Training camp battle: The forward depth

dudacek

Forward depth  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which six of the following do you think will make the team out of training camp?

• Rasmus Asplund
    • Justin Bailey
    • Nick Baptiste
    • Zemgus Girgensons
    • Johan Larsson
    • Sean Malone
    • Alex Nylander
    • Andrew Oglevie
    • Victor Olofsson
    • Danny O’Regan
    • Jason Pominville
    • CJ Smith
    • Vladimir Sobotka
    • Tage Thompson
    • Scott Wilson
  2. 2. Which six of the following do you want playing regularly in our lineup down the stretch?

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd like to give Sheary a shot and I think Mittelstadt on your 2nd PP gives that unit some teeth with Dahlin. You could also just do this instead...

Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Dahlin, Ristolainen - PP1

A lot of the Kyle Okposo grief is deserved, but I don’t get the people who want to take him off the PP.

He’s 22nd in the entire league in PP points over the past three years. He has more PP points than Jack Eichel.

Same thing with the people have suggested dumping Risto for Dahlin. Risto is 18th in the entire league over the past three years, just two points less than Karlsson and one fewer than Hedman.

I put Risto at the top of the umbrella flanked with Jack and Dahlin, put Samson down low and KO swinging from the right corner to the high slot and ride that monster as hard as we can. It might be the only thing we’re good at.

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Subbing Sheary for ROR on PP1 is huge drop-off. Guy is a high-pace ES player.

If we are just going to drop in a guy for Ryan, it has to a guy who can move the puck like Dahlin or Mittelstadt.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Let Casey run PP2 with T2 imitating Ovechkin In the bomber role and Berglund crashing the net. I’m not sure who I’d put on the point - maybe Bogo/Scandella with ERod?

Which do you want? Someone to drop in to ROR's spot or someone to run PP2. All jokes aside Casey can't manage both.

I personally want him on PP2 with Dahlin. 

19 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I'd like to see a poll on who's 1st PP unit and 2nd PP unit. Could be some interesting ideas especially along the blueline.

I think this could also reflect on the roster....does Olofsson make it because of his shot? Is Mitts on 1st or 2nd? Who's in front of the net on 1st unit....Sam has performed well but,would it be Tage's big body? Dahlin and another D or a forward? does Pilut and Dahlin work together?

Some questions and answers could be very interesting.

19 hours ago, Eleven said:

Go for it!

14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Do it. Dog days need that type of discussion starter.

Sorry guys.....I started to do this but the list kept getting too long. I wanted to make a list with boxes to the right for 1st and 2nd units (kind of like yes or no on a questionaire) but don't seem to be able to.

This Poll here has 15 choices with 7 other names left off and that's just forwards....now throw in some D-men and the list could get to 30 easy. Some can obviously be left off but ....

IMHO, they should make as little change to PP1 as possible, which makes that an umbrella w/ Ristolainen up top, Eichel & Okposo on the 1/2 walls, & Reinhart in the low slot.  Based on his skillset, the 1st guy I'd audition for O'Reilly's now vacated spot would be Mittelstadt.

Would also prefer to see the 2nd unit also work a 4 forward umbrella, but expect they'll start the season like the 2PP worked last year w/ 2D & 3F's.  Dahlin & Scandella would be up top w/ Dahlin on his backhand.  Would expect, based on who is definitely in the top 12 come October that Sheary & Rodrigues will be 2 of the 3 forwards.  The last forward would be then one of Thompson, Pominville, Berglund, Sobodka, or another kid - Olofsson or Smith perhaps.  W/ my money on Thompson.  As Dahlin & young forwards get comfortable, maybe make that a 4/1 umbrella as well around January 1?  I'd expect the chances of that 2nd unit going to the 4/1 to be greater if Pominville is still in the lineup as he has a lot of history when younger as that 4th forward playing halfway/point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.