Eichel switching to #9 (OFFICIAL)

Hoss

Eichel changes to 9  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which number do you prefer for Eichel?

22 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

If I may: Your opinion is that the number-change is strange, odd, that it indicates some sort of problem or issue, and/or that it is worrisome -- yes?

So, there's gotta be a theory underlying that opinion. What is your theory? Or, what are your theories?

I guess I am struggling against the idea that all opinions are underpinned by theories. I don't have some master theory about Eichel's number change. Perhaps theory has become a pejorative word, because it's attached to conspiracy so often.

If there's a theory, it's that Eichel is not happy with his first three seasons and he thinks a number change is going to do something for him. Which I find odd. If that's "wackadoo" then I think it's a sign of the times where a reasonable opinion can't be respectfully disagreed with. Hell, I've already been given the mantle of conspiracy nut over it. At least I'm not a troll anymore.

Also, if my thought is wackadoo, then I can easily say the opinion that Eichel just likes the number and nothing in his head is behind the move is equally cray cray.

Edited by PASabreFan
the govt

Okay. No real theory, grand or otherwise. It’s just worrisome to you that a pro athlete might think he can shake up his mojo a bit by going back to a number that he’s always loved and recently became available, after three  disappointing seasons.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. My opinion of this opinion of yours is that it’s wacky. And you may view my opinion that the number change is benign as cray cray. 

I do think the jury’s *very much* out on who and what Eichel will be as the team’s leader. Maybe in that regard we’re of a mind?

5 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think PA is right, but I also don't think his take is unreasonable. 

I don’t think wondering if he’s a little bit of a headcase and using this as a small piece of evidence is unreasonable, but I do think PA is a little over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Have you ever heard that hockey players are a superstitious lot?

I have heard that some hockey players are superstitious, yes. I don't know if Jack is one of them. Maybe he is and is hoping that he won't get injured this year if he is wearing #9. Maybe he is happy with his past seasons but think he can be even better. Maybe it's nothing more than he likes it so he took it. Whatever the reason, I won't view it as some fatal character flaw in our hero.

i just hope it turns out better than the guy out west (for the life of me I can't remember who it is) who had to wear 37(?) for two years because a vet had his 10(?), he switched to 10 and had two crappy years, so he switched back and went on to score like 50. (Ring any bells, anyone?)

EDIT: Found it. It was Bure. He wanted #96, but Quinn made him wear #10. 2 great seasons. He switched to 96 and blew out his knee one year then had a crappy next season. Switched back to 10 and scores 50. My mind ain't what it used to be.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

Lou won't let players wear 13. Zero players wore 13 with the Devils until he left. He was asked about it and thought it was crazy anybody would let a player wear 13. I imagine he'll have to suck it up since Barzal wears 13 with the Isles.

He also generally wouldn't let players wear numbers over 44.

8 minutes ago, N S said:

Smell,

Are you not a card carrying member of the Soccer / Football Club?

If not, please consider this your official invitation.

Much Love,

NS

oh, yeah - i'm up in there. 

i posted that here because it was apropos of the discussion regarding whether an intra-career number change is cause for concern.

(spoiler: it's not.)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The electrifying Sadio Mane is switching from #19 to #10 after the coveted #10 became available because of Coutinho's departure to Barcelona.

As a devoted fan of Liverpool, I am totally okay with this.

201445445-696x497.jpg

Was this written in English?  In my head it doesn’t sound like English.

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The electrifying Sadio Mane is switching from #19 to #10 after the coveted #10 became available because of Coutinho's departure to Barcelona.

As a devoted fan of Liverpool, I am totally okay with this.

201445445-696x497.jpg

Maybe if Eichel were electrifying I wouldn't be as suspicious about it. He hardly carries the cachet of a Sadio Mane.

Edited by PASabreFan
sausage fingers
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Maybe if Eichel were electrifying I wouldn't be as suspicious about it. He hardly carries the cachet of a Sadio Mane.

Maybe electricity is the key, here.

Dwayne Johnson, once upon a time "the most electrifying man in sports-entertainment", changed his name (not just his number!) to Rocky Maivia to break into the wrestling industry, changed it again to The Rock and absolutely exploded, and then changed his name back again to Dwayne Johnson, to the tune of becoming the highest paid actor in Hollywood. 

All about that electricity. Where can Jack find some?

16 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

oh, yeah - i'm up in there. 

i posted that here because it was apropos of the discussion regarding whether an intra-career number change is cause for concern.

(spoiler: it's not.)

Gotcha.

OK, and to keep on point here.

Along your train of thought here ... would CR7 be the same awesome and electrifying player that he turned into if he had remained CR17?  I suspect ... yes.

That said, CR7 has a much better ring to it than CR17, IMHO.

Edited by N S
my terrible typing skill set ...
  • Like (+1) 1

And another thing.  This whole switching to #9 is not uncommon.

Edin Džeko, star striker for the BiH National Team and Roma ... formerly of Man C. and Wolfsburg famously switched from #11 to #9 on all uniforms.

I have a BiH Home and Away Džeko jersey, both with #11.  Not that I would ever, but I wonder if they would be worth more to collectors.  I bought them in Sarajevo and I wear them everywhere, with pride.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.