GDT Colorado Avs vs Buffalo Sabres 10-11-2018 at 7pm

jsb

14 minutes ago, jsb said:

Not sure why Phil is breaking the age old hockey tradition of changing lineups after consecutive wins. The lines don't make sense to me. If Phil was hell bent on putting Larsson back into the lineup, why put him on wing where he's been awful and why put him with 2 offensive players. Stick him centering 28&29 and put Sobotka on the other line. I don't know...

8 minutes ago, jsb said:

I guess the reason might be for #22, is a 2nd faceoff man on that line and may give Casey more winger responsibilities than at center. That's the best I can come up with for now, hope it works.

Johan is good at the faceoff, for sure. I for one have always liked Larsson and look forward to seeing him in a more reasonable role in a deeper lineup. Same with Girgensons, who has been pretty good so far this season.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

*crickets*

Hello.

Here's another unscientific thing. Don't some of these serviceable guys from the tank-ish era deserve at least a shot to play when there's a good feeling in the air? You might be surprised how much better they look and actually are when it's not all doom and gloom 24/7 for seven months.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SabresBaltimore said:

I don't feel like Larsson showed anything in the preseason to warrant starting on the 3rd line. He should start on the 4th and work his way up (assuming he even can). I just don't see him on a team that makes the playoffs, except maybe the 4th line/13th forward.

Only thing I can think of is that he likes how the ERod line is working so far, and wanted to make changes to the one line that isn't quite clicking now, which is Casey and Tage.

But it's still garbage.

Right now I think the 3rd and 4th lines are somewhat interchangeable based on who has their feet going and are producing in the game.

Larsson being in the lineup should not surprise you especially since he's inserted for Elie, a waiver wire pickup.

This lineup will continue to flux in those areas and this is what should be happening this season. I would hope that Larsson shows well enough that some team wants him so the Sabres are confident they can ship him out and insert Elie or whomever back in and not lose anything in doing so.  At the same time, if Larsson bombs then I would expect him to get waived or be switched with Girgensons.

It's roster competition.

As for Thompson and MIttlestadt, I think the hope is that they learn in the NHL right now so they move themselves into the second line positions or make themselves a viable scoring 3rd line.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hello.

Here's another unscientific thing. Don't some of these serviceable guys from the tank-ish era deserve at least a shot to play when there's a good feeling in the air? You might be surprised how much better they look and actually are when it's not all doom and gloom 24/7 for seven months.

Serviceable is a generous term for Larsson. I'm pretty sure he was literally a bottom 5 forward last year, in the entire leage

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Serviceable is a generous term for Larsson. I'm pretty sure he was literally a bottom 5 forward last year, in the entire leage

He won 55% of his faceoffs last season, and the Sabres are 20th in the league and well under 50% this season. Maybe Phil cares about such stuff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.