GDT 10-21-18 Sabres vs Anaheim 8pm ET

jsb

35 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Our speed looked awesome tonight. 

I don't think it was speed... or at least not *just* speed.  The system they're playing has them use their speed at the right time, and with a purpose, and when they take a risk, there is support behind them.  There seemed to be several chances at Anaheim odd-man rushes that dissipated quickly because the proper backup was there.  In recent years their speed was futile.  Now it servers a purpose.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think it was speed... are at least not *just* speed.  The system they're playing has them use their speed at the right time, and with a purpose, and when they take a risk, there is support behind them.  There seemed to be several chances at Anaheim odd-man rushes that dissipated quickly because the proper backup was there.  In recent years their speed was futile.  Now it servers a purpose.

They were moving their feet, and that's something I haven't seen them do in a long time. They also really seem to support each other well, and they collapse down around the puck carrier in a way that makes it possible to pick off pucks. I know that had to be frustrating to the Ducks tonight. Anaheim would try to make a play through the neutral zone and there would be a Sabre. They were BUZZING tonight. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, hockeyhound said:

I used to hate it when Skinner was playing for Carolina and he got the puck on his stick at the end of a close game with the Sabres because it never turned out well for us.

He would kill us.

This is exactly why I was thrilled when we got him.  Now he can do that for *us*.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Also, this is exactly what I wanted for Dahlin. We aren't trying to force him to be what we need him eventually to be right away.

For an 18 year old defensemen in the NHL, I didn't notice him once tonight.

That's probably the highest praise I could have given him.

We still need better skill up front.  I'm not sure if I like Samson's game, although I know someone up thread thought this was his best of the season so far.  I know I did like Sobotka. 

I also think we desperately need a second Bogo-type somewhere on the back end.  If Nelson can grow big and mean, I guess that would be okay.  He was always positioned prefectly to compliment Dahlin.  McCabe didn't do that.  McCabe and Risto, though, I think they are nice, gritty pair.

The fourth line played well, I have to admit.  As much as I don't like Larsson, he's played well the past two games.  He and Zemgus do a good job on the PK, too. 

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel's pass on the tying goal to start things was elite level skill/vision. 

5 minutes ago, ... said:

Good eye.  I watched the video on that and, yup, it was an amazing pass.

And while it was a great pass, I remember thinking at the time that there was no way Pommer would catch that pass.  The adjustment he made to take it on his backhand and barely break stride shows his complementary skill set to Eichel.  That was a veteran play that didn't depend on speed, it depended on positioning and skill.  The other thing I noted in the play was how as soon as Pommer caught the pass, Skinner kicked on the afterburners to turn Pommer's pass from a potential 2-on-1 into a breakaway.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just running through my mind how to improve on what we saw tonight through the roster.

Also, kudos to HCPH for a solid game plan and having the boys ready.  They really looked disciplined and ready to play.

Edited by ...
Several oopsie-doodles in the post. Time for bed!
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

For an 18 year old defensemen in the NHL, I didn't notice him once tonight.

I did, if only because of his poise with opponents harassing him.  He always seems to be able to make a quick play, or at the very least make a move to buy himself some time, and then make a good play.

Just now, Doohickie said:

I did, if only because of his poise with opponents harassing him.  He always seems to be able to make a quick play, or at the very least make a move to buy himself some time, and then make a good play.

Yeah, I noticed Dahlin quite a bit.  He's pretty special.  Can't wait until he grows into his NHL big boy pants.

• Like (+1) 1

Turned it off after down 2-0 and prayed for a comeback... Needed some sleep before my shift.  Nice to wake up to a comeback... I think that was the first of the season... Go Sabres.... They skated well too especially in the first and easily could have been up...  so there was hope... Now I need to watch the second and third period... Watched the Berglund empty netter... holy crap is he slow... 

2 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Turned it off after down 2-0 and prayed for a comeback... Needed some sleep before my shift.  Nice to wake up to a comeback... I think that was the first of the season... Go Sabres.... They skated well too especially in the first and easily could have been up...  so there was hope... Now I need to watch the second and third period... Watched the Berglund empty netter... holy crap is he slow... 

Great comeback, and Berglund had been out there over a minute at that point

• Like (+1) 1

My game notes:

- That was literally the best Sabres win in years. 

- Reino is very dangerous on the PP from his office behind the goal line just to the goalie's right.  That pass to KO was beautiful.

- KO's finish on that PPG was excellent too.  His legs look lively -- it's his hands and timing that have been a little off.  He's been good enough in his career that there's reason to think those could come back too.

- Howie deserves credit for the line, D pairing and PP shakeups.  The PP in particular is much improved in both the #1 and #2 units.

- I've criticized these 3 guys as much as anyone has, but Zemgus-Larsson-Berglund could be a pretty solid checking/shutdown line.  I've noticed them matched up against the opponent's top 2 lines pretty often in the last couple of games and they've done pretty well defensively.  They got 10 min of ES time tonight, plus about 4 min of SH time for Zemgus and Larsson.

- It's great to see Bogo the enforcer, but we all know that if he keeps fighting, he's going to break his hand or thumb and be out for 3 months.

- As others have said:  excellent speed and passing tonight.

- I'm not ready to say yet that this team has heart -- but that was the kind of win that a team with heart comes up with.

Go Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

We are just one game behind Tronna

But their rebuild is light years ahead?  ?

Tonight was a great night.. got up to the bar just as the anthem was finishing.  Our men's league game was a classic... we lost but it was some of the most fun I've had in years playing. I was chirping the crap out of their best player and we had the ref in stitches on the ice.  It was a great time.  We toasted each other after the game.

I was in and out of watching the game but ended up home for the 3rd period.  I saw a lot and it looked real good.  The best news is that this team still isn't anywhere near where it is capable of playing.

I'm glad many of you feel really good about the team after tonight.  You deserve it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hockeyhound said:

Duff with the "Shmozal" What the heck is a "Shmozal" Duffer?

A schlimazel is a Yiddish word for an unlucky person.  The schlemiel is the fool.  The old joke is the schlemiel spills the soup and the schlimazel is the guy he spills it on.

I don't remember him saying it during the broadcast, but the terms are in pretty common usage so much so they found their way into the intro to the old sitcom Laverne and Shirley.

Now you know.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Just saw that Eichel assist at full speed. 

Might be a top 3 play I've ever seen from him, holy crap. 

That happened just about right in front of me.   Elite level awareness to recognize where his teammates were, combined with elite level skill to execute the play.   

He's still growing as a player, I'm not he makes that play 2 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.