Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

I do mean physical harm.  

That's my entire point about security.  How much money is spent on security for a person who will have a job at most 8 years?  I understand that while in office the position has power but we know that person isn't so amazing that we aren't willing to get rid of them in 8 years or less.

If the person had some unique abilities that needed to be protected, that would be one thing.  There's nothing unique about a president.

Just a rant of mine...  I understand that no security or less security might invite additional attempts at violence.  It could lead to constant turnover as people inflicted harm upon those in that position.  I get all of that... I dunno.  They are just people.

I think this is a really weird take. In theory we're supposed to be putting high quality, intelligent people into these positions. Now...I can't help what the GOP decides to do on the regular, but if there was no security for someone like Obama do you think he would have even run for that job? No way. Some lunatic right winger would certainly have taken his life. There were undoubtedly attempts made that we never heard about. 

So if we're not offering any protection to public high profile public figures, what kind of people do those positions attract? People who have a death wish as their only qualification? Maniacs? Criminal warlords who show up with their own secret police to protect them? 

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

I think this is a really weird take. In theory we're supposed to be putting high quality, intelligent people into these positions. Now...I can't help what the GOP decides to do on the regular, but if there was no security for someone like Obama do you think he would have even run for that job? No way. Some lunatic right winger would certainly have taken his life. There were undoubtedly attempts made that we never heard about. 

So if we're not offering any protection to public high profile public figures, what kind of people do those positions attract? People who have a death wish as their only qualification? Maniacs? Criminal warlords who show up with their own secret police to protect them? 

Nah.  44 took a page out of 41's book.  Nobody was going to assasinate 41 when Dan Quale was on the bench.  Likewise when Biden is getting elevated.

15 hours ago, LTS said:

I do mean physical harm.  

That's my entire point about security.  How much money is spent on security for a person who will have a job at most 8 years?  I understand that while in office the position has power but we know that person isn't so amazing that we aren't willing to get rid of them in 8 years or less.

If the person had some unique abilities that needed to be protected, that would be one thing.  There's nothing unique about a president.

Just a rant of mine...  I understand that no security or less security might invite additional attempts at violence.  It could lead to constant turnover as people inflicted harm upon those in that position.  I get all of that... I dunno.  They are just people.

The American president has been killed (or attempts have been made) far, far more frequently than any leader of any country ever, including Rome.  I guess that's why we have to do it.

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

Nah.  44 took a page out of 41's book.  Nobody was going to assasinate 41 when Dan Quale was on the bench.  Likewise when Biden is getting elevated.

Except a lot of people wanted Biden to run in 2016 and some want him to run in 2020.  He was no Dan Quayle.

9 hours ago, Eleven said:

The American president has been killed (or attempts have been made) far, far more frequently than any leader of any country ever, including Rome.  I guess that's why we have to do it.

Except a lot of people wanted Biden to run in 2016 and some want him to run in 2020.  He was no Dan Quayle.

Nancy Pelosi keeps getting re-elected & she is one of the biggest morons on the planet.  That people support him is not proof that he isn't an idiot nor that people on the other side of the aisle would have wanted to see him in office.  The only discernable difference between Quayle & Biden is that Quayle was never caught being a plagiarizer AFAIK.

On 8/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, darksabre said:

In theory.. and regardless of your GOP reference.... the list of American presidents doesn't overwhelm me, period.  They are people.

I'm not saying they should not have security.  But the level of security... it's insane.  Moreover, for life.... 

We protect them as though they are irreplaceable, and then replace them.  That's my point.  Protect them like they are replaceable.. because clearly they are.  Certainly not saying that they should not have some level of protection.

9 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Go to 14:50.

Oh my.  And by the way, when you type "Good law person (smart)" into Amazon and hit search, yes, the first thing that comes up is that erotic novel mentioned in the clip.  He wasn't even joking.

Trump's handling of McCain's passing was, um, expected, I guess. He really is just an embarrassment to what it means to be human.

I think he would have been kicked out of the politics thread after his, I'll give him, third post. He can't just disagree with someone or their ideas. He has to call them awful, terrible, disgusting,… This country will be better when he is gone.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Trump's handling of McCain's passing was, um, expected, I guess. He really is just an embarrassment to what it means to be human.

I think he would have been kicked out of the politics thread after his, I'll give him, third post. He can't just disagree with someone or their ideas. He has to call them awful, terrible, disgusting,… This country will be better when he is gone.

He's a child.  It's really that simple.  He acts like a spoiled child.  If Veruca Salt were a male, it would be Donald Trump.  Although Donald is orange and not blue.

4 minutes ago, LTS said:

He's a child.  It's really that simple.  He acts like a spoiled child.  If Veruca Salt were a male, it would be Donald Trump.  Although Donald is orange and not blue.

Yet. That diet of KFC, Coca Cola, and rage is going to catch up with him soon. 

