Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

Can confirm, as I was born in Germany to American parents.  Evidently the Army screwed something up with my paperwork, and as such INS got involved when my mom tried to register me for Kindergarten when I was five.  Happened again when I tried to get my License at 16.  Had to get my congressman’s office involved at that point.  Didn’t get a license until a month before i graduated.  Now I have a fancy birth certificate issued by the state department... 

15 minutes ago, Hank said:

You misunderstand. Army guy and American wife. That child is a German citizen with  German birth certificate. They'll also have naturalization paperwork and have duel citizenship, but a German birth certificate. 

Oh, I understood, but American guy and German mother, non-married, and the situation becomes complicated.  8 USC 1409.  The "formula" is only guaranteed to work if (1) the mother is American or (2) the couple are married.

Edited by Eleven

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh, I understood, but American guy and German mother, non-married, and the situation becomes complicated.  8 USC 1409.  The "formula" is only guaranteed to work if (1) the mother is American or (2) the couple are married.

How is that at all relevant to what I said?

16 hours ago, JujuFish said:

That is not my premise and if that was the implication you took, then I have not been clear enough.  The point is that if you're restricting birthright citizenship to only those who have citizen parents, then the logical repercussion is that anyone who cannot prove their lineage with respect to citizenship can no longer be a true citizen.  If, say, your great grandmother was never a US citizen, then by your birthright logic her child (your grandmother/father) isn't a citizen and thus logically their child (your mother/father) isn't a citizen and thus logically their child (you) isn't a citizen.

It's faulty logic and a terribly slippery slope.

There's no discussion of proving lineage though and it was never my suggestion to enact some kind of retroactive policy back the formation of the United States.  Those who are citizens today are citizens today and remain citizens.  The rule was the rule.

The proposal was simply going forward.

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

There's no discussion of proving lineage though and it was never my suggestion to enact some kind of retroactive policy back the formation of the United States.  Those who are citizens today are citizens today and remain citizens.  The rule was the rule.

The proposal was simply going forward.

There have been a lot of things that there hasn't been a discussion about until suddenly Trump makes it a discussion. Granted I think immigration issues are and have been ongoing and should have been worked on in a bipartisan fashion. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

There have been a lot of things that there hasn't been a discussion about until suddenly Trump makes it a discussion. Granted I think immigration issues are and have been ongoing and should have been worked on in a bipartisan fashion. 

Such as sending 15,000 troops to the Mexican border with the caravan 1000 miles away, 5 days before the election.  Nope, not a political stunt at all.  How much is this going to cost us?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Such as sending 15,000 troops to the Mexican border with the caravan 1000 miles away, 5 days before the election.  Nope, not a political stunt at all.  How much is this going to cost us?

Less than his golf trips? 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

Not as much as you might think, troops get paid the same no matter where they are or what they're doing. 

It's the transportation and housing that's going to be expensive, not the compensation.  Do we have barracks for 15,000 soldiers on the border?  (I honestly don't know.)

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's the transportation and housing that's going to be expensive, not the compensation.  Do we have barracks for 15,000 soldiers on the border?  (I honestly don't know.)

They'll live in tents. Costs will be fuel, food and water. This event will replace scheduled training exercises though, so food and water are cancelled out. Only real expenditure is fuel. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Less than his golf trips? 

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

They'll live in tents. Costs will be fuel, food and water. This event will replace scheduled training exercises though, so food and water are cancelled out. Only real expenditure is fuel. 

Ok, so less than the golf trips, then.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh I wasn't referring to Trump there.  Just my suggestion in hashing through the concept I had floated.

Those tariffs still aren’t working.....

U.S. trade deficit rises 1.3% in September to $54 billion. Imports up 1.5% to record $266.6 billion. Exports also increase 1.5%, to $212.6 billion. Deficit with China hits new record despite tariffs. Trade gap on track to reach 10-year high in 2018.

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Those tariffs still aren’t working.....

U.S. trade deficit rises 1.3% in September to $54 billion. Imports up 1.5% to record $266.6 billion. Exports also increase 1.5%, to $212.6 billion. Deficit with China hits new record despite tariffs. Trade gap on track to reach 10-year high in 2018.

Those tariffs cost Buffalo 77 jobs yesterday.  

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/bak-usa-to-close-immediately/71-610353438

"The additional, unanticipated expenses associated with the tariffs imposed by the White House were a deciding factor in our ultimate decision to close."

This is going to happen to businesses all over the country.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Those tariffs cost Buffalo 77 jobs yesterday.  

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/bak-usa-to-close-immediately/71-610353438

"The additional, unanticipated expenses associated with the tariffs imposed by the White House were a deciding factor in our ultimate decision to close."

This is going to happen to businesses all over the country.

Yup.  we laid off last month. And early retirements were offered this month.  Early retirements offers are typically followed up with more layoffs if they don't get the number of volunteers they want.  Our business is down 20% in the last 6 months.  China is 30% of our market.

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yup.  we laid off last month. And early retirements were offered this month.  Early retirements offers are typically followed up with more layoffs if they don't get the number of volunteers they want.  Our business is down 20% in the last 6 months.  China is 30% of our market.

But brown people!

4 hours ago, Weave said:

It is almost like trade wars are only good for the wealthy...

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

It is almost like trade wars are only good for the wealthy...

59 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don't see how they are good for anyone.  I can't imagine our shareholders are happy with the results so far.....

Because he's been betting against US manufacturing the entire time, as dictated by his creditors in Russia and China.. 

Did Trump admit last night that the Russians stole the election for him?

Donald J. TrumpVerified account @realDonaldTrump

Rumor has it that Senator Joe Donnelly of Indiana is paying for Facebook ads for his so-called opponent on the libertarian ticket. Donnelly is trying to steal the election? Isn’t that what Russia did!?

Typical of our current administration.  From a humanitarian standpoint, good.  But the implications of this, especially as it is being viewed by those it is aimed at... we're in trouble. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/verabergengruen/migrant-caravan-trump-tough-talk-reality?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by Sabel79
Typo

10 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Typical of our current administration.  From a humanitarian standpoint, good.  But the implications of this, especially as it is being viewed by those it is aimed at... we're in trouble. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/verabergengruen/migrant-caravan-trump-tough-talk-reality?__twitter_impression=true

Frankly, the troops we're sending down there are going to be there to protect the migrants from our unregulated militia nuts:

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-administration-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1196855

“Estimated 200 unregulated armed militia members currently operating along the southwest border. Reported incidents of unregulated militias stealing National Guard equipment during deployments. They operate under the guise of citizen patrols supporting CBP [Customs and Border Protection] primarily between POEs [Points of Entry],” according to the documents.

Edited by darksabre