Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

22 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  Yes.  Although "Russian pee-women" was new to the dialogue.

2.  Don't worry.  It only gained about 1.25%.  Because USMCA is basically the same as NAFTA.  

If you discount the changes in the dairy and auto industries, sure. 

23 hours ago, Eleven said:

1.  Yes.  Although "Russian pee-women" was new to the dialogue.

2.  Don't worry.  It only gained about 1.25%.  Because USMCA is basically the same as NAFTA.  

Well, it was an interesting addition.  But overall, yeah, the name calling should stop.  I don't mind people being called obtuse, but there's no need to call people minions or sycophants... unless it really fits of course.

40 minutes ago, Hank said:

Like most things, the value and impact is not fully realized for years. This is why I generally never get all bent over these things or claim any victory/loss.  Economies adapt to changes like this such that in a few years the waters are level. 

The reason for this is that the nature of things prevails over whatever false rules people want to create.  They are band-aids to the problems and like all band-aids they will fall off eventually and either be replaced with something new or leave the festering wound exposed.  The problem isn't solved, it's only moved.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

The auto industry changes benefit all three countries.  The dairy changes mutually benefit Canada and the US.  These changes  don't turn USMCA into a substantially new deal for the US.

Edited by Eleven

40 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The auto industry changes benefit all three countries.  The dairy changes mutually benefit Canada and the US.  These changes  don't turn USMCA into a substantially new deal for the US.

Which is what a lot of economists are saying. 

54 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's great that it benefits all three countries. Isn't that the purpose of a tri-lateral deal? Does it have to benefit JUST the US for it to be a win? No. Bottom line is, it's a good deal. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

It's great that it benefits all three countries. Isn't that the purpose of a tri-lateral deal? Does it have to benefit JUST the US for it to be a win? No. Bottom line is, it's a good deal. 

I agree that it's good.  It's just nothing really new, is all.  A lot of bloviating over nothing.

If you go to Delaware Park and plant a couple of trees in it, it's still a park designed by Olmsted and not a park designed by Hank, even if the trees are nice.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

At the same time as he is condemning the Saudis for the murder of a journalist, he is riling up a crowd by praising a congressman for body-slamming a reporter.

Most dangerous president in my lifetime.

The man is a tyrant wannabe and the GOP doesn't care because "party of country". Of course I think the Dems would do the same thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SwampD said:

At the same time as he is condemning the Saudis for the murder of a journalist, he is riling up a crowd by praising a congressman for body-slamming a reporter.

Most dangerous president in my lifetime.

image.thumb.png.91e4c22c3921b3cc5fa9aa21aebf7514.png

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The man is a tyrant wannabe and the GOP doesn't care because "party of country". Of course I think the Dems would do the same thing. 

Some would, true believers, but there is enough diversity that some would jump off that bandwagon quick.  

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tell me again how we should wait to see how he does, give him a chance or whatever. He just called the opposition party a "Radical Democrat Mob"

That type of rhetoric is not new, unfortunately.  "Vast right-wing conspiracy" springs to mind.

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Tell me again how we should wait to see how he does, give him a chance or whatever. He just called the opposition party a "Radical Democrat Mob"

The extent to which we as a country in general seem to be quite happy to operate from a baseline of "It can't happen here" while ignoring all information indicating it is indeed happening is both terrifying and maddening.  And empowering to those few intent on making it happen.

For a consumer base that is so entrenched in living in the "it's not real" world this does not surprise me.

We consume television and video games like they are going out of style.  We are more interested in celebrity news and who's dating whom than we are in the people who are taking money out of our pockets and controlling our lives.

The people of the US are getting what they deserve, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any change on the horizon.

13 hours ago, SwampD said:

Imagine if you were an Hispanic American, and you saw a sign saying, "Finish the Wall."

Would you feel safe in your own country?

I know several who don't. Good job, Trump.

This old trope? They're American citizens, yes? Is the New York national guard rounding up random brown people for deportation? Knock it off. 

