Training camp battle: The forward depth

dudacek

Forward depth  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which six of the following do you think will make the team out of training camp?

• Rasmus Asplund
    • Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Zemgus Girgensons
    • Johan Larsson
    • Sean Malone
    • Alex Nylander
    • Andrew Oglevie
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Danny O’Regan
    • Jason Pominville
    • CJ Smith
    • Vladimir Sobotka
    • Tage Thompson
    • Scott Wilson
  2. 2. Which six of the following do you want playing regularly in our lineup down the stretch?

The  numbers showed the Sabres secondary forwards were horribly ineffective last year.

For the sake of this discussion, Jack, Sam, Kyle, Connor, Patrik, ERod and Casey are on the team.

Who are the other six forwards?

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

1. Which six of the following do you think will make the team out of training camp?
2. Which six of the following do you want playing regularly in our lineup down the stretch?

The best six.  I don't care who they are, as long as they're the best six.

This thread is really an extension of the previous thread on the top 6 wingers.  Depending on who wins the top 6 jobs, will force others lower in the rotation. Then if a couple of kids earn spots then competition from above and below may force some guys off the roster.  Two guys in particular are very vulnerable -- Larry and Big Z.  Larry in particular seems on his way out.  His lack of speed is a killer for a team trying to get faster.  Smith, Olofsson and Thompson, plus Bailey, Baptiste and O'Regan are all gunning for his job.  One of them will get it.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

One other note:  There will be a 13th forward.  I suspect that by years end Pommers will be the 13th forward.  I can also see guys like Larsson, Girgensons and maybe Wilson being traded on or before the trade deadline to make room for guys like Smith and Thompson if they don’t win jobs in camp. 

Thr only caveat to this theory is whether Buffalo or Roch are in contention for the playoffs.  

14 minutes ago, NNYSABRESMAN said:

Unless Bailey brings the game he played in the AHL playoffs i think his days are #'d . Same with Baptiste he's a lot of Ennis with more physicallity.

Girgensons and Larsson need to go.

I have optimism for Asplund, Olofsson, Sobotka, Thompson and Nylander.

Bailey will play in the NHL one day, but whether he does so in Buffalo is a different question. 

I'm just ready to see some FNG's. We already know what guys like Pominville, Larsson, and Girgensons bring to the table and it's not all that much, so I'd rather see Olofsson, Thompson, and guys like Bailey and Baptiste get a shot so we can see if they have at least the potential to be improvement over those other guys.  

58 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What’s the appeal of Danny O’Regan? What role do people see him claiming.

Nothing stood out to me about his game in my brief viewings.

Supposedly has some good skills and the comparison I saw was to Tyler Johnson. Size might be an issue (or excuse).

Anyway, he played at BU with Jack and Erod....maybe they hope some chemistry ignites some day.

5 hours ago, Eleven said:

Another well-thought-out poll from dudacek.

I legitimately would like to see Pominville playing the Jochen Hecht role all season.  It's good to have a guy who can settle down the game.

I'd like to see a poll on who's 1st PP unit and 2nd PP unit. Could be some interesting ideas especially along the blueline.

I think this could also reflect on the roster....does Olofsson make it because of his shot? Is Mitts on 1st or 2nd? Who's in front of the net on 1st unit....Sam has performed well but,would it be Tage's big body? Dahlin and another D or a forward? does Pilut and Dahlin work together?

Some questions and answers could be very interesting.

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'd like to see a poll on who's 1st PP unit and 2nd PP unit. Could be some interesting ideas especially along the blueline.

I think this could also reflect on the roster....does Olofsson make it because of his shot? Is Mitts on 1st or 2nd? Who's in front of the net on 1st unit....Sam has performed well but,would it be Tage's big body? Dahlin and another D or a forward? does Pilut and Dahlin work together?

Go for it!

16 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Eichel, Sheary, Risto, Reinhart, Okposo

Mittelstadt, Thompson, Rodrigues, Dahlin, Scandella

Subbing Sheary for ROR on PP1 is huge drop-off. Guy is a high-pace ES player.

If we are just going to drop in a guy for Ryan, it has to a guy who can move the puck like Dahlin or Mittelstadt.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Subbing Sheary for Reinhart on PP1 is huge drop-off. Guy is a high-pace ES player.

If we are just going to drop in a guy for Ryan, it has to a guy who can move the puck like Dahlin or Mittelstadt.

So in the first sentence you mean O'Reilly not Reinhart? 

Just now, dudacek said:

Yes, sorry. Fixed.

I'd like to give Sheary a shot and I think Mittelstadt on your 2nd PP gives that unit some teeth with Dahlin. You could also just do this instead...

Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ristolainen - PP1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.