards so you've gotta expect his hit.  I think Kane tried to brace for it and Gudas goes a little lower so Kane bounces of the shoulder (slightly) a little and ends up hitting Gudas in the head.  I can't fault Kane here, it's just an unfortunate sequence and in my opinion speaks to what freejame said above.  Sometimes shots to the head will happen.  I don't think he deserved a game on that and certainly not a fine or a suspension.  I can understand why it was called a game misconduct in the normal course of play, but in slow motion i think it looks different.

The biggest problem for Gudas is that he locks legs with Kane and that is what keeps him from staying upright enough to avoid an awkward impact with the boards.

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

I like that WIlson and Ovechkin went after him afterwards.....vs. the Sabres raising their hands to the ref's "Aren't you going to call a penalty" reaction.

I want to see it. I hope cernak got what he had coming

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

On seeing Overchkin's and Wilson's (Wilson's!) "response," I don't think I ever need to hear again about how the Sabres fail to respond to goonery.

Wait, so you're telling me that having a thug on the ice didn't protect someone via deterrence? Shocked, I say. Almost as if the entire notion of on-ice protection is a myth. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Wait, so you're telling me that having a thug on the ice didn't protect someone via deterrence? Shocked, I say. Almost as if the entire notion of on-ice protection is a myth. 

And, in fairness, that was a bad mofo who did the bad thing. Even so. Tom Wilson was out there.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

In the "you reap what you sow" category:

It is wrong that I wish Kane got a better shot in? I'm certainly not an "out for blood" person, but Gudas is one of very (very) few players I wouldn't mind seeing put out of the game with a shot like he normally dishes out.

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

It is wrong that I wish Kane got a better shot in? I'm certainly not an "out for blood" person, but Gudas is one of very (very) few players I wouldn't mind seeing put out of the game with a shot like he normally dishes out.

You're not alone.

17 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

wild.thumb.JPG.086e8fde21db52de17c6c9977c116efe.JPG

The Wild pass the Pred's in the Central Division.   Makes our 4-1 loss seem a little more palatable.

Here’s something to consider: pretty much every NHL team these days has an 8-2 and a 2-8 run in them and will experience both over the course of the year.

It’s the nature of parity, OT and the way the game is played today. And it’s why we probably shouldn’t overreact to any hot or cold stretch.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Here’s something to consider: pretty much every NHL team these days has an 8-2 and a 2-8 run in them and will experience both over the course of the year.

It’s the nature of parity, OT and the way the game is played today. And it’s why we probably shouldn’t overreact to any hot or cold stretch.

Enough  logical thought.  This is a gosh darn fan forum.   Over reactions are what we do best!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Enough  logical thought.  This is a gosh darn fan forum.   Over reactions are what we do best!

@Randall Flagg alert. This franchise has been so brutal for so long I'm not sure it's possible to overreact. If anything the fans have underreacted for too long. Drawing some equivalency with the rest of the league ( "see, we're just like everybody else") is an indication of how broken we are.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.