GDT - Sabres @ Leafs 3-2-19 @ 7pm

CallawaySabres

The Sabres need to play pissed off.  Only a few do it consistently; McCabe, Skinner and lately Wilson.  Others only show it sporadically; Bogo,  Larsson, Risto.  It has to be more players and more frequently.

Edited by Tondas
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Tondas said:

The Sabres need to play pissed off.  Only a few do it consistently; McCabe, Skinner and lately Wilson.  Others only show it sporadically; Bogo,  Larsson, Risto.  It has to be more players and more frequently.

I think there's a better chance that Mister Rogers would get PO'd and kill everybody in his neighborhood.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I think Phil needs to go back to the job he does best.....being the cover boy for Mad Magazine. I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor coach the Sabres next season.

Pegula should force MSG-WNY to start showing Amerks games instead of Sabres. Let the fans start watching winning hockey for a change.

Edited by Claude Balls
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Tondas said:

It's been interesting to watch the fire and passion be slowly sucked out of Zemgus.  He's just another passenger most nights these days.  A far cry from when he first joined the team.

This organization does that to players.  I just hope they don't do it to Eichel, and I'm scared to death that we might do it to Dahlin.  I have zero faith in this organization's ability to develop his immense talent properly.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I think Phil needs to go back to the job he does best.....being the cover boy for Mad Magazine. I wouldn't mind seeing Taylor coach the Sabres next season.

Pegula should force MSG-WNY to start showing Amerks games instead of Sabres. Let the fans start watching winning hockey for a change.

If the Sabres eventually send Tage Thompson down there, hopefully it won't infect the winning hockey spirit in Rochester.

• Haha (+1) 1

0-10-1 after a win since mid December.......... quite impressive with the talent of the Ballerina, Eichel, Dahlin, Mittlestadt, Ristolainen, Bogo, Rodrigues, Reinhart, Ullmark, Hutton...........

Housley can't be thrown to the curb fast enough. I'll pay for the cab fare when they can his ass and throw him to the curb (a la Spuddy Gallant, the most liked coach in the NHL, the coach Sabres fans thought I was nuts to want to bring in).........

• Like (+1) 1

Craig Simpson was great about 5 minutes into the 3rd period tonight.  He was like "The Leafs will take this all night long...just back and forth in the neutral zone, nothing really going on, no sustained offensive pressure at all from Buffalo."

We got our first truly strong scoring chance with about 3 minutes left in the game.

The bunch of guys we have on this team go 110% balls to the wall very irregularly and for short periods of time.  And when they do it, they think that's good enough for a while.

That has to be on coaching, doesn't it?  

I said it about a week ago and I'll say it again: if Phil can't show us by the end of the year that he can get this group to play at 100% in every period of every game, he should be gone.

Inconsistent play well below 100% full effort is a major problem with this team.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I think the same thing with coordinators in football can be said for assistant coaches in hockey.  You can be a great coordinator but make a poor head coach.  Housley was a great assistant coach but doesn't seem to be a good head coach. I don't know what the answer is but he clearly doesn't either, and that is a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

0-10-1 after a win since mid December.......... quite impressive with the talent of the Ballerina, Eichel, Dahlin, Mittlestadt, Ristolainen, Bogo, Rodrigues, Reinhart, Ullmark, Hutton...........

Housley can't be thrown to the curb fast enough. I'll pay for the cab fare when they can his ass and throw him to the curb (a la Spuddy Gallant, the most liked coach in the NHL, the coach Sabres fans thought I was nuts to want to bring in).........

We think you are nuts for many,... many reasons. That was never one of them.

EDIT: Actually, there were probably a few. I remember getting a similar reaction when I wanted Lavoilette.

Edited by SwampD

23 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Have fun with these thoughts. The team is being built around his system.

Damn the reverse psychology was only good for one game :(

I'll let you all get back to your favorite pastime of dumping all over them but I just want to make one comment on Ullmark. he is one weird goalie and I have my doubts if he will ever be great. At moments he makes Hasek like crazy saves and then at other moments it's like he's stoned and has no idea where the puck is or what's going on. Great save followed by an easy miss because of bad fundamentals (space between the legs, stick not flush to the ice, space off the post - all of which have happened in recent games). I dunno, maybe they need to hire a better goalie coach.I hope that kid from Finland turns into the real deal, cause this crap shoot goaltending we have is just not good enough for a young team that will make mistakes as they grow. That is all.

Now you can go back to the dumping fire everybody stuff you all love so much. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Damn the reverse psychology was only good for one game ?

I'll let you all get back to your favorite pastime of dumping all over them but I just want to make one comment on Ullmark. he is one weird goalie and I have my doubts if he will ever be great. At moments he makes Hasek like crazy saves and then at other moments it's like he's stoned and has no idea where the puck is or what's going on. Great save followed by an easy miss because of bad fundamentals (space between the legs, stick not flush to the ice, space off the post - all of which have happened in recent games). I dunno, maybe they need to hire a better goalie coach.I hope that kid from Finland turns into the real deal, cause this crap shoot goaltending we have is just not good enough for a young team that will make mistakes as they grow. That is all.

Now you can go back to the dumping fire everybody stuff you all love so much. 

I hate posts like this... Yes, let's blame the fans for being negative about a team that has been pacing about 65-points-per-season for two straight seasons (minus that 10-game winning streak) and a franchise that will miss the playoffs for 8 straight years (will be longest active streak following Carolina playoff berth and 2 short of NHL record of 10).

You say these Sabres are "a young team that will make mistakes as they grow." Meanwhile, other equally young franchises with arguably less pure hockey talent routinely pass us by in the standings.

Something is very deeply wrong with this franchise. Maybe the fans pointing this out are not overly negative. Maybe there are too many Pollyannas on SabreSpace that need to wake the ***** up. 

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

and the constant irrational griping is what I hate. This team is way way better than last year. Is it good enough? obviously no, but the ship has finally been righted and the constant whining about ancient issues is just pointless. So there. hate away. 

It's not irrational and they are not "way better."

Carry on.

EDIT: And I'm as positive and hopeful as they come, but this ***** sucks.

Eight. *****. Years.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If you say so, but I have enjoyed the games this year much more than the last............. ages. Team looks like a team, plays faster, tries harder. First year where I see actual progress and hope.  It's simply pointless to hold the current management responsible for 8 years. 

Hey man, you're not alone.  The team isn't great, but they are better.  Certainly more fun to watch.  We have some new members who seem to be irrational and thrive on negativity bringing down the threads.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If you say so, but I have enjoyed the games this year much more than the last............. ages. Team looks like a team, plays faster, tries harder. First year where I see actual progress and hope.  It's simply pointless to hold the current management responsible for 8 years. 

This team was better until the clock hit midnight 12/31/18. Since then they have been hot garbage. Even the goalies have somehow turned into swiss cheese after a strong start to the season. I just don't understand how a team gets noticeably worse over a season. That's not progress, not even close. 

Edited by Claude Balls

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.