2019 Free Agency Thread (Non-Sabres)

Brawndo

14 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

It appears that it is possible to max offer sheet even if you do not have one of your next 4 1st round picks.  I was replying to someone who said that we should offer sheet and defer the compensation until the 2021 pick, keeping the 2020 1st.  I don’t think you can voluntarily defer the compensation.  I don’t think that’s what Dreger is saying.  I think you can only do that if you don’t possess the 2020 pick.

Correct.  When a team only owes a single draft pick in a particular round, it must be available in the next draft.

When a team owes multiple picks in a particular round, they must give up their next picks in that round, but they can have already transferred 1 of those picks and still make the offer.  They simply have to extend out the last pick owed 1 year.

Ex: if you owe a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd they all must be available in the upcoming draft.  If you are lacking 1 of you own picks in these rounds, you can't place an offer requiring that compensation.

But if you owe 4 - 1sts, you must have 4 of those next 5 1st rounders available as compensation and the prior team gets the next 4 available.  So, if you have the next 4, the prior team gets those 4; not 3 of those 4 and your 5th 1st rounder.  And if you are lacking 2 of those next 4, you can't make the offer.

And if there were a compensation level that included 2 or more picks of a particular round, the signing club would have to give up their next 2 picks with one of them sliding to the 3rd year if either of those next 2 had already been transferred to another team.  Pretty sure there are no compensation levels that that situation applies to except the 4 1st rounders.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Curtisp5286 said:

It appears that it is possible to max offer sheet even if you do not have one of your next 4 1st round picks.  I was replying to someone who said that we should offer sheet and defer the compensation until the 2021 pick, keeping the 2020 1st.  I don’t think you can voluntarily defer the compensation.  I don’t think that’s what Dreger is saying.  I think you can only do that if you don’t possess the 2020 pick.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Correct.  When a team only owes a single draft pick in a particular round, it must be available in the next draft.

When a team owes multiple picks in a particular round, they must give up their next picks in that round, but they can have already transferred 1 of those picks and still make the offer.  They simply have to extend out the last pick owed 1 year.

Ex: if you owe a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd they all must be available in the upcoming draft.  If you are lacking 1 of you own picks in these rounds, you can't place an offer requiring that compensation.

But if you owe 4 - 1sts, you must have 4 of those next 5 1st rounders available as compensation and the prior team gets the next 4 available.  So, if you have the next 4, the prior team gets those 4; not 3 of those 4 and your 5th 1st rounder.  And if you are lacking 2 of those next 4, you can't make the offer.

And if there were a compensation level that included 2 or more picks of a particular round, the signing club would have to give up their next 2 picks with one of them sliding to the 3rd year if either of those next 2 had already been transferred to another team.  Pretty sure there are no compensation levels that that situation applies to except the 4 1st rounders.

Thanks for clearing that up! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I just saw on HFBoards that LeBrun thinks that Aho really wants to stay in Carolina.  His initial ask is $9.5M.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/teams-contacting-ahos-camp-only-interested-in-signing-with-carolina-initial-ask-is-9-5m.2661881/

Also, it looks like Carolina added Eric Haula for the equivalent of Remi Elie.

11 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

I just saw on HFBoards that LeBrun thinks that Aho really wants to stay in Carolina.  His initial ask is $9.5M.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/teams-contacting-ahos-camp-only-interested-in-signing-with-carolina-initial-ask-is-9-5m.2661881/

Also, it looks like Carolina added Eric Haula for the equivalent of Remi Elie.

More CJ Smith then Remi. 

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Makes sense since you are only allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the offseason. If/when they get Marner signed they'll know exactly how much money they need to free up so they can do that before announcing the deals for those guys.

Just so it's in writing and I don't get accused of being negative for the sake of being negative, barring any surprisingly good or bad contracts for these players, I will be happy/fine with signing

Donskoi, Connolly, Tanev, Pavelski, Panarin

I will be indifferent or feeling slightly dubious of signing
Duchene, Bobrovsky, Nyquist, Zuccarello, Stralman, Gardiner, Panik, Dzingel, Johansson, Ferland, Lindberg

Boyle is in between these tiers

I will be upset if we sign
Perry, Lee, Spezza, Simmonds, Phaneuf, Girardi, Marleau, Pominville, Myers, Brassard, Ceci, Filppula

I missed some guys but yeah. I had guys like Nemeth/Benn on my best case free agency team but that was because of a specific Risto trade that required me building a defensive D pair from scratch and fitting under cap. Since we likely aren't doing what I had on there they're guys I barely glance at 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.