Please do not bypass the language filter

SDS

2 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

SDS big government conspiracy to coddle the snowflake libs by censoring hardworking content creators of SabresNation, actualized as black flag bans by nfreeman.  Chemtrails. 

Don't forget Halliburton, JFK and Area 51.

It's all connected.

I think that our very well respected darksabre is going a bit too far on this, but he does have a point.

SDS stated, not in the OP, that the complaint was filed because the complaintants kid visits the board, presumably reading posts and that he wants us as a community to be approachable by all ages and genders, or something like that.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
blah, blah .. .

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that our very well respected darksabre is going a bit too far on this, but he does have a point.

SDS stated, not in the OP, that the complaint was filed because the complaintants kid visits the board, presumably reading posts and that he wants us as a community to be approachable by all ages and genders, or something like that.

I'm glad you're getting the point of my exercise. I wanted to overreact to an overreaction to make a point. 

I told SDS I'll drop it. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It makes me think long and hard 

Just now, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that our very well respected darksabre is going a bit too far on this he does have a point.

SDS stated that the complaint was filed because the complaintants kid visits the board, presumably reading posts and that he wants us as a community to be approachable by all ages and genders, or something like that.

but the position that Dark is taking to get to that point is such a dramatic bastardization of SDS's original comment that we aren't even talking about the same thing anymore. 

This community is already very approachable with respect to language and is one of the most civil internet forums I have experienced. There is basically nothing we need to fix as a community, other than maybe next time you want to swear, instead of using sh!t take the same time and type out ***** which will be filtered appropriately. It's not that hard and it isn't some Fahrenheit 451 big brother censoring conspiracy. 

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'll be completely up front here.  I am not the person who made this current complaint, but I have done it in the past.  I was just looking through the PMs I had with freeman about it.  So it's not just something that is new today.  If this team continues to play the way it is, we're about to get a large spike in activity around here.  It's the perfect time to raise the bar a bit and improve the quality of conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

While I'm honored that some poster's kid looks up to me as a role model, in reality, he probably shouldn't.

1 minute ago, Samson's Flow said:

but the position that Dark is taking to get to that point is such a dramatic bastardization of SDS's original comment that we aren't even talking about the same thing anymore. 

This community is already very approachable with respect to language and is one of the most civil internet forums I have experienced. There is basically nothing we need to fix as a community, other than maybe next time you want to swear, instead of using sh!t take the same time and type out ***** which will be filtered appropriately. It's not that hard and it isn't some Fahrenheit 451 big brother censoring conspiracy. 

Yes, but please read his reply to my post that you replied to.  That was his whole point.

I think that maybe it's time for SDS to lock this puppy.

We have a huge game in Tampa to prepare for.

39 minutes ago, LTS said:

When you manage something there are behaviors you let slide because most of the time you don't really consider it to be worth the effort to try and address.  Every so often, a person will point out that those behaviors are a concern.  It's at that point you have to make a decision, do I act upon that concern knowing that I had the same concern already or do I tell that person to get lost?

SDS chose to act upon it.  Your continued tirade about it is exactly why it probably was not addressed in the past.

Overall, as I see it, SDS made a request of the membership.  You can choose to honor it or not.  In his opinion it was time to take an action and he took it.  I think he addressed it fairly well and tried to provide substance.

He's trying to apply what he considers a REASONABLE control.  You are the one who keeps bringing up the other stuff.  Perhaps SDS will choose to act upon it now that you've made a request of it.  You never know!

I don’t think anyone said they weren’t going to comply with the request.  I think people, such as myself, are annoyed that a forum that usually has a significant amount of decorum is being told they don’t.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t think anyone said they weren’t going to comply with the request.  I think people, such as myself, are annoyed that a forum that usually has a significant amount of decorum is being told they don’t.  

I don't believe anyone, especially SDS, has said that we don't have decorum.  In fact, he stated the exact opposite.

People do bypass the filter with making slight variations to the filtered words.  SDS and the mods are well aware of this and have let it slide.  Now that we are having much more activity on this board it was brought to his attention by a member and he decided that it was the right time for him, the guy who manages and pays for us to be able to post and read here, that it was the right time to act.

There were times over the recent years that there would be fewer than 10 members on line and hours between posts.  With the season that the Sabres are having that has changed dramatically.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
missing letters ... I don't type very goodly ...