18 minutes ago, Alkoholist said:

Did anyone catch our Commander in Chief coloring the flag wrong?

trump-colors-flag-wrong.jpg

He should have cheated by looking at the flag pin on his lapel instead of trying to copy off that 5 year old girl (I'm guessing).

Yeah, he was trying to do the Thin Blue Line flag (lone police officer), but the blue line is usually the first long bar directly under the stars. Probably started with the blue, did the red, went, "oh... " and well, that's what the pic is of. I have to design them a lot for one of my clients- I've made that mistake before myself. I'm yucked out that he decided the TBL was the way to go with a bunch of kindergarteners, but... "I am the law and order candidate" he said.... *barfs* 

I have actually seen people taking this silly pic seriously, and like.. there's way more important sh!t to take seriously- get your heads out of your a$$ and focus. But then, we've been yelling that at the Dems for years now... should be their damn motto! 

14 hours ago, WildCard said:

Anyone else catch this guy telling Japan he 'remembered Pearl Harbor' during trade talks today

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-abe-pearl-harbor-remember-ripped-trade-1093230 

Honestly?  I just don't even pay attention anymore.  I just assume he says something stupid that insults or offends someone every 3 hours or less.  I feel like even pointing out his insanity is giving him more attention than he deserves.

I'm resigned now to feelings of disgust with Republicans for putting him forth as a candidate and Democrats for not putting forth anyone who could beat him.

You ever watch a commercial that's so awful that you wonder how anyone could have approved it?

Then you think, how bad were the other options that THIS was the option they chose to put forward.

That's how I feel about this whole situation.

56 minutes ago, LTS said:

Honestly?  I just don't even pay attention anymore.  I just assume he says something stupid that insults or offends someone every 3 hours or less.  I feel like even pointing out his insanity is giving him more attention than he deserves.

I'm resigned now to feelings of disgust with Republicans for putting him forth as a candidate and Democrats for not putting forth anyone who could beat him.

You ever watch a commercial that's so awful that you wonder how anyone could have approved it?

Then you think, how bad were the other options that THIS was the option they chose to put forward.

That's how I feel about this whole situation.

I made a similar comment last night. Democrats are really excited about the turnout in their own primaries right now. Which, okay, it's good that Democrats are getting out and participating more. But it's kind of a self-own too. The Democratic party effing sucks at the "doing the politics" part of politics. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/04/politics/bob-woodward-book-donald-trump-fear/index.html

The book opens with a dramatic scene. Former chief economic adviser Gary Cohn saw a draft letter he considered dangerous to national security on the Oval Office desk.
The letter would have withdrawn the US from a critical trade agreement with South Korea. Trump's aides feared the fallout could jeopardize a top-secret national security program: the ability to detect a North Korean missile launch within just seven seconds.
Woodward reports Cohn was "appalled" that Trump might sign the letter. "I stole it off his desk," Cohn told an associate. "I wouldn't let him see it. He's never going to see that document. Got to protect the country."

On 8/29/2018 at 4:03 PM, darksabre said:

I made a similar comment last night. Democrats are really excited about the turnout in their own primaries right now. Which, okay, it's good that Democrats are getting out and participating more. But it's kind of a self-own too. The Democratic party effing sucks at the "doing the politics" part of politics. 

Because they have to cater to the left, and that always sucks.

On a side note, Aretha Franklin's funeral:

I mean how much of a public figure she was, If I'm part of her family, I would be disgusted on how the funeral turned so political.   I mean they decided she should be celebrated as an American icon but I think it got out of their hands to much.   Instead of celebrating a great woman in the music industry, the aftermath is just so disgusting, and the press has a hand in it to.    I mean very political figure in the back was portrayed as horny old men when Ariana grande was singing.    And you got people using the stage to pull out their political agenda.    proud they should be the press and everyone else.

14 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Because they have to cater to the left, and that always sucks.

On a side note, Aretha Franklin's funeral:

I mean how much of a public figure she was, If I'm part of her family, I would be disgusted on how the funeral turned so political.   I mean they decided she should be celebrated as an American icon but I think it got out of their hands to much.   Instead of celebrating a great woman in the music industry, the aftermath is just so disgusting, and the press has a hand in it to.    I mean very political figure in the back was portrayed as horny old men when Ariana grande was singing.    And you got people using the stage to pull out their political agenda.    proud they should be the press and everyone else.

Well.. the US is embroiled in a political controversy the likes which has never been seen.  The brash and public display by the President has led to an equal or greater response by his opponents.  In turn, this has led to an escalation of chest thumping by anyone involved with either side.

It's brinkmanship and it's downright concerning if not scary about what could happen given the right spark.  I'd love to give the benefit of the doubt but as the saying goes, a person is smart, people are stupid.  Once the mob mentality gets going it will be hard to stop.