GDT:Leafs at Sabres 7pm 3/20/19

Brawndo

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

To me it’s an automatic firing.  That is not acceptable.  Canes, Leafs,  Panthers, Blackhawks, Flyers... can’t beat anybody 

What bothered me more was again, how the Sabres came out to start the game. They've been off since Sunday and got completely owned through 2 periods. You knew their 1 goal lead was just not going to hold up despite brilliance by Hutton. Sure the Leaf goals were cheap, but you get those when you continually work your ass off and it happened. This is an area of the Sabres game that existed last season and if my memory serves me correct, Phil mentioned this at the beginning of this season that starting the game properly is a focus for this year. Some games they do start well, so I guess he tries to address it but it creeps in again and again.

3 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Who said anything about intentional?  This team can’t beat anybody. I’m confident they won’t win more than one more the rest of the way. 

My apologies Billz.  I read your post incorrectly.

8 minutes ago, Billznut said:

We need to lose out. Better lottery odds and better odds of a coaching change. Sorry but nothing will be gained by winning now. A lot can be gained by losing the last 9. 

Can’t do it.  I hate losing.  These guys need to learn how to win.   You can’t turn winning on when the time is right. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If Hutton had played like that all year we'd have won a few more games. Thought the Larsson line was our best. Cautiously optimistic on Nylander's development now. Matthews was better than Eichel.

You know for about 2 or 3 minutes there in the third we played a little physical and they started to fold instantly. Momentum shifted briefly. If we'd kept hitting them we might have turned the game entirely but alas, we went right back to the usual.

I suppose they think we do not have the talent and so building the system is more important, but from a coaching point of view if you want to win, you do not stick to your thing, you adapt to beat your opponent and exploit their weaknesses. Toronto may just be the only team softer than us, and not playing them physical is just dumb. 

and this is exactly what Boston (and Washington) does to the Leafs with great success. Get physical with them and they can be beaten.

3 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

“We weren’t ready at the start”-Nylander.... why does this keep happening? 

Next year's schedule: All Sabres home games start at midnight.  They HAVE to be ready to play by then.

1 minute ago, Nitro60 said:

Look directly to the coach.  He has allowed this happen night after night.

He even knew this was an issue after last season. I know I saw him  interviewed at the start of this season where he addressed this and said this would be a point of focus. I guess Phil has just "lost his focus".

Just now, Nitro60 said:

Look directly to the coach.  He has allowed this happen night after night.

Why?  “He allows this to happen?” What does PH say in his pre-game speech? “Guys I want you to take your time, easy into the game, no worries.”

Sounds to me like the players lack the necessary locker-room leadership and professionalism to put the correct effort forward.  How is that PH’s fault?  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gatorman0519 said:

Wow Hutton kind of unloaded... “we can’t play in our zone for 40 minutes”

Especially against a club that played the night before in a different time zone. That was embarrassing. Seriously, this could have been a brutal drubbing if not for Hutton.

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Can’t do it.  I hate losing.  These guys need to learn how to win.   You can’t turn winning on when the time is right. 

Not to start an argument BUT Would the Sabres be better off if they “learnt to win”the last 9 games of last season, taking them out of last place? Or are they better off now because they have Dahlin who by all indications is going to be a stud Dman for the next 12 years? 

Edited by Crusader1969

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  “He allows this to happen?” What does PH say in his pre-game speech? “Guys I want you to take your time, easy into the game, no worries.”

Sounds to me like the players lack the necessary locker-room leadership and professionalism to put the correct effort forward.  How is that PH’s fault?  

On the TSN broadcast they mentioned that Babcock  made that a point to address with the Leafs: to "start the game on time" after their past few outings. It seemed to work for them.

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not starting a argument. Would the Sabres be better off if they “learnt to win”the last 9 games of last season, taking them out of last place? Or are they better off now because they have Dahlin who by all indications is going to be a stud Dman for the next 12 years? 

Take away the 10 game streak and we are the same as last year with Dahlin.  

Time to win.  The quitting and the soft play has to come to an end.  I just does 

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not to start an argument BUT Would the Sabres be better off if they “learnt to win”the last 9 games of last season, taking them out of last place? Or are they better off now because they have Dahlin who by all indications is going to be a stud Dman for the next 12 years? 

It’s a moot  point... this team in no way is going to start winning now... they don’t have the talent or will 

Edited by Gatorman0519

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.