Fragile. Yes.

Doohickie

cover_5631419102008.jpg

What other word might one use to describe this team?  Fragile.  Yes, many games they come out and are immediately besieged by a better team.  Other times, they come out looking reasonably good.  But once the other team scores, they get stuck in the same old Roundabout and swirl down the drain.  It doesn't take much for them to ruin a Mood for a Day.  It feels like we will never see the Heart of the Sunrise on a new era of Sabres excellence.  I just hope that at some point, fans in Buffalo can say, "We Have Heaven."  But until then, it's just a Long Distance Runaround.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

cover_5631419102008.jpg

What other word might one use to describe this team?  Fragile.  Yes, many games they come out and are immediately besieged by a better team.  Other times, they come out looking reasonably good.  But once the other team scores, they get stuck in the same old Roundabout and swirl down the drain.  It doesn't take much for them to ruin a Mood for a Day.  It feels like we will never see the Heart of the Sunrise on a new era of Sabres excellence.  I just hope that at some point, fans in Buffalo can say, "We Have Heaven."  But until then, it's just a Long Distance Runaround.

I think the problem is that everyone takes the "hockey Heaven" too literal. Don't you have to be dead to this world before you see Heaven? 

Maybe there should be a change in this slogan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

cover_5631419102008.jpg

Logging in just to appreciate this post.

il_fullxfull.1445359087_dsgi.jpg

It would be nice if this team were Not Fragile. They'd be Free Wheelin and beating opponents down like a Sledgehammer. Jack would say "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet" and they'd Roll On Down the Highway. They wouldn't be Givin' It All Away every night, and the fans wouldn't be Blue Moanin'.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres don't have any true leaders.  They have some good talent (9, 23, 53, 26), but no true leaders that will "ensure" accountability and not just talk about it.  Too many passive personalities on this team that are interested in winning but not committed.  Is anyone scared to disappoint Eichel like they were to disappoint Foligno or Schoeny?  Do the players respect Sam like they did Drury or Gare?  The best teams are not all players "getting along."  There needs to be some "WTF, man" in the room to add the extra drive to be the best.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Sabres don't have any true leaders.  They have some good talent (9, 23, 53, 26), but no true leaders that will "ensure" accountability and not just talk about it.  Too many passive personalities on this team that are interested in winning but not committed.  Is anyone scared to disappoint Eichel like they were to disappoint Foligno or Schoeny?  Do the players respect Sam like they did Drury or Gare?  The best teams are not all players "getting along."  There needs to be some "WTF, man" in the room to add the extra drive to be the best.

Agreed.  When the topic comes up that merely changing the coach will not help (which I agree with and have been saying all year), people mention that players need to be changed out.

But then this usually leads to people mentioning names like Larsson, Zemgus, or even poor old Pommer as people who have to be gone next year.

Changes of that type are not going to help this team.  The roster problems that people don't want to talk about involve, IMO, Eichel and Reinhart first and foremost.  Reinhart is very clearly a laid back, passive guy by nature.  Can't fault him for that, but don't expect him to pull a Messier and throw a teammate up against a locker and tell him mailing it in isn't going to work in Buffalo.

And it's the same with Eichel.  He takes too many nights and/or shifts off himself and is bad at playing at his maximum potential on a consistent basis.

Eichel and Reinhart are both excellent players and they should be part of the solution here, not the problem.  I'm not suggesting they should be moved. I'm saying this team cannot look to those individuals as the core of its leadership; it's not in them to be "that guy" IMO.

Eichel needs to be sort of left alone, Reinhart even moreso, and let them do their thing.  Let Jack get his point a game and do his thing, but don't expect him to be the engine that drives the car.

I think Dahlin can be that guy eventually, but not any time soon.  He's way too young and green for that role right now.

Ironically, a player who would nicely fill this gap is ROR!  Too bad he didn't want to be here.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Agreed.  When the topic comes up that merely changing the coach will not help (which I agree with and have been saying all year), people mention that players need to be changed out.

But then this usually leads to people mentioning names like Larsson, Zemgus, or even poor old Pommer as people who have to be gone next year.

Changes of that type are not going to help this team.  The roster problems that people don't want to talk about involve, IMO, Eichel and Reinhart first and foremost.  Reinhart is very clearly a laid back, passive guy by nature.  Can't fault him for that, but don't expect him to pull a Messier and throw a teammate up against a locker and tell him mailing it in isn't going to work in Buffalo.

And it's the same with Eichel.  He takes too many nights and/or shifts off himself and is bad at playing at his maximum potential on a consistent basis.

Eichel and Reinhart are both excellent players and they should be part of the solution here, not the problem.  I'm not suggesting they should be moved. I'm saying this team cannot look to those individuals as the core of its leadership; it's not in them to be "that guy" IMO.

Eichel needs to be sort of left alone, Reinhart even moreso, and let them do their thing.  Let Jack get his point a game and do his thing, but don't expect him to be the engine that drives the car.

I think Dahlin can be that guy eventually, but not any time soon.  He's way too young and green for that role right now.

Ironically, a player who would nicely fill this gap is ROR!  Too bad he didn't want to be here.

I really, really hate to agree with everything you said.  It hurts (I guess this is the suffering I should have "expected").

15 hours ago, Tondas said:

pp,840x830-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

My very witty reply has disappeared, or it was deleted by a mod, or (most likely) I was distracted by work and did not hit submit.

Anyway, here goes (again ?????) ...

I feel that the current Sabres are very Close To The Edge of being Fragile.  I do love all the Drama of it, though.

19 hours ago, Tondas said:

I think Borgen and Dahlin might grow into that role as well as Pekar but that is ways off.  

19 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I don't always agree with you but.....?

I think Pavelski would be a good one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.