I guess my thing is I just find irony and some humor when, for example, I've been grumped at for posting a quick doodle or image that has an f bomb in it or something in the guise of it being inappropriate for work (or children I guess), but it pops up right below a user's softcore boobalicious lady image- but that's totally ok. At least with my bosses, that would raise an eyebrow quicker than catching a half asterisked curse in a wall of text. Now, I never complained to a PM about all that  lady nonsense, because imagine the thread if THAT rule was enforced. I'd have to leave the board, or just fight every time I logged on. I'm sure some of you read this post of mine and are already thinking "oh lay off, you annoying killjoy feminist ladydog, this isn't the same thing and it's not about you and let us have some attractive chicks in not-too-sleazy bikinis". I'm a minority here, I respect that this place is the place that it is, and if you want your ice girls and bodypainted chickyboos, I can't stop you, and you can't stop me grumbling about them either. 

I'm fine with the filter, I also don't mind censored versions of words- it keeps this place a smidge more civil than if it didn't (mainly cuz the folks here aren't exactly lugubrious cyber warriors defending every thought with an epithet), but if we're going to hammer on about something like that (which is already milquetoast, even when "bypassing" the filter) in the name of being PC and SFW and such, hammer on the rest of it too. Or just... say "sorry mate, we do our best, it's pretty clean as is, and we have words with folks when they cross the line as needed." This coming from your friendly liberal PC snowflake girl. 

None of this really matters, really. But for some folks it's a bit like screaming at a long overdue party to keep it down a bit because your lights are keeping the neighbor kid up. It's not really a problem. Everyone will comply. Not really a big deal. Everyone in this thread has a good and pretty valid point and ultimately we're all on the same side but just like clashing. But it's a pain in the tuckus to get chided for something that really isn't worth grumbling about when looking at the culture of the topic/sport this board primarily concerns itself with. An eyeroll at best, a few pages of arguing at worst. We'll be fine. This thread will be forgotten by Thursday. 

Are there many of those avatars?  I barely even look at that side of the screen anymore.  Only one comes to mind immediately.  Anyway, those were struck down over on TSW years ago so I'm kind of surprised it never happened here.  It goes right back to the added attention of extra posting volume I guess.

10 minutes ago, josie said:

I guess my thing is I just find irony and some humor when, for example, I've been grumped at for posting a quick doodle or image that has an f bomb in it or something in the guise of it being inappropriate for work (or children I guess), but it pops up right below a user's softcore boobalicious lady image- but that's totally ok. At least with my bosses, that would raise an eyebrow quicker than catching a half asterisked curse in a wall of text. Now, I never complained to a PM about all that  lady nonsense, because imagine the thread if THAT rule was enforced. I'd have to leave the board, or just fight every time I logged on. I'm sure some of you read this post of mine and are already thinking "oh lay off, you annoying killjoy feminist ladydog, this isn't the same thing and it's not about you and let us have some attractive chicks in not-too-sleazy bikinis". I'm a minority here, I respect that this place is the place that it is, and if you want your ice girls and bodypainted chickyboos, I can't stop you, and you can't stop me grumbling about them either. 

I'm fine with the filter, I also don't mind censored versions of words- it keeps this place a smidge more civil than if it didn't (mainly cuz the folks here aren't exactly lugubrious cyber warriors defending every thought with an epithet), but if we're going to hammer on about something like that (which is already milquetoast, even when "bypassing" the filter) in the name of being PC and SFW and such, hammer on the rest of it too. Or just... say "sorry mate, we do our best, it's pretty clean as is, and we have words with folks when they cross the line as needed." This coming from your friendly liberal PC snowflake girl. 

None of this really matters, really. But for some folks it's a bit like screaming at a long overdue party to keep it down a bit because your lights are keeping the neighbor kid up. It's not really a problem. Everyone will comply. Not really a big deal. Everyone in this thread has a good and pretty valid point and ultimately we're all on the same side but just like clashing. But it's a pain in the tuckus to get chided for something that really isn't worth grumbling about when looking at the culture of the topic/sport this board primarily concerns itself with. An eyeroll at best, a few pages of arguing at worst. We'll be fine. This thread will be forgotten by Thursday. 

You use a scalpel where I use a hammer. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

We have an entire thread about boobs. And we've had an entire thread about good looking men

This is essentially the rub. If bypassing the swear filter makes our community less inclusive, then we need to consider other content and behaviors that would have the same effect. 

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Are there many of those avatars?  I barely even look at that side of the screen anymore.  Only one comes to mind immediately.  Anyway, those were struck down over on TSW years ago so I'm kind of surprised it never happened here.  It goes right back to the added attention of extra posting volume I guess.

AAGH I had a quick post and then it went bye bye. Rewriting. 

I think there's at least 2 that I can think of off the top my noggin. They don't deeply offend me or anything, I just find the double standard annoying especially when concerning moral lines like those discussed herein. I don't particularly care, but I admit they do paint a picture of the poster on certain topics before they even get a say in. 

