How good our top line?

dudacek

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

They should score a bunch.

That said, collectively, those 3 are a career minus 193...  -193!

What could possibly go wrong?!

2 have played for the worst team in the league the last few years and 1 played with Cam Ward as his goalie, so if Hutton is Ward then I will worry. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2 have played for the worst team in the league the last few years and 1 played with Cam Ward as his goalie, so if Hutton is Ward then I will worry. 

Correlation does not mean causation.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pi's minus point does support the fact that I think those three are varying degrees of "quite bad" in their own zone. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

If Housley were smart, he'd keep Risto/Scandella out there with them... those 3 with Dahlin/McCabe on the back-end would be potentially disastrous... that said, I'm not sure the defensive abilities of Risto/Scandella are strong enough to overcome this... but it's all they have.

If I'm an opposing team top line, I'm licking my chops waiting to get out on the ice against those guys.

Edited by pi2000

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Pi's minus point does support the idea that those three are varying degrees of "quite bad" in their own zone. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

At this point, I don't even care, as long as they just score. Has any team ever had a lower 5 year goal tally than the Sabres just had?

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're right, +/- doesn't equal individual defensive ability. 

A minus 193 might mean..... something?

My point is that maybe part of the reason Ward and Lehner have been so bad is because of guys like Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart not having a clue what to do in their own end.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

A minus 193 might mean..... something?

My point is that maybe part of the reason Ward and Lehner have been so bad is because of guys like Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart not having a clue what to do in their own end.

It isn't. Ward is just bad. I think Lehner is bad too. Also even strength scoring has been a problem and so that compounds the +-

Context. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It isn't. Ward is just bad. I think Lehner is bad too. Also even strength scoring has been a problem and so that compounds the +-

Context. 

You can't score at even strength if you're stuck in your own end the entire shift.    

Regardless, let's see how it plays out.   My money is one them not scoring enough at even strength o offset their goals against. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Also you're adding it up. The Sabres were bad last year. There plus minus is bad which came first? 

The Sabres are bad because they get outplayed at even strength.    Their takeaway/giveaway ratio is terrible.... they spend more time trying to get the puck back (and out of their zone), than they do on the attack.... and I don't believe their improved Corsi% last season accurately reflects better d-zone play.   Their improved Corsi% is a result of taking more shots, from everywhere, as per Housley's system, throw a bunch of pucks at the net and hope for deflections/rebounds.     Maybe Steve Smith can clean up the d-zone, we can only hope.

That said, if they can clean up their own zone, defend better and win more pucks back... they should have more success as a team.   However, I'm not sure the line combination of Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart will help in this area.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

The Sabres are bad because they get outplayed at even strength.    Their takeaway/giveaway ratio is terrible.... they spend more time trying to get the puck back (and out of their zone), than they do on the attack.... and I don't believe their improved Corsi% last season accurately reflects better d-zone play.   Their improved Corsi% is a result of taking more shots, from everywhere, as per Housley's system, throw a bunch of pucks at the net and hope for deflections/rebounds.     Maybe Steve Smith can clean up the d-zone, we can only hope.

That said, if they can clean up their own zone, defend better and win more pucks back... they should have more success as a team.   However, I'm not sure the line combination of Skinner/Eichel/Reinhart will help in this area.

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

You can't score at even strength if you're stuck in your own end the entire shift.    

Regardless, let's see how it plays out.   My money is one them not scoring enough at even strength o offset their goals against. 

I like this logic better than throwing out a meaningless career plus number added up. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I liked the chemistry between Samson and Skinner.   But that is Samsons greatest strenght, he can adapt to a lot of linemates.

If our 2nd line doesn't work out, I can see this top line being split up.

Skinner - Samson - Thompson

Sheary - Eichel - Okposo 

I think doing that will be our best bet for depth scoring. it'll cascade and make things easier on the berglund group too

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.