Are We Now Buyers At the Trade Deadline?

bob_sauve28

Lots of variables this early in the season.  We have to see where they are in the standings come the beginning of February.  Las Vegas surprised a lot of teams last year and went to the finals, so Buffalo could do it.  

Skinner effect- If Buffalo is hovering around wild card spot and he has not signed an extension, does Jbott move him for more picks and prospects to get more assets for the future. Personally I want him signed to 7-8 year extension for about $7.5.

If we could get a player like Pearson who is under $4mil for a couple of years, then you make the trade.  

Or a young struggling prospect like Sprong.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

even if it improves the team?  I don't get it.

I'm not sure how you get it....it is conditional on what the trade is of course but...USUALLY buyers at the deadline give up youth and/or prospects for older veterans, many times rentals.  I am NOT interested in that at all.  Most buyers are looking for that and looking to give that up. not for me.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm not sure how you get it....it is conditional on what the trade is of course but...USUALLY buyers at the deadline give up youth and/or prospects for older veterans, many times rentals.  I am NOT interested in that at all.  Most buyers are looking for that and looking to give that up. not for me.

Buyers are looking for a push to advance them in the playoffs. If we continue on the pace we are now, we would be considered legitimate contenders, why not try to make a push to shore up a weak spot or add some depth. We don't need to give up a first to add a vet defenseman or a rental forward. I'm not saying make a stupid trade, but to forego an opportunity to strengthen the roster for a playoff run makes no sense at all.

39 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

even if it improves the team?  I don't get it.

I'll give it a shot. 

The draft picks take time to develop.  Those picks will be to the Amerks what Guhle, Pilut, Oloffson, Nylander, etc are to them now.  It's how perpetual winning is done.  Our team should be filled out with the 54 mil we have next year.  I'm not saying there's not a trade out there for us but it has to be a player we're interested in that's a RFA or signed beyond 2018/2019 season. 

19 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Lots of variables this early in the season.  We have to see where they are in the standings come the beginning of February.  Las Vegas surprised a lot of teams last year and went to the finals, so Buffalo could do it.  

Skinner effect- If Buffalo is hovering around wild card spot and he has not signed an extension, does Jbott move him for more picks and prospects to get more assets for the future. Personally I want him signed to 7-8 year extension for about $7.5.

If we could get a player like Pearson who is under $4mil for a couple of years, then you make the trade.  

Or a young struggling prospect like Sprong.

If he is signed before the deadline it would make things a lot more clear. Knowing he was hear long term would make it a bit easier to trade away a pick, IMO 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Buyers are looking for a push to advance them in the playoffs. If we continue on the pace we are now, we would be considered legitimate contenders, why not try to make a push to shore up a weak spot or add some depth. We don't need to give up a first to add a vet defenseman or a rental forward. I'm not saying make a stupid trade, but to forego an opportunity to strengthen the roster for a playoff run makes no sense at all.

Because if we're honest - we're a team on a hot streak but not firing on all cylinders.  You keep saying playoff run - indicating this year.  I'm interested in playoff runs.

It'll depend on Skinner's willingness to sign.

Also, I think the looming Seattle expansion draft will play into what teams are willing to do.  They're going to know that they need to protect parts of their roster for it.

I half wonder if Reinhart is being set up to be the guy that gets moved in that expansion draft.

9 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Because if we're honest - we're a team on a hot streak but not firing on all cylinders.  You keep saying playoff run - indicating this year.  I'm interested in playoff runs.

I said if we stay on this pace.

Buying at the deadline doesn't necessarily mean you give up the farm for a one shot deal, not if done  properly.

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s worth considering what being a buyer at the deadline might do to Skinner’s willingness to re-sign. Maybe he’ll see a franchise that isn’t ready to just say “okay, at least we’re not in last place anymore” and find that more appealing.

I also don’t think Skinner gets traded in any circumstance unless he demands one or everything falls apart between now and the deadline.

1 minute ago, Hank said:

It all depends on Skinner. If he's not signed by the deadline I think they have no choice but to sell him to the highest bidder. If Pominville maintains his current pace I want him sold to the highest bidder too. 

It’s not an unreasonable position but I am a little surprised at this sell at all costs mentality that’s still here.

Pominville has nine goals and eight assists. One of the top scorers on the entire team and people still want him scratch/tossed aside. But ERod has done jack ***** and this place loves him. At some point production has to matter.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, klos1963 said:

Why aren't we?