6 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We have an entire thread about boobs. And we've had an entire thread about good looking men

yup! And that's fine, really. We're humans- we have our stupid moments and our silly conversations and that's fine. I know I'm in the one thread, and I have had just as lascivious discussions about the other before as a bi woman (although boobs aren't really my thing anyway). I say keep 'em. It's just again- in the face of "we need to be a more conscientious board, so watch your cussin'" it's kinda like... alright then...are we really cleaning it up in here? Floor's pretty spotless for the most part... I personally find my little stupid hill to die on a bit more problematic in the long run over a few misplaced asterisks. I'm one person- everyone stop what you're doing right now because I feel kinda gross and crappy when I see that stuff! But I don't expect that, because it's really kind of ridiculous. I face that feeling every time I breathe in the real world where advertising exists haha 

People blow off steam on forums. That's fine. Hockey's a rowdy sport. Some of those rowdy aspects are harmful. Some of them aren't. I guess the argument becomes "where is the line". And I guess I think this is just an odd wiggly one to get into. 

Meh. 

11 minutes ago, darksabre said:

You use a scalpel where I use a hammer. 

Always, dear. 

28 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Again, it only matters because someone brought it to the bosses attention.

And, Josie, your points about other content are very valid.

That's right. I mean I don't mind the request from SDS.  I don't frequently pull out the $#@! or post the soft-core boobsies (actually, I don't post the soft-core boobsies at all), but if I want to push the limits of broadcast television censorship, I think a sports forum should be okay with that.

And, SDS is just responding to a highly confused society.  As Josie pointed out, some things are okay, but lesser things are not.  Who defines decorum when the idea of decorum has been brutally corrupted in other media venues?  What is the threshold of "sensitivity"?  What is and what is not "offensive"?  Today, all of these things are way out of whack.

It was, and it is, far more easy to recognize if something is right for you or not, and go with that.  It bothers me greatly that everyone thinks things that exist already, that live on their own, need to bend to the sensibilities of every individual who wants in.  You keep doing that, the thing that allows it to live, to be what it is, changes or dies and it no longer was the thing that you liked in the first place.

Again, SDS, being the owner of a private, yet public, space, is kind of caught in a corner trying to do "what's best".   Each person has their own idea of what that is.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, ... said:

That's right. I mean I don't mind the request from SDS.  I don't frequently pull out the $#@! or post the soft-core boobsies (actually, I don't post the soft-core boobsies at all), but if I want to push the limits of broadcast television censorship, I think a sports forum should be okay with that.

And, SDS is just responding to a highly confused society.  As Josie pointed out, some things are okay, but lesser things are not.  Who defines decorum when the idea of decorum has been brutally corrupted in other media venues?  What is the threshold of "sensitivity"?  What is and what is not "offensive"?  Today, all of these things are way out of whack.

It was, and it is, far more easy to recognize if something is right for you or not, and go with that.  It bothers me greatly that everyone thinks things that exist already, that live on their own, need to bend to the sensibilities of every individual who wants in.  You keep doing that, the thing that allows it to live, to be what it is, changes or dies and it no longer was the thing that you liked in the first place.

Again, SDS, being the owner of a private, yet public, space, is kind of caught in a corner trying to do "what's best".   Each person has their own idea of what that is.

Aye. I haven't any ill will towards anyone on this board, and that includes SDS - I feel that's important for me to say since I've been pretty vocal today. It's just a matter of exactly what you described. Those lines are being pushed all the time right now and much more visibly thanks to the internet and constant mobile contact- sometimes justifiably, other times without much need by outrage hobbyists.

You're allowed to not like something. You're allowed to voice your opinions on it. You may not always be allowed to request concessions to your specific needs, especially where it's not really harmful or necessary. And while the community gets their say, with those same guidelines, leaders/owners have to drive the boat into the swells in some manner and take the flack that results, because they will face it either way. 

I’m not so sure I’d label this one as pushing the line. The filter exists and we are all aware of it. That means that the rule is already in place. People know what gets filtered and knowingly modify the word so that it gets through. That’s clear intent to violate the rule they know is in place. The rest of what you have mentioned, Josie, is a bit more cloudy since no rule is in place, or at least not one that the majority is aware of. 

That said, if someone ever decides to circumvent the Pomenstein filter to make the original misspelling show up in the post, they should be banned, tarred, and feathered on the spot. 

This is a lot of words to read and my brain is fried today. 

Doesn't the filter outright remove bad words completely? That's actually why I originally started subbing in my own - I'd type a word, expecting a ##### to show up, only nothing would show up and my sentence would be gibberish with only a single whitespace where the word was. 

And whether it does or it doesn't, SDS is fine with us typing Oh ##### it! or something like that right? Just none of the switching c&k in the f-word? Or should I not do that either? Just to be clear.