Bobby Hull

Eleven

I have known of the DV for long enough that I do not remember learning about it. The Hitler comment is news to me.

Similar to OJ in that you can never take away what he did in the field (ice) but I don't see any reason to continue honoring this coward at league events.

I vomited in my mouth a bit every time NBC cut to him in Winnipeg. The man's an incandescent dumpster-fire.

There's still a statue of him in Chicago...

Also, the Nazi stuff went a bit farther than "Hitler had some good ideas" as I recall. I'll see if I can dig something up.

I have known of the DV for long enough that I do not remember learning about it. The Hitler comment is news to me.

Similar to OJ in that you can never take away what he did in the field (ice) but I don't see any reason to continue honoring this coward at league events.

I didn't know about the domestic violence stuff, which is not surprising given that domestic violence is covered up so often even today, much less 40 years ago.  I DEFINITELY didn't know about the Nazi stuff and I really want more info on that.

In Amish like communities, someone is shunned until he repents.  The community elders have a PROCESS of reviewing and voting upon the shunning. There is a also a process for re-admittance.  This article leaves no room for repentance.  The Amish also don't go around publicizing and sensationalizing peoples' failures.

The Hitler thing sounds like the type of thing a rambling drunk might say.  Let's see if a sober dude can get away with some level-headedness. Obviously Hitler was an evil man who had the charisma to lead others into evil.  But the rebuilding of Germany was undeniably remarkable, for at least a season. That seems to be what rational people can agree upon. Also, historians are recognizing today that Hitler had little choice but to invade Russia as the Russians were lining up a MASSIVE army on the border...Why doesn't Stalin get more/as much hate as Hitler? Stalin killed MANY more millions of people, his own citizens even!

Hilter killed Jews.  Stalin killed Jews, Christians, and basically anyone who held steadfast to his religion.

I would venture to say that the group think, PC, culture of today is almost as bad as the Communists. Antifa fights fascism with fascism. 

Where are the objective observers?  I guess that it's just too much of an ego stroke to condemn another soul.

Edited by etiennep99

I didn't know about the domestic violence stuff, which is not surprising given that domestic violence is covered up so often even today, much less 40 years ago.  I DEFINITELY didn't know about the Nazi stuff and I really want more info on that.

Here's one article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-08-26/news/9808270083_1_worthy-idea-nhl-players-nhl-star-bobby-hull

I happened upon an old friend who was part of a group-share STH we had, back in the day (including some Aud time), when I stopped over at a mutual friend's house to watch 30 minutes of the Jets/Knights game. It was a pleasant surprise. This dude is famously laconic -- and was given to saying pretty abstract stuff. So much so that we sometimes called him "Buddha" (I think he actually posted here for a while).

Anyway. When the camera cut to Bobby Hull during that one segment, I didn't know who the hell it even was. The mutual friend eventually blurted out: "BOBBY HULL!"

Muttered Buddha: "What a fu**ing embarrassment he is. Why do they keep trotting his ass out?"

And nothing more was said on the subject. So, it's good to have some context.

Edited by That Aud Smell

In Amish like communities, someone is shunned until he repents.  The community elders have a PROCESS of reviewing and voting upon the shunning. There is a also a process for re-admittance.  This article leaves no room for repentance.  The Amish also don't go around publicizing and sensationalizing peoples' failures.

The Hitler thing sounds like the type of thing a rambling drunk might say.  Let's see if a sober dude can get away with some level-headedness. Obviously Hitler was an evil man who had the charisma to lead others into evil.  But the rebuilding of Germany was undeniably remarkable, for at least a season. That seems to be what rational people can agree upon. Also, historians are recognizing today that Hitler had little choice but to invade Russia as the Russians were lining up a MASSIVE army on the border...Why doesn't Stalin get more/as much hate as Hitler? Stalin killed MANY more millions of people, his own citizens even!

Hilter killed Jews.  Stalin killed Jews, Christians, and basically anyone who held steadfast to his religion.

I would venture to say that the group think, PC, culture of today is almost as bad as the Communists. Antifa fights fascism with fascism. 

Where are the objective observers?  I guess that it's just too much of an ego stroke to condemn another soul.

If Hull were Amish, or if he had lionized Stalin, something in this might have some relevance.  But he wasn't, he didn't, and this doesn't.

Holy .  I had no idea.

What in the holy living fresh hell is this?

I always love the Hitler takes that are like, "yeah, bad guy, obviously - no one denies that. BUT, ... ."

Here's what was written about and quoted from Bobby Hull in 1998, btw (from the linked article):

Former NHL star Bobby Hull told a Russian newspaper that Nazis were not without merit, that the black population of the United States was growing too fast and that genetic breeding was a worthy idea.

"Hitler, for example, had some good ideas. He just went a little bit too far," the Hall of Fame player told the English-language Moscow Times.pixel.gif

Asked if it would be fair to describe him as a racist, Hull reportedly replied: "I don't give a damn. I'm not running for any political office."

That does not sound like the ramblings of a drunk guy. That sounds like the words of a virulent racist and xenophobe.

Speaking for myself as an objective observer: Bobby Hull up the rear with a broken champagne bottle. 

To loosely quote Bill Burr "sometimes people just live too long".