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

This old trope? They're American citizens, yes? Is the New York national guard rounding up random brown people for deportation? Knock it off. 

Says the ex military white guy.

You knock it off. I'm telling you what I have been told by more than one brown person. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. I'll take their word for it.

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Says the ex military white guy.

You knock it off. I'm telling you what I have been told by more than one brown person. You don't have to believe it if you don't want to. I'll take their word for it.

What have these people told you they are afraid of happening to them? Anything specific?

I would imagine they might be more afraid of the incendiary nature of the citizens who support that "wall" and what they do about it.

Here's an example:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/you-do-not-harass-hispanic-women-customer-defends-spanish-speakers-in-viral-video/23609442

Now imagine if people felt empowered to act even more violently about things.  Because that's the path we seem to be going down with Republicans labeling Democrats as radicals, etc.

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

What have these people told you they are afraid of happening to them? Anything specific?

Up to and including the rounding up of people.

But do the specifics even matter? They went down to Florida to visit family and saw huge signs on houses and even a motel that said "Build the wall!" (Which is kinda funny cuz who are they going to get to clean that motel.)

And I'm guessing that these morons aren't going to take the time check someone's papers to find out if they are legal or not before throwing some hate their way.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

I would imagine they might be more afraid of the incendiary nature of the citizens who support that "wall" and what they do about it.

Here's an example:

https://www.wdsu.com/article/you-do-not-harass-hispanic-women-customer-defends-spanish-speakers-in-viral-video/23609442

Now imagine if people felt empowered to act even more violently about things.  Because that's the path we seem to be going down with Republicans labeling Democrats as radicals, etc.

Yep.

And while there's no proof yet and I am sure more investigation is needed, the recent explosive device directed at Soros and now this:

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/24/660161491/u-s-intercepts-suspicious-packages-addressed-to-clinton-and-obama

The world is full of lunatics who are willing to act on innuendo of those leading their cause. They won't bother to see if that person is a 3rd generation hispanic, they'll just see what they see and act accordingly.  "They're all the same."

3 hours ago, LTS said:

And while there's no proof yet and I am sure more investigation is needed, the recent explosive device directed at Soros and now this:

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/24/660161491/u-s-intercepts-suspicious-packages-addressed-to-clinton-and-obama

The world is full of lunatics who are willing to act on innuendo of those leading their cause. They won't bother to see if that person is a 3rd generation hispanic, they'll just see what they see and act accordingly.  "They're all the same."

Lunatics targeting political figures is not a precursor to rounding up American citizens. Slow down the hype train chicken little, the sky is not falling. 

Trump's mishandling of the Saudi situation is Democratic gold. Why in the hell are you guys going on about this theoretical crap instead of railing on him for something legitimate like that?

28 minutes ago, Hank said:

Lunatics targeting political figures is not a precursor to rounding up American citizens. Slow down the hype train chicken little, the sky is not falling. 

Trump's mishandling of the Saudi situation is Democratic gold. Why in the hell are you guys going on about this theoretical crap instead of railing on him for something legitimate like that?

You are glossing over the point that was being made Hank.  I am not claiming this as a precursor to rounding up citizens. I am claiming that the incendiary language used by the Republican party does serve to embolden the more fanatical supporters to engage in actions that make law abiding citizens who are "brown" (as it was put before) to be very concerned about their safety.  

The government rounding up citizens would be a very bold move and it certainly would draw a lot of questions around the world.  However, inciting extreme behavior in fanatics whose actions may encourage a certain demographic to leave or not show up would draw far less questions as there is still plausible deniability.

7 hours ago, Hank said:

You don't know a single Hispanic person, do you?

• Like (+1) 3

Trump's response was weak and total crap. The man is a narcissist and I can only hope in 2 weeks loses a chunk of his power at the midterms. Enough is enough. If Republicans won't stand up to this guy, maybe the opposing party will. 

Oh and I noticed Lindsey Graham hasn't gotten all outraged over this but talk about a rich white guy assaulting women and his anger flares faster lighter fluid on a bonfire.