Pet Peeve -- NHL standings de-emphasize total losses

golfball323

How about if we just say 60 minutes of hockey is worth 2 points.

Every game, after 60 minutes, 2 points are awarded.

If you win after 60 minutes, you get 2 points, the other team gets 0 points.

If you lose after 60 minutes, you get 0 points, the other team gets 2 points.

If you tie after 60 minutes, you get 1 point, the other team get 1 point.

Seems like a good system.

In the case of a tie, though, because there is extra hockey being played, how about there being an extra point awarded to someone should they win. I mean, they played extra hockey and ended up winning, they should get an extra point, no?

FTR, I had no problem with ties, I think the SO is stupid, and I also have no issue with the current points system.

• nfreeman changed the title to Pet Peeve -- NHL standings de-emphasize total losses
14 minutes ago, sabills said:

Give me the 3-2-1 system. The points would be all weird for a while but it makes the most sense.

3 points for Regulation win

2 for OT/SO win

1 for OT(/SO?) loss

I want the 1-0-0 system, where ties/losses/OTL count the same. This way playing for the win is the only option. You don't get to play for a loser point, so you have to play for the win every night. 

13 hours ago, MillerVaive said:

Nor would teams want to get a tie in a game & end up with no points out of it. The only thing i could see as a solution would be to eliminate ties all together & have it be a continuous overtime until a winner is decided or have it be like now but with a shootout forever until someone wins.

or give a half point (.5) for a tie OT/SO loss and 1 point for an OT/SO win

2 hours ago, sodbuster said:

I like this except I would move the lost point to the shootout. 

This eliminates the need to increase given for a regulation win.

17 hours ago, shrader said:

The bonus point doesn’t go to the team that loses. It goes to the team that wins. So are we getting soft by rewarding winning?

Wait a minute.......

Old system---OT win=2pts for a win and 0pts for a loss (2-0=2pt gap between winner and loser)

New system----OT win still gets 2pts and 1pt for a loss (2-1=1pt gap between winner and loser)

Where is this mysterious "bonus" pt for the winner???

If I remember correctly, the "loser" pt began being awarded because both teams played hard for 65min and they should both come out of it with something for their efforts. That to me seems like the only one that got rewarded was the loser not the winner. Simple math seems to prove that.

The fact is that teams play harder during the regulation time (moreso the team that is behind on the scoresheet) to get it to OT thereby guaranteeing they get 1pt (as evidenced by pulling their goalie to tie it up). 

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do teams ever look like they are just sitting back trying to get it to overtime any more?

I can’t recall feeling that way in a long time, but maybe it’s because the Sabres are rarely tied with 12 minutes to go.

I was actually thinking this, too. Teams are going for it all the time now, or at least it feels like it. That might change at the end of the year if both teams need a point or something, but I haven't noticed the issue as much recently.

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Wait a minute.......

Old system---OT win=2pts for a win and 0pts for a loss (2-0=2pt gap between winner and loser)

New system----OT win still gets 2pts and 1pt for a loss (2-1=1pt gap between winner and loser)

Where is this mysterious "bonus" pt for the winner???

If I remember correctly, the "loser" pt began being awarded because both teams played hard for 65min and they should both come out of it with something for their efforts. That to me seems like the only one that got rewarded was the loser not the winner. Simple math seems to prove that.

The fact is that teams play harder during the regulation time (moreso the team that is behind on the scoresheet) to get it to OT thereby guaranteeing they get 1pt (as evidenced by pulling their goalie to tie it up). 

What used to happen when a game ended in a tie? Both teams got one point. What happens today when a game ends in a tie? Both teams get a tie and then a skills competition determines who is awarded an extra point. 

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

What used to happen when a game ended in a tie? Both teams got one point. What happens today when a game ends in a tie? Both teams get a tie and then a skills competition determines who is awarded an extra point. 

No...

What used to happen when a game ended in a tie was they played an extra 5min OT in which the winner (if one team succeeded) received 2pts and the loser got zilch. Each team only got 1pt IF at the end of OT it still remained tied. This is a 2pt difference for the winner.

