World Juniors

GASabresIUFAN

27 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That ought to do it.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Who wants to help me with this one?

I couldn't find one with the dialogue so I kinda botched it haha. It's the Goblin King and he says "that'll do it" in British Deadpan after Gandalf guts him. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOX_oeikDJY

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I was reading the comments to the Finland/Canada game on hfboards.  The majority of the posting Canadian fans were pretty pathetic.  I couldn't believe the vitriol directed at Comtois.  They are just kids trying their best for their country. 

Isn't that all anyone does or is supposed to do?  Try their best at whatever they are selected to try their best at?

The amount of perfection demanded by those who will never be perfect is astounding.  But it's okay, because they aren't hockey players, or CEOs, or garbage collectors, or, or, or.... it's not their job.  Of course they aren't perfect at their job, but that's not important.

3 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I was reading the comments to the Finland/Canada game on hfboards.  The majority of the posting Canadian fans were pretty pathetic.  I couldn't believe the vitriol directed at Comtois.  They are just kids trying their best for their country. 

The Interim Leader of the Bloc Québecois is calling it Anti-Franciphone racism.  That guy is a clown.  It's not because he is French Canadien, it's because he missed on that penalty shot in OT.

EDIT TO ADD:

I completely agree with you that the average fan is not very kind, or smart, about this stuff.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

Yeah I'm beyond disgusted with some of the Canadian fans. Idiots come in all colors unfortunately and there were a lot wearing the red and white. Too bad. These kids carry the weight of their countries expectations on their shoulders. I was glad to see the finnish goaltender offer a small gesture towards the Canadian keeper before he went to join his team mates in celebration. Its nice that he's Sabres property.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Team Canada blew it, but the Canucks sure have a lot of solid prospects in this tournament. That DiPietro looks like he'll be a solid NHL goalie. Wish we had some good goalie prospects in our system.

Umm, would the goalie that knocked Canada out of the tournament qualify as such a prospect? ;)

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah I'm beyond disgusted with some of the Canadian fans. Idiots come in all colors unfortunately and there were a lot wearing the red and white. Too bad. These kids carry the weight of their countries expectations on their shoulders. I was glad to see the finnish goaltender offer a small gesture towards the Canadian keeper before he went to join his team mates in celebration. Its nice that he's Sabres property.

Funny how none of you are beyond disgusted, ashamed, or otherwise put off when they go to EVERY USA game and just cheer for the opponent, start fights, &c.

The conduct of your countrymen/women (I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you are not among them) is horrible, every tournament.  I don't even want it here again because I don't want to deal with every drunk Gordon for two weeks.

I'm glad you're out.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Sorry you feel that way Eleven. I can assure you I am not one of those fans. And if enough Canadian fans do that that you can blanket/stereotype all Canadians with the same brush than we as a country need work.

Ah, we're a bunch of idiots down here, too, but maybe just not with hockey.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Everyone could use some improvement I guess but I'll admit I've seen some pretty ***** behaviour by Canadian fans. This tournament was probably no different. The keyboard warriors that attacked our own players were likely the same type that act like shitheads at the games.

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, cause overall he played really well and was the only reason they were winning 1-0 towards the end. 

Then, really confused about your complaint.  And, pretty sure you meant to say "and was the only reason they were only down by 1 with less than a minute to go."

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, bunomatic said:

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

What many Canadian fans, and certainly Hockey Canada, are not accepting is that they are no longer the de facto gold standard for hockey in the world.  The game has grown internationally and the player development systems have adapted to produce higher talented players.  Hockey Canada has been clinging to old school development ideas for the past decade while they watch other countries float to the top.

The US fans are certainly the same way and I would imagine would be just as bad if these things happened in American Football or basketball.  I would imagine at one point it was like that for baseball, but the baseball in the US fell to the NFL and NBA so it distracted the US fan.  Canada doesn't have that replacement sport.  They have hockey.

I admire the passion and knowledge of many Canadian fans. I've met some amazing fans from Canada who are so integrated into all hockey levels.  But the actions portrayed at International events is an insult to the fans I am referring to.  It's an insult to good Canadians.  Unfortunately they are the face of their country at these events and it reflects poorly on all Canadians because of it.

• Like (+1) 3

So, as a primer for those wondering which of those 17,000 people cheering for Finland in the Championship game crowd (6,000 (out of 6,500), whatever) are Finnish or Canadian?

If they're blonde, look like models, & sound Japanese when cheering the Finns in their native language, they're Finnish.

If they sound like Bob & Doug McKenzie and DON'T look like models; they are NOT Finnish.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The color guy on the Fin/Swiss broadcast was discussing on how good Oskari has been for the Fins.  

He is, without question, my favourite Sabres prospect.  Mainly because so many collective heads exploded when he was made the Sabres third round selection. 

• Like (+1) 1

If any of you have a child playing hockey (or any other sport for that matter) you are probably well aware of just how pathetic parents' attitudes are towards their own kid and anybody else he/she may play against. I have sen parents fighting in the stands at my kid's game  (who was only 7 at the time) ! Complete idiots and complete embarassment to themselves and the poor children but it continues to this day. heck my son is now p;laying in a local church league and it keeps crazy too and people in the stands still yell and put down any other player but whoever they are cheering for.

No big surprise Canadians who are quick to jump on and off the  bandwagon constantly would dump on these young guys who player their hearts out and lost on a bad break (no pun intended but the stick breaking that led to the tying goal for Finland was pretty unfortunate and very unlucky.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.