Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

Tnis is about to get fun.  Refusing to voluntarily speak w/ Meuller, he’ll be subpoenaed.   Protesting his innocence as he does, it’ll be a bad look for Trump to take the 5th.  Except, he has no other option, really, so he will.  Then, about three minutes later, he’ll take to twitter to profess his innocence again.  At which point, we’re he anybody else, he’d be somehow even more screwed than he is now.   But, as is his wont, he’ll skate for any one of a variety of reasons.  

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Well, yeah.  "Don't take life too seriously.  You'll never get out of it alive."  --Elbert Hubbard.

It's a good quote.  However, I don't want to die now.. I want to die later.  

14 minutes ago, LTS said:

It's a good quote.  However, I don't want to die now.. I want to die later.  

The author died on the Lusitania, which makes the quote even more special to me.

I think you're going to be ok for now.  Especially if you're white.  It's the longer-term consequences of the celebrity-in-chief's actions that worry me.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

The author died on the Lusitania, which makes the quote even more special to me.

I think you're going to be ok for now.  Especially if you're white.  It's the longer-term consequences of the celebrity-in-chief's actions that worry me.

I don't know about that.  Between the increasing racial tension and the increasing international tension I do fear some level of escalation where someone looks at me as a white man who subscribes to that nutjob's platform simply because I am white.

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I don't know about that.  Between the increasing racial tension and the increasing international tension I do fear some level of escalation where someone looks at me as a white man who subscribes to that nutjob's platform simply because I am white.

That's a fair point.  

12 hours ago, Eleven said:

The short term consequences of his actions, especially as they appear ready to be signed off on by the Republican majority in Congress, have the potential to be quite disastrous.  Even now, Russia is telling us to move troops out of Syria and we will, Venezuela is our next target, and Yemen is being left to starve and die.  We must either put a stop to it or prepare for our recompense.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The USMCA (NAFTA 2018) appears to be a very good deal for the US. Even CNN had good things to say about it. 

Unemployment is the lowest it's been in a half century. 

Kavanaugh is being voted in tomorrow. 

I'd say things are looking pretty good for President Trump right about now. I hope Republicans turn out in November, I'm curious to see what President Trump can accomplish without Democrats trying to obstruct everything he tries to do out of pettiness. 

Edited by Hank

1 hour ago, Hank said:

The USMCA (NAFTA 2018) appears to be a very good deal for the US. Even CNN had good things to say about it. 

I'd say things are looking pretty good for President Trump right about now. I hope Republicans turn out in November, I'm curious to see what President Trump can accomplish without Democrats trying to obstruct everything he tries to do out of pettiness. 

You mean, just like the Republicans did with Obama? This upward trend started eight years ago, if not more.

Go Team!

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Things are looking good for him ATM.  This should horrify all of us.  

The funniest part of all this is that the only thing Trump has actually done, I think, is the tax cuts. Nothing else has actually been passed. He sure talks a lot, but I'm not sure he actually does anything. And I'm not even sure those tax cuts are going to end up being good in the long run, I mean, other than making the rich richer, but whatever. As long as Hank feels good about himself today. it's worth it.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

The funniest part of all this is that the only thing Trump has actually done, I think, is the tax cuts. Nothing else has actually been passed. He sure talks a lot, but I'm not sure he actually does anything. And I'm not even sure those tax cuts are going to end up being good in the long run, I mean, other than making the rich richer, but whatever. As long as Hank feels good about himself today. it's worth it.

He also go to rid of NAFTA and then renegotiated NAFTA with Mexico and Canada individually... so he' should go to that going for him... 

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

You mean, just like the Republicans did with Obama? This upward trend started eight years ago, if not more.

Go Team!

It was wrong then but not now? That seems short sighted. 

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

He also go to rid of NAFTA and then renegotiated NAFTA with Mexico and Canada individually... so he' should go to that going for him... 

Yes, he should get credit for NAFTA, which was a win for the country. 

1 minute ago, Hank said:
2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I don't think any of that has been enacted yet, though. We don't have a king, yet. It all has to be voted on by the house and senate, thank god.

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

It was wrong then but not now? That seems short sighted. 