Because I don't want this Sabres team to be a one-and-done in the playoffs, I want them to be a serious contender for the next decade.  Chances are we will need 4 trips to the conference finals to win a Cup.  You see lots of good teams knocking at the door year after year, they can't all win it.  The best chance to win the Cup is to build a team solid enough to mount a strong playoff run for several years.

Edited by Doohickie

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because I don't want this Sabres team to be a one-and-done in the playoffs, I want them to be a serious contender for the next decade.  Chances are we will need 4 trips to the conference finals to win a Cup.  You see lots of good teams knocking at the door year after year, they can't all win it.  The best chance to win the Cup is to build a team solid enough to mount a strong playoff run for several years.

and you can't do that with trades?

We are not buyers or sellers at the deadline.  It's 40 games away.  40!

The Eastern conference has no truly bad teams. None.  Only Pittsburgh is below NHL 500 with 17 pts in 18 games.  Everyone else is averaging at least 1pt a game.  Any team that goes on a 4 game losing streak can go from the playoffs to the lottery.  

Right now it is to early to tell.  Yes we are on a 5 game winning streak.  Yes we are 3rd in the Atlantic.  No we aren't a dominating team.  Look at the last 3 games and tell me honestly if TB, Wpg and Min felt that we beat them or that they gave the game away?  I'd say they feel like they should have beaten us badly and if hadn't been for great goaltending and some goal posts we should have lost all three games. I think in some respects they are correct.

That said there is something extremely positive going on.  Since we went to LA, this team has found a heart, a spirit and a willingness to listen to their coaches.  They are all pulling in the same direction.  

If we are still in a playoff spot as we near the playoffs, I can see Jbot making some minor moves.  If he makes a big move it will be to get someone that is youngish and has years on his contract left or is an RFA.  Pittsburgh was known for trading for guys at the deadline that fit in Pitt long-term.  Think the Kunitz deal.  They also almost traded from strength.  They developed many D and used that depth to get needed forwards.  

I'm not sure we are there yet. 

The only spot I really see a need is 3rd line RHD.  Obviously Pommers isn't Jack RW long-term, but I think Jbot is looking for an internal solution there, but maybe he trades Nylander for such a player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

GMTM tried that.  It emptied the cupboard.

Depends who’s making the trades though. JB has shown you can improve the team with smart trades. Murray never hesitated to give up way too much for the wrong players. He was a nightmare. 

Edited by Robviously

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

GMTM tried that.  It emptied the cupboard.  Besides, JBot has been pretty clear that NHL success starts in the AHL.

Murray was a poor GM. JBot traded for Skinner, signed FA Hutton,  traded for Pommer and Scandella... I understand not wanting to give up the farm for a rental, I don't really think that happens as often as people seem to think. Trying to improve your team at the deadline to help the playoff push makes total sense.

We're buyers at the deadline only if the return is exactly what the team needs long term.  Just making it into the playoffs this year would be enough success all things considered.  If that can be done with the assets on hand, why mess with the magic formula?

It is absolutely clear right now that whatever parameters JBott and HCPH are operating under are working and they need to stick with the plan.

And if keeping the first round picks we have gives us depth for the next decade - you stay with that plan instead of some heroic run into the second round that in the bigger context will mean nothing.  You don't make a move right now unless it's a move for the long-term...period. That's it.  There's no need to think about it any further IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m cautiously optimistic that Skinner is going to resign here after listening to him on WGR this past week. He mentioned he spoke with Tank Legend Zac Dalpe who mentioned how great the organization was from top to bottom and that others he spoke to about the organization expressed similar thoughts. He also liked the young core of players here and said both on and off the ice the organization has made him feel welcome. 

During his interview Skinner mentioned how important his family and friends are to him and that they have been able to come see him play more often as it’s a day trip for them. He mentioned the importance of his family being close two or three times in the interview. 

He also seems generally happy to be here, he usually has the biggest smile on his face after the Sabres Score. 

We will see. 

By January Botterill will have a better idea on the depth of the draft this year. If the scouting staff has the Top 25-30 Players with First Round Grades he might be less likely to move a first.

Also Hoss mentioned Toffoli is a trade target, he would be one of my first choices as well he has two years left with a 4.6 AAV.

Kevin Hayes could be a Center Target he is a UFA after this season 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.