Walt Disney is the best example. He was a Nazi sympathizer and racist but he died in the 70's so nobody cared and now that's all swept under the rug. If he had lived longer his company probably would've been boycotted and the empire probably wouldn't even exist today or at the very least it would have a different name for all the theme parks and media content.

Edited by Alkoholist

Maybe if he said, communism as a whole in the beginning was a good IDEA, he could get a small pass; Before Hitler, back when the manifesto was constructed. The ideas were novel, unfortunately will never work in society, and I know of no utopian area that works (lord of the flies anyone). But yes once it got in the hands of the terrible souls, we were doomed.

As for everything else, F him and his son

FWIW: A Googling of the terms bobby hull hitler indicates that he promptly denied having made the comments -- using language that sounded as though it were scripted by a PR agency.

He also said that he'd sue the publication(s) that printed the stories claiming he'd said those things. I see no indication that he ever took such steps.

Why are we still talking about this dolt?  :)

Honestly didn't know about any of it.. mostly because it wasn't something I would go out seeking information on.

That said... yea, time to stop bringing him in.

My uncle, who has passed away some time ago, but prior to that I was pretty much estranged from, said the exact same thing about Hitler.  That was a big part of the estrangement.  He was a WWII veteran who served in Europe from D-Day to the end.

I wonder how many out there feel that 'Hitler had some good ideas', but are afraid to say it?

Makes my skin crawl.

My uncle, who has passed away some time ago, but prior to that I was pretty much estranged from, said the exact same thing about Hitler.  That was a big part of the estrangement.  He was a WWII veteran who served in Europe from D-Day to the end.

I wonder how many out there feel that 'Hitler had some good ideas', but are afraid to say it?

Makes my skin crawl.

He may have had a good economic idea or two, who knows, because if he did, it’s been completely obscured by the fact that HE WAS HITLER.

Anyway. Back on track, let’s hope the NHL allows The Golden Nazi to fade into relative obscurity.

Serious question, and one posed without the benefit of doing any research on the facts:  if the only time he ever allegedly said these things was in Russia, to a Russian publication, and he immediately denied it -- is it fair to give him the benefit of the doubt as opposed to the publication?

Serious question, and one posed without the benefit of doing any research on the facts:  if the only time he ever allegedly said these things was in Russia, to a Russian publication, and he immediately denied it -- is it fair to give him the benefit of the doubt as opposed to the publication?

No. Someone with his fame and assets would have pressed the issue far beyond a single denial written by a publicist.

You can't make me choose between shouting "NAZIS" and blaming Russians. That's not fair. 

I believe he was a deplorable person. I heard this decades ago. I’m old.

I don’t know if he’s still a deplorable person, or not. This would be intersting to me when opining on how he should be treated, today. And, before someone puts words into my post (“so, you’re saying ....”), what he’s alleged to have done is equal parts dispicable, sad, brutal and hurtful. Maybe I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, but I’ve known good people who were bad for a long time. I need to learn more before applying judgment.

As to nfreeman’s question, I offer the following. Allegations made by Russian newspapers appropriately line the bottom of birdcages. There is no threshold of outrage and effort I need for him to meet in his denials. It’s allegations that “should” be proved, not denials. I think that’s how it works.

I’m skeptical that a Moscow newspaper uncovered what would be an outrageous viewpoint that teammates, fans, and thousand of interviewers over decades failed to uncover. If there’s other evidence, let me know. I won’t judge the veracity of the slander by the intensity of the response.

Edited by Neo

I believe he’s was a deplorable person. I heard this decades ago. I’m old.

I don’t know if he’s still a deplorable person, or not. This would be intersting to me when opining on how he should be treated, today. And, before someone puts words into my post (“so, you’re saying ....”), what he’s alleged to have done is equal parts dispicable, sad, brutal and hurtful. Maybe I grew up on the wrong side of the tracks, but I’ve known good people who were bad for a long time. I need to learn more before applying judgment.

As to nfreeman’s question, I offer the following. Allegations made by Russian newspapers appropriately line the bottom of birdcages. There is no threshold of outrage and effort I need for him to meet in his denials. It’s allegations that “should” be proved, not denials. I think that’s how it works.

I’m skeptical that a Moscow newspaper uncovered what would be an outrageous viewpoint that teammates, fans, and thousand of interviewers over decades failed to uncover. If there’s other evidence, let me know. I won’t judge the veracity of the slander by the intensity of the response.

Again, why did he fight it so weakly?

Ask him. His vexation level is not relevant to the veracity of the allegation.

I’ll manufacture a few possible reasons for his lack of “sufficient” response. Perhaps Bobby Hull doesn’t give a rat’s butt what a Moscow newspaper writes. Perhaps he relies on you and me to consider the source and consider the evidence. Perhaps Bobby Hull expects people to look at accusations critically. In short, perhaps he’s reasonable.

I am thinking of Shakespeare ... “Methinks thou doth protest too much”. Would you accuse Hull of OVER protesting if he’d hired a PR firm and taken out billboards?

You’re reading into his psyche and motive. Fun stuff, perhaps, but not the stern stuff necessary to paint someone as a NAZI sympathizer.

Edited by Neo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.