World Juniors

GASabresIUFAN

4 Sabres Prospects in the Tourney.

Samuelsson for the USA

UPL and Oskari for Finland

Pekar for the Czechs

https://buffalonews.com/2018/12/25/how-to-watch-sabres-prospects-in-world-junior-championship/ 

It’s interesting that none of these Sabres were 1st rd picks.  Samuelsson and UPL are 2nd rounders, Oskari a surprise 3rd and Pekar a 4th.  I believe that all 4 have an NHL futures.  How good these futures are is obviously still in question, but this tourney is always a great look at potential.  I wouldn’t be surprised if UPL is the top goalie in this tourney.  I also can’t wait to see how Oskari  does on this big stage.

Dahlin and Mittelstadt were the stars in last year’s tourney in Buffalo.  Carter Hart, now playing goal for Philly, anchored the Canadian Gold Medal team last year.

I’m looking forward to watching the Hughes brothers for Team USA. 

I'm psyched by how little I care about this tourney.  Don't get me wrong, I'll catch a couple of USA & Canada games & try to catch the Finns & Czechs as well to see the Sabres kids.  But, unlike the past 4 years, this is not appointment TV; & that is strictly due to the Sabres themselves being both relevant AND entertaining.

Should the Sabres have the potential to get a high lottery pick next year courtesy of the Blues pick, might be more eager to watch again when the tourney gets hosted by Pekar's current squad.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I'm psyched by how little I care about this tourney.  Don't get me wrong, I'll catch a couple of USA & Canada games & try to catch the Finns & Czechs as well to see the Sabres kids.  But, unlike the past 4 years, this is not appointment TV; & that is strictly due to the Sabres themselves being both relevant AND entertaining.

Should the Sabres have the potential to get a high lottery pick next year courtesy of the Blues pick, might be more eager to watch again when the tourney gets hosted by Pekar's current squad.

It appears from early reading on the 2020 draft, having multiple picks in that draft may be more desirable than this year.  Elite top end picks, with depth.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When I was setting my alarm clock last night there was a hockey game on the radio station that I use to set the volume for my Stones CD to play at tin the AM ... the more exausted I am the more I 'pump up the volumn'.  Anyway, I'm thinking hockey at Christmas time?  Oh, yeah, this thing.  Yawn.

Finland will win it, IMO.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
maybe it wasn't last night ...

Won't give any spoilers about the USA game for those taping, but will say it is AMAZING how well the Slovaks travelled to Victoria BC Canada.  At least 80% of the crowd is pulling for Slovakia.  The game announcers pulling for them as well is also entertaining, especially compared to Lawton working the intermissions as he's clearly a US homer.

24 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Won't give any spoilers about the USA game for those taping, but will say it is AMAZING how well the Slovaks travelled to Victoria BC Canada.  At least 80% of the crowd is pulling for Slovakia.  The game announcers pulling for them as well is also entertaining, especially compared to Lawton working the intermissions as he's clearly a US homer.

It seats 7000 and US folks in the Northwest aren't going to travel for hockey.  You're likely looking at Slovakian immigrants to Canada, and not Slovaks, and Canadians who will root against the US at all costs UNLESS against Russia.

Edited by Santa Claus
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Santa Claus said:

It seats 7000 and US folks in the Northwest aren't going to travel for hockey.  You're likely looking at Slovakian immigrants to Canada, and not Slovaks, and Canadians who will root against the US at all costs.

There are likely less than 500 true Slovakia fans in the crowd (perhaps under 50), the bolded is correct.  My original post was more than a little tongue in cheek.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

There are likely less than 500 true Slovakia fans in the crowd (perhaps under 50), the bolded is correct.  My original post was more than a little tongue in cheek.

I miss subtlety sometimes.

Edited by Santa Claus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Santa Claus said:

It seats 7000 and US folks in the Northwest aren't going to travel for hockey.  You're likely looking at Slovakian immigrants to Canada, and not Slovaks, and Canadians who will root against the US at all costs UNLESS against Russia.

The Canadians are growing restless about the talent being produced in the US. Eichel, Matthews, the Hughes Brothers etc...

I always try to watch as many games as possible.

It is high tempo hockey with energetic kids going all out in a short tournament. Lots of prospects to watch.

Canada always has high expectations and it is exciting to watch how these young guys perform under intense pressure.

I watched Czech-Swiss game, currently watching Canada-Denmark and will watch Sweden-Finland next. I'm keen to watch Laaksonen play, I've seen UPL quite a few times before.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Canadians are growing restless about the talent being produced in the US. Eichel, Matthews, the Hughes Brothers etc...

Yes, winning the tourney last year and McDavid say hello ?

Also, love the play from Laaksonen.  He seems to love jumping into the O zone and Finns have him on their number one power play.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Watching Fin vs Swe.  UPL has been amazing early, keeping the Fins in the game.

Yeah, two PP goals against, solid the rest of the way.

Laaksonen looks good too, getting some PP time. He has definitely grown from the reported 5'7 150 pounder at draft time. He looks tall and lanky. Good skater, wants to join the rush.

7 hours ago, Derrico said:

Yes, winning the tourney last year and McDavid say hello ?

Also, love the play from Laaksonen.  He seems to love jumping into the O zone and Finns have him on their number one power play.

US has 3 golds to Canada’s 2 since 2010.  Canada still produces the most talent but the gap is closing.  

On 12/26/2018 at 10:09 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol, that's cute, you guys produced 4 players.

No one in Canada, or outside Buffalo is shaking over Eichel, and Matthew's plays for a  Canadian team so he is loved for that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.