What happens now is essentially the same up to that point but the loser is awarded 1pt and the difference between winner and loser is only 1pt. Bonus to loser by my guestimate.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

Completely ignoring the skills competition, which is in no way “essentially true same”. Convenient. 

no....you are ignoring simple math.

the difference between winning and losing used to be 2pts and now is only one pt.

individual skills competition shouldn't determine the winner of a team sport....unless maybe (i did say maybe) everyone on the team takes a turn. I'm up in the air on that one.

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

Completely ignoring the skills competition, which is in no way “essentially true same”. Convenient. 

If your so called skills competition is such an important barometer than why is there an ROW column (regulation and OT wins) and no column for SCW (skills competition wins)?

If a team wins in regulation they are awarded 2pts

If a team wins in OT they are awarded 2pts.

If a team wins in your skills competition they are awarded 2pts

Mean while after regulation time the loser is awarded 1pt no matter the situation. Which one is getting rewarded with the "bonus" point?

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Here, I'll give you the answer to this poser that I've been waiting for you to find.......

84.1 Overtime – Regular-season - During regular-season games, if at the end of the three (3) regular twenty (20) minute periods, the score shall be tied, each team shall be awarded one point in the League standings. The teams will then play an additional overtime period of not more than five (5) minutes with the team scoring first declared the winner and being awarded an additional point.

I totally don;t agree with this and that's why I've been yanking your chain on the subject. the reason being is what would the NHL do if for some reason after regulation that the game could not be completed (power outage, catastrophe,etc)? would they award the 1pt each and continue at another time?

But as stated the winner gets the extra point therefore being the 'bonus' point as you call it.

Also this only pertains to the 'new' system therefore my argument still stands because the losing team never got a point even at the end of regulation with the score tied in the old system.

This whole discussion about points reminds me of a math question from years ago.

3 gentlemen are out of town and stop at an inn to get a room in which to share. The innkeeper tells them it will be $30.00. They each pay $10, get the key, and go to their room. The innkeeper later feels that he overcharged the 3 gents and calls over the bellboy, gives him $5.00 and asks him to return it to the gents. Along the way the bellboy thinks that the 3 gents can't evenly split $5.00 so he keeps $2 and gives the guys $3 instead to split evenly.

If the gents each paid $9 because they got $1 each back from the bellboy and the bellboy kept $2, then what happened to the other dollar?

$9x3=$27 +$2 (bellboy kept)=$29.....where did the other $1 go?

32 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

This whole discussion about points reminds me of a math question from years ago.

3 gentlemen are out of town and stop at an inn to get a room in which to share. The innkeeper tells them it will be $30.00. They each pay $10, get the key, and go to their room. The innkeeper later feels that he overcharged the 3 gents and calls over the bellboy, gives him $5.00 and asks him to return it to the gents. Along the way the bellboy thinks that the 3 gents can't evenly split $5.00 so he keeps $2 and gives the guys $3 instead to split evenly.

If the gents each paid $9 because they got $1 each back from the bellboy and the bellboy kept $2, then what happened to the other dollar?

$9x3=$27 +$2 (bellboy kept)=$29.....where did the other $1 go?

So, are you not good at math or are you hoping to see who here isn't good at math?

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, are you not good at math or are you hoping to see who here isn't good at math?

Always was pretty good at math getting older though, lol. 

Can't say the same about typing though.

Sometimes you have to look at things differently too see them correctly. 

How about you?

I know how to give change without needing the calculator or my phone....something I noticed many youngsters can't do nowadays. 

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again

38 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Always was pretty good at math getting older though, lol. 

Can't say the same about typing though.

Sometimes you have to look at things differently too see them correctly. 

How about you?

I know how to give change without needing the calculator or my phone....something I noticed many youngsters can't do nowadays. 

The answer was pretty easy.  Didn't want to stop your fun if you were just goofing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.