You sure don't seem to think so.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Based on what? I voted for Obama too. I stated repeatedly in the old politics thread there were at least a half dozen Republicans I wanted instead of Trump, I just couldn't vote for Hillary, you should remember that. 

I care way more about a new NAFTA agreement/jobs increase/unemployment rate/N Korean nukes/Iranian Nukes than I do about what the president tweets. Macro vs micro. 

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Based on what? I voted for Obama too. I stated repeatedly in the old politics thread there were at least a half dozen Republicans I wanted instead of Trump, I just couldn't vote for Hillary, you should remember that. 

I care way more about a new NAFTA agreement/jobs increase/unemployment rate/N Korean nukes/Iranian Nukes than I do about what the president tweets. Macro vs micro. 

Total side thread. Why couldn't you vote for Hillary. I hear this a lot and think it's funny.

N. Korea is a side show. has been for decades.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

Total side thread. Why couldn't you vote for Hillary. I hear this a lot and think it's funny.

I promise I'll come back to this, but it's a longer answer than I have time for right now. 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

As a vet, I'm sure Benghazi is in the answer. Yet, this guy,

What's the point of the video? The president says stupid ? That's not a revelation. The only logical reason for the video to me is you're hoping I provide you with a "gotcha" moment. You're being quite an ass towards me tonight. On the bright side, I no longer feel compelled to give a long, thought out, reasoned response. Here's the short one: she would have slashed the defense budget, closed military bases and weakened our national defense. That's what I feared anyway. She talked about getting rid of the VA healthcare system. 

The USMCA is substantially the same as NAFTA.  There's not much difference at all, other than some TPP-style IP protections (and both Trump and Clinton were against the TPP during their campaigns).  Not sure he really "did" anything here.

44 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The USMCA is substantially the same as NAFTA.  There's not much difference at all, other than some TPP-style IP protections (and both Trump and Clinton were against the TPP during their campaigns).  Not sure he really "did" anything here.

That seems like a position out of ignorance. Even CNN, who lives off of Trump hate (I would say thrive but they are significantly behind Fox news, and behind MSNBC in cable news ratings), sees the new deal as a US win. 

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/01/politics/nafta-usmca-differences/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

For God sake man, put your Trump hate aside and at least try to be objective. 

9 hours ago, Hank said:

What's the point of the video? The president says stupid ? That's not a revelation. The only logical reason for the video to me is you're hoping I provide you with a "gotcha" moment. You're being quite an ass towards me tonight. On the bright side, I no longer feel compelled to give a long, thought out, reasoned response. Here's the short one: she would have slashed the defense budget, closed military bases and weakened our national defense. That's what I feared anyway. She talked about getting rid of the VA healthcare system. 

It was not meant to be a gotcha. I had this discussion with my BIL. He said he couldn't vote for after she said something like, "are we still talking about Benghazi?", because he found it so dismissive of the men that died there.

I found that video of Trump way more telling of how he truly views the military (not the lip service he gives to get votes.) I found his reaction disgusting.

Sorry if I was an ass last night, but c'mon, don't pretend like your initial post didn't have a little chest thumping, go team intention behind it. Maybe a little?

15 minutes ago, SwampD said:

It was not meant to be a gotcha. I had this discussion with my BIL. He said he couldn't vote for after she said something like, "are we still talking about Benghazi?", because he found it so dismissive of the men that died there.

I found that video of Trump way more telling of how he truly views the military (not the lip service he gives to get votes.) I found his reaction disgusting.

Sorry if I was an ass last night, but c'mon, don't pretend like your initial post didn't have a little chest thumping, go team intention behind it. Maybe a little?

Swamp, I'm not a republican. Leading up to the election many posters were so............I don't know the right word. Mean spirited? Condescending? Vile? Arrogant? I'm not sure.....  It definitely came across, to me, as group think pack mentality. It rubbed me the wrong way. Sometimes I'm an @sshole about it. I don't like Trump, but I'm curious. I care about the American economy, jobs and unemployment. I don't know if Trump has very good ideas on how to improve those things, but I want the opportunity to find out. 

Edited